main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    He never said she was going to be training to be a jedi. All that was said was that "In time you will learn to use the force as I have." That doesn't mean she is going to be a jedi, its largely an open ended conversation. Not to mention, that the context of that conversation was if Luke didn't return. Luke's comment was a response to Leia's hesitation caused by the possibility Luke not returning.

I agree, though, its largely pointless to spin our wheels. We will see what happens when the movie comes out.

2. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Honestly they could also not have Leia and Han together in Ep.7. Very dumb but the ending of ROTJ is just her saying that Luke is her brother so Han has no competition, they kiss and that's it. Everyone just held on to the romance and the EU did the rest but since they can ignore the EU if they want to, they aren't forced to keep them together. They could use the excuse that it just didn't work out, Leia was too focused on politics and Han couldn't deal with it or he got cold feet and didn't want to settle down

Point is, anything can happen and be thrown out or thrown in. For all we know, Luke could have a bunch of kids and train them all and Leia could be childless. Not knowing is kinda scary after so many years with a set story in mind.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I'm a little late for this, but wanna reply anyway on my ow behalf: I would probably go - but it wouldn't be the same - not in any way! The original cast is SW to me! That said - if they "wrap this up" with a ST with the original cast (or a story further in timeline with maybe OC cameos) - and then go back to film what happeed in between with a new cast - I wouldn't mind at all! That way, respects would have been paid, nostalgia would have been honored - and reality would define the new ground.

DarthMak likes this.
  4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *sigh*

It seems that in the absence of real information, people have resorted to battling phantom menaces of their own creation. Take vague ramblings, extrapolate a conclusion based on those ramblings, and then bash the conclusion they just made up.

Do I have that right?

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah we should attack the clones of these creations and develop a new hope of a return of the jedi for the ST so there would be no revenge of the sith thus preventing the empire from striking back...

...or something.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Excellent point.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    :rolleyes: Really? If you take Yoda's line to Luke, "The Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned..." and combine it with Luke's line to Leia, "In time you'll learn to use the Force as I have...", then I don't think the OT can make it any clearer that Luke's intention is to train Leia as a Jedi to restart the order. Obviously the writers can ignore it and make Leia whatever they want but to argue that that is not Luke's intention is arguing for the sake of arguing and that's where I bow out of the conversation.

Echo-07, FRAGWAGON and agentkrycek like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I've said before that I would only want Luke to return from the Big Three, and for Mark Hamill to play him. Han and Leia should just be referenced and that's it. Worse than having all three return, though, would be to have them return but to be re-casted with younger actors.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually do agree with that. My own personal "Big Three" is Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, and C-3P0. That's it. Anyone else is just gravy. It's not that I DON'T want to see Han, Leia, Chewie & Lando again, but I think the story could move on with out them. But Luke Skywalker is key. And the droids. It is, ultimately, R2's story after all.

eht13 likes this.
  10. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I really don't want Carrie in the new movie. That's like casting a bloated, washed out Judy Garland to play Dorothy in a 1960's sequel to Wizard of Oz.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Exhibit A of fans who entirely missed the point of the Star Wars movies.

12. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012
    Point is what?

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Aaaand we again deteriorate into another "too fat, too old" discussion. This isn't "Logan's Run." We need somebody over 30 in these films!

14. Bullhead CIty

Dec 1, 2012
    *Out of line.*

15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah I could live with Luke Skywalker / Mark Hamill as the only one of the Big 3 returning - I could never live with the Big 3 back but re-cast !

eht13 likes this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Exactly. That's what I got out of Carrie's "letter" about Leia. She wasn't saying goodbye to the character, she was saying goodbye to the idea that Leia is perpetually in her 20's. The only way we've seen her for 30+years. Leia aged just like Carrie and we'll finally get to see it. She's saying Leia will finally catch up to Carrie.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Exhibit B of fans who think people have "missed the point of Star Wars movies" just because of one opinion.

You don't want a old, fat, washed up, insane Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia? You've missed the point of Star Wars movies!

BS.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Seems a bit like Carrie is trolling us.

She knows she will always be remembered for doing Leia and largely lives off that, she openly admits her personal life is a mess and Leia lives on as she is despite that. She openly makes fun of herself while on the whole praising Leia despite not really getting what her whole deal was (it was known the actors back then didn't really "get" Star Wars and besides Sir Alec generally thought it was crap).

It's entirely possible given how much she acknowledges the character's significance in her life that she would agree to do it all again. At the same time she is admitting she is not past letting one character dictate her life and she can move on to other things. She doesn't need Leia anymore, that doesn't mean she won't be Leia again.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I tend to think Carrie's letter was done for self-help reasons, almost resigning herself to fact that she may be in the ST.

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    No. Discuss the post, not the poster-darth boba

21. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    The Force is bigger than any Jedi.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not sure how seriously I should take it, but it does sound very negative for Fisher in 7.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole letter just seems fake to me.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Nah. It has her unique voice.

25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Carrie may very well be relishing the prospect of dragging Leia down to her level. Take THAT, Miss Perfect Princess with your 25 year old body!

Protip: people get old, even in the GFFA. Where did Han dig up that old fossil?