Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    People say they don't want old Leia. The real question is, do we want stoned Leia? :cool:

It's pretty well known that Fisher was uh...getting recreational...around the time of Jedi. Heck, her voice changes halfway through the movie. Obviously she's been clean for years and I'm not suggesting that she'd returned to Star Wars off her head. But watching Return Of The Jedi, she looks weary at times. Yes, there was a lot of boredom on that set, especially shooting Endor, which is where Fisher seems to drain a little, but in the context of the movie, she has the look of someone who has been through the wars at times. She wasn't the same spunky, take charge Leia in Jedi, never mind 40 years later.

I want to see these characters 40 years later. Compare young Obi-Wan to Old Ben. In that case they were played by different actors, decades apart, but if you watch Episode 3 and then Episode 4, Obi-Wan has the look of someone who has been through it all. When he says he's getting too old for this sort of thing, I believe it. He has enough in him for one last adventure but time and the weight of the galaxy has taken its toll. Rather than trying to avoid that with Luke, Leia and Han, I say it should be embraced. Warts and all.
  2. SithLord_1270 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I dunno what to say....but the show must go on. I can't imagine them re-casting Leia. But it's still pretty early. Enuff time for her to change her mind.
  3. Jedi Merkurian ST Thread Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    The perfect .gif for some of the wild speculation [face_mischief]

[IMG]
    Last edited by Jedi Merkurian, Jan 18, 2013
  4. johnrain39 Jedi Master

star 1
    I look at Carrie's letter as the same when Sandy in Grease said goodbye to Sandra Dee.
  5. Tan-Wessel Force Ghost

star 3
    Rewatching Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger right now.

I really wouldn't mind one bit at all if Anne Archer took over the Leia role.
  6. EviL_eLF Chosen One

star 4
    Sounds like that to me as well, but don't think that means her character is being re-cast either... just "not in the film".
  7. Breebel Jedi Knight

In the OT, the Leia/Han dynamic was one borne out of conflict. He was the Rhett Butler to her Scarlett O'Hara, but in the end, Leia was a pretty shallow character, and easily the least charasmatic and necessary of the three protagonists. It's why she was put in the metal bikini in the first place - a strongly developed character wouldn't need to provide such fan-service. Episode 7 will do just fine with her having an off-screen role.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    If you read into the letter deep enough, there is some amazing stuff buried within. She gave us her mobile phone number. I have almost deciphered the recipe for Jewish apple cake she planted in there.
  9. grungebunny Force Ghost

star 1
    Carrie is a depressive. She could be in one of those moments right now. Whatever her decision, I hope she doesn't feel obligated to participate in a way that would be a problem for her health.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    This letter is about Hayden Christensen's beard, isn't it?
  11. markdeez33 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think she'll be back. I think this was more or less a way for her to "communicate" with Leia
  12. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Well it was a fun and interesting read but I have zero idea if it has any bearing on her being in the movie.
  13. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    It could mean that Leia will die...

- ...and those two control the pitch.
    - Watch your mouth, kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home!

/LM
  14. Blur Chosen One

star 4
    Sorry to those who want to see "The Big Three" in the ST, but I have 0 interest in this. I liked them all in the OT, but as far as I'm concerned the characters' story ended in ROTJ (at least in films).

Specifically re: CF, a while back I saw her in an entertaining horror film called Sorority Row. She played the den?! mother in a Sorority house. Though the film was not a comedy, I laughed at some of her scenes. I have no doubt I'd do the same if I saw her in the ST. Just not interested in seeing her (or any of the other original characters) again in a SW film...
    Last edited by Blur, Feb 1, 2013
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I agree, Blur. I would see Carrie Fisher in a new Star Wars film and would be urinating all over myself from non-stop laughter. I'd see her portraying Leia in the new SW film and wouldn't be able to stop thinking, "LOL... That's the actress who played Princess Leia".
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Feb 1, 2013
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  16. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    You know, having sat with Carrie for a few hours (which makes me an A-ThOR-I-TY on her inner workings ;) ) I can tell you a couple things.

1) She is a sweet, funny woman - with a WICKED sense of humor. A LOT of things she said to people (that sometimes when RIGHT over their heads but OMG!! She nearly had me in tears trying not to laugh.)

2) She's incredibly self depreciating.

3) When it came to the younger fans, she would fully embrace the character - pointing out to one little girl how Vader was 'her daddy'...

4) She has a WICKED sense of humor.

Me, I would take this with a huge grain of salt as to saying this is the 'Kiss off' - it's just Carrie's gentle, perpetual dig at her younger self and her lifelong association with the character.

And Oh yeah, I would give almost anything to read a true 'Tell All' - it's probably already been written with a 'do not open until 2076' stamped on it and locked in the Lucasfilm archives along with the first print of the Holiday Special....
    Count Yubnub and krtmd like this.
  17. krtmd Force Ghost

star 4
    Darth Chiznuk likes this.