main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Carrie Fisher has passed away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    starfish and CooperTFN like this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Keyser Soze.

CooperTFN likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It feels so much worse waking up this morning than it did yesterday. It's reality now. A thing that's happened. The world is without Carrie Fisher, and there's nothing we can do.

At least she was prolific. I already had a copy of The Princess Diarist that I was going to read soon, but I may spring for the audiobook just to hear it in her own words.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I know people are in mourning, but if we could make sure we don't have individual posts with a lot of images at once, that would be great. It stretches the page and drowns out other posts in the thread. A couple of re-sized images at a time is great. Large pictures or many at once is not.

ma_petite likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also the Wishful Drinking film is on HBO currently. The whole Hollywood tell-all thing had never been that interesting to me before but I'm definitely watching it now.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I noticed that too. I actually went to her show on Broadway several years ago. It's ironic that the documentary on HBO on Demand is set to expire on the 31st.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If you have a lot of images to share, put them behind spoiler tags. That avoids taking over the entire page of posts.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I presume by now you've all heard that Debbie Reynolds has been rushed to the hospital having possibly suffered a stroke.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The hell?

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh ffs.

Darth_Garak and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    RIP Carrie Fisher :(.

She was such a big part of the SW universe & her contributions will definitely be missed. I always hear voice when I'm reading.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Only on Opposite Day. She was the one most excited about coming back.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

From the only time I got to meet her (though I saw her on stage [on which she was hilarious] a few times since), back at Celebration II.

She had the craziest autograph line that wound through the halls of a too-small convention center in Indy (though the line might not be so crazy by modern standards). Through the confusion I (unintentionally, honest!) ended up near the front of the line thanks to some friends and got her autograph after she returned from a lunch break.

Now, obviously, an autograph line at a con isn't generally the most significant way to really meet someone (especially when they need to machine through a huge line) but you got to catch a little of her wit in the comments overheard as you approached your turn and in the brief exchange you get- I only wish I could remember specifics beyond the general impression.

In retrospect, I kinda wish I had gone with a different photo option (I was never a Leia-was-my-first-crush kinda guy like many seem to be) but they only had two to choose from and I guess I figured at the time that the gold bikini was the more iconic option for the character (after the ANH hair buns).

Still, it was a pleasure interacting with her, if ever so briefly.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My understanding is her autograph lines tended to be really slow bc she insisted on actually talking to everyone and make them feel like what they had to say mattered. Even if for literally just a few moments.

That's why I didn't seek an autograph at SWCA.... line was too long. But that's also what seems to have made people's experiences meeting her really special.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Already talked to a few friends and family, and agree it sucks.

I wonder if in the upcoming films, they'll do a Fast 7, and actually keep the character alive with a few scenes and footage already shot. I think it'd be overly dark to kill off 2/3rds, or all, of the original trio.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't mean to say she was too brief with me or anything. It's just sort of the nature of autograph lines unless you have something particularly personal to share.

I didn't, so I guess the one keeping it brief was really myself- I'd rather her time be spent with someone who did (hopefully).

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry, I wasn't saying anything like that. I just meant that I'd heard it was a special experience and I regret not having ever met her.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Now it looks like Debbie Reynolds has passed away as well. **** that's just horrible. I can't imagine what their family is going through. Jesus.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    this is unreal.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Goes to show, you can die of a broken heart. Poor Billie Lourd can't imagine what she's going though right now.

Jedi Ben and Senpezeco like this.
  22. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Mom and daughter die within a day of each other? This has not been a good year for celebrities...:(

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    Just tragic. RIP Carrie and Debbie. Condolences to Billie, sweet little Gary, and family, friends, fellow fans. Such talented ladies...they will be so missed. I can't stop crying... :(

JediFett10, Jedi Ben and Senpezeco like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I can't believe Carrie's mother just died. Heartbreaking.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Debbie Reynolds, like her daughter Carrie Fisher, was a cultural icon, and a wonderful person. She led my favorite song in "Singin' in the Rain", and like her daughter, her talent went far beyond the silver screen. A talented singer, voice actress, theater performer and avid film lover, Debbie, like Carrie, was a person who was larger than life, who reached for the stars, and took life with a smile. Their passings are unbelievably heartbreaking. Two cultural icons in two days, and mother and daughter no less. I can't imagine how the family must be feeling right now.

May the Force be with both of them, always.

JediFett10, Jedi Ben and Senpezeco like this.