main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    This thread can be used to discuss, Carrie Fisher, and her character Leia.

What kind of development do you think her character has gone through?

What kind of arc do you think she'll have in the ST?

How do you think Carrie fisher feels about returning to the role of Leia?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did she develop Jedi powers? Did she stay in politics? Did she and Han marry/still together and have kids? Latter is likely for a protagonist, former is a coinflip

3. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Hmm. Political, some force powers. Sacrifices herself to save child? Child goes on quest of vengence, han saves him/her from darkside. Child shuns force. Becomes smuggler type like han. Like luke i dont see her surving ST.

4. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    My guess is she will still be an active member of the Alliance but secretly a Jedi (trained by Luke in secret). Even the audience won't be expecting it when she whips out a lightsaber and goes to town on some unsuspecting baddies who think she's an average politician. I don't see her getting involved in any major duels or anything, but just enough to show her Jedi skills and surprise the audience. I can see the people that are trapped with her (if it's like a hostage situation or something) looking at each other and thinking, "where'd that come from?"

5. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I think Leia will be retired. It's 40 years later, she's done her duty to the rebellion and to the restored Republic, she may have even been a president for a while. But of all the characters from the OT, I think Leia is the one would want to take a back seat, especially considering what she went through. She watched her entire planet explode and she never really had the chance to mourn, she always had to stay strong for the Alliance. So, once the galaxy has been restored to stability and peace and Leia's job is done, I'd think she'd shy away from the public and settle down, maybe raise a couple of kids with Han. The quiet life. Would she have trained as a Jedi? Probably but she wouldn't be an active Jedi.

So in Episode VII, I think her role would be relatively minor. But if Luke dies in the film, someone has to step up and lead the Jedi and by the end of the film, Leia would take it upon herself to finish training Luke's apprentice (possibly her own child) and prepare the Jedi for the threat, revealed in VII, unleashed in VIII.

Ian Moone likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I know people have suggested that Leia should be the Chancellor now, and I was on board with that possibility for a while, but once I thought about it I think that would be the perfect place for Lando instead. Maybe she could still be involved politically somehow, but I'd really like to see her as a Jedi Master... like the ST's Mace Windu to Luke's Yoda. If I get to see the brother/sister Skywalker team fighting a duel against a Sith Lord I'll be happy as a clam... even if one of them gets cut down.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  7. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    Realistically she'll be a little more than a background character.

I'm sure she will have 'some' screen time but not much. Her characters story was told in the original trilogy and she doesn't need much more development IMO. So I don't see her as a Jedi master with an awesome fight scene or anything along those lines. Those scenes will most likely be for a new character.

She'll most likely just 'be the mom' of one of the newer characters and nothing more.

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    30 years ago I would have loved to have seen Fisher in full-on Jedi mode. Now... not so much. It could be unintentionally comical. At the same time, she has to be a Jedi by this point (forget the expanded universe, Luke says it right in ROTJ "You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have."). So maybe a mind trick or a Force push so she gets her little Jedi moment, but I don't want to see her with a lightsaber at this stage any more than I want to see her back in that gold bikini.

9. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm hoping to see Leia married to Han, and with kids. Hopefully Jedi kids. I'd also like to see Leia with some force powers too. I also would like to see her still involved in politics, I can't imagine Leia not wanting to be involved in the politics of the galaxy.

poundpuppy29 and Lee_ like this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes.

At this point, that answer is the safest. Just don't ask which question it is in response to. It is more a solitary statement. Yes.

Thuro and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  11. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Her last movie was in the hobbit film, she was with her two look a like troll friends

Ian Moone likes this.
  12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013

Lee_ and TheBBP like this.
  13. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Best case scenario for me would be the film establishing Leia as both a fully trained Jedi Master, polititian and mother without worrying too much about the details.

It would be awesome to see her pull out a lightsaber, even if its just a small scene like Obi-Wan cutting off Ponda Baba's arm in the Mos Eisley Cantina from ANH.

mes520 and Lee_ like this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    1) Queen Leia, senior politician in the New Republic.

2) Has some force powers, but doesn't use them much.

3) Chronically has an antagonistic and labile relationship with spouse; repeatedly breaking up and reconciling with her cynical, authority-hating, sarcastic, pirate husband.

4) Mother of Jedi that are too much like their father, that use Jedi powers for a lot of the wrong things- "You do not want to search my ship for contraband." "I do not want to search your ship for contraband." "I am not the smuggler you are looking for." "You are not the smuggler we are looking for."

mes520 likes this.
  15. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think by the time VII rolls around, Leia will have retired from politics. She probably spent five to ten years after ROTJ helping set up a new government before either Luke or Han nagged her into getting out of the office. She's probably a Jedi Knight but hasn't put the hours in to become a full fledged Master. I wouldn't be surprised if, like the EU, her kids are further along in their Jedi training then Leia is, probably because Leia has to spend half her time trying to keep or get Han out of whatever trouble he's gotten himself into.

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Those videos are great. She always seems to be playing a character. You can also tell from the CE vid that Mark has lost a lot of weight since then.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Potty- but in a nice way, although I doubt she'll be bringing much balance to the force.

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think Leia will obviously emerge as the "crone" archetype. That might seem harsh, with negative connotations, but the "crone" is the female version of the sage. In this case Leia has fought the good fight, sacrificed and raised a child or two. When we rejoin her she will be older, and wiser.
    V
    I think she will most definitely be in some sort of political position trying to build the New Republic. I foresee her as a Senator from Corellia or perhaps even the Supreme Chancellor. While I know that she has been set-up as a strong Force user like Luke, I don't see her as a Jedi. It is not her "style" or character although I can definitely see her maybe influencing the weak minded around her with some Jedi mind tricks her brother taught her.
    V
    I know, Hell, we all know how Carrie Fisher feels. Last year Carrie wrote a "Farewell to Princess Leia." It had many, including me, up in arms that she was not going to reprise her role.

http://bullettmedia.com/article/character-study-carrie-fisher-makes-peace-with-princess-leia/

But upon further review it was decided that she was saying goodbye, making peace with the fact that she is no longer that nubile, adorable, sexy Princess but now the crone archetype. I think she is in a good place since she wrote that cathartic piece, has said repeatedly she is reprising her role, is willing to do so and seems to be looking forward to it by her good nature about it. All very positive for us fans but especially the production.

Darth Drangus and DL44Jo like this.
  19. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I would think that politically, Leia would be extremely popular. Having seen her own planet destroyed, I'd imagine that she would be viewed as extremely compassionate and strongly against any type of doomsday projects. Secondly, people know that she truly fought for the rebellion, so she would still be viewed as very heroic (unless some big political shake-up has occurred) and probably garner lots of respect. I could see her as a lifelong politician who sacrificed her Jedi training for her political career and family. I imagine that she'll have some Force abilities that she's developed on the side, but it's not her main focus.

I'm sure Luke has taught her to build and use a lightsaber, though. I agree that while I'm not sure a sustained fight seems well suited for her character. It would be pretty awesome to see her whip it out and defend herself in fending off an assasination attempt!

DL44Jo likes this.
  20. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I would like to see some tension between Leia and Luke. Not "I hate you" tension, but more in the line of Leia wanting Luke and the Jedi to have a place in the Republic, but Luke not wanting to involve the Jedi in an official capacity.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Refresh my memory, when did she indicate she'd go into politics? What if she's the badass Jedi, and Rachel is her Padawan?

And Luke is an old washed up drunk with daddy issues.

22. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Yes. Yes. We definitely did need a thread to admit - we're ready for the bikini again.

23. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Who the **** is Rachel??

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Where have you been?

DL44Jo likes this.
  25. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999