main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

No no no no no….*plugs ears*. Where did you hear this? How legit is this source? I refuse to believe this.

*bites down on pillow to stifle sobs*

Adi_Gallia_9 likes this.
  2. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001

The source is some guy here on the JC. And he doesn't actually say anything about H/L, just about Han and the other poster was interpreting that to mean they're split up. As far as I can tell (and I have been keeping an eye on this), the only sources for the H/L rumor are two posters on IMDB. Could be legit, yes absolutely, but they've also both been wrong about other details they posted (one was wrong about the movie filming in IMAX and the other was wrong about Gwen Christie playing the rogue stormtrooper). So I don't think that rumor is anywhere near confirmed yet. It could be true, it could have been true in an older draft of the script, it could be complete horse ****. I'm trying not to let myself get worked up by it until we hear something else about it from a slightly more respectable source.

But I totally agree Lurknomore, and I will also be really disappointed if they undo all of Han's character growth from the OT and make him some rogue again. I have to think they wouldn't destroy his character arc and again, these are just rumors at this point. We really know very little about the role he is playing in this movie.

Ridley Solo and Yanksfan like this.
  3. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    My theory is that if Han and Leia are not together, it was Leia's choice, not due to Han's 'scoundrel' ways.

Let's assume this rumour is true. Perhaps she wasn't able to cope with the reality of Vader being her father and refused to settle down, never wanting to have kids, instead throwing herself into rebuilding the evil he has undone in the galaxy and pushing everyone else away. With Luke in hiding or missing and Han and her potential daughter running around the galaxy, it seems they have deliberately established Leia as isolated from her loved ones at the beginning of the film. Why though? I think Leia may have more to do with the force and family narrative than we assume.

Her and Han are separated for a reason in order to tell Leia's story, not to make Han seem cooler, maybe?

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They're separated because Han farts too much.

Jcuk and jedinightwing like this.
  5. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

I don't know. I'm trying to think of if there's any conceivable way he could have 25 bounties on his head, at the age of 66, and still have been married to Leia for all these years.

Either there's no Republic at all and they're both still rebels (which would make them both "rogues"), or he's a criminal of the Republic married to a political leader of the Republic (unlikely).

Neither possibility appeals to me, to be honest. I'm fine with the Empire still being around, but I'd like there to be a Republic too to keep the efforts of the OT from being totally wasted. If Han is still a smuggler and still single... yeah. That feels kind of wasted to me.

Ridley Solo and kubricklynch like this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I didn't read the rumor, as I tend to avoid most of them, but I'm totally team "Han is still a scoundrel". It doesn't need to be ANH level, but I personally never bought the idea that Han was completely reformed and ready to just settle down and be some kind of government or straight laced military official. I'd love to see a more gray Han and, if still together, a Han and Leia who are together despite differences.

As far as them being potentially broken up, I'm still totally comfortable with that. I'm fine either way, as long as the story is well told. But if they are broken up, or never really stayed together long after ROTJ, I'd like to see them reunited during the trilogy.

Or at least have their love reaffirmed before one of them...dies. :_|

7. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I can understand why they'd want Han to still be the man general audiences remember from the OT. Heck, I feel like I should've predicted they'd make this choice. I'm just hoping they've still found a way to also keep Han/Leia alive while keeping Han a "ne'er do well".

Maybe there is an Empire and a Republic and Han smuggles items (people?) across the border. The desert planet at the beginning of the movie could be in Imperial territory, and that could be why he has the 25 bounties on his head. Maybe he, Daisy, and Chewie are working to smuggle John out of the Empire (the way East Berliners were smuggled out of the Soviet sector). That would still make him a rogue, but the kind of rogue who could be married to the Chancellor of the Galactic Republic.

That's actually the last thing I want to see. Decades of estrangement, then one last "I love you" before one of them kicks the bucket.=((

"All those wasted years..."

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The reason I can buy an estranged Leia and Han so very easily is that all the seeds were in place in the OT.

They are very different people who we never actually got to see in an actual relationship. Their happily ever after is assumed, not guaranteed. The OT didn't end with a wedding, or even a long term commitment. We're left with two people in love, who still have massive lifestyle differences.

It's not unrealistic to assume that Han and Leia got married, had a kid(s) and are still together. But it's also just as plausible that they tried to make it work, their differences were insurmountable, and they split ways decades ago. I can very easily see reality setting in once the rebellion was over. I can see Leia throwing herself full force into the difficult transition of transforming a rebellion into a galactic government, and Han finding fulfillment in the life he knew before now that the excitement of rebellion has died down in favor or government building. Especially since I'm one who doesn't believe Han's scoundrel life was ever resolved in the OT so much as it was put off. When we met Han at the top of TESB he was making his exit until Luke's disappearance and the arrival of the Empire sent him running, along with Leia, for his life. Then he's frozen, defrosted a year or so later, and BAM it's time to attack the second Death Star. We never, ever got to see Han's feelings about going back to his former ways as the events of Empire and Jedi assured that more pressing matters needed to take precedence.

I'm a Han/Leia fan, but I'm not one who feels their love story is invalidated just because they might not have rode off into the sunset. I do want them together at some point in the ST, absolutely, but I don't need VII to open up with them having been married for 30 years.

jedilips and ksb36 like this.
  9. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah, yeah ,yeah…it's plausible they broke up. But it's also a very depressing thought. Might as well take the just as plausible option of keeping them together. Maybe they're a bit estranged at the moment? Fine. Rather they didn't go there, but I could accept that. But all out broken up or divorced? Or worse, they never really got together at all after ROTJ? Please spare me that.

I like Lurknomore 's scenario .That way Han still has that "edge" that we remember from the OT, but it's not an all-out regression back to being a "scoundrel" either. As much as people might be nostalgic for that version of Han, for him to go completely back to that would undermine his character arc from the first trilogy.

EDIT: I also agree about hating the "they were apart for years, but reaffirm their love before his death" scenario. That's just too tragic for words. The wasted years! You can't get those back…..*sigh*

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't find it any more depressing than other great cinematic loves who broke up and reunited in a later films. It personally enjoy watching reunions more than domestic bliss.

I also think the upside to a broken up/need to reunite angle is more dedicated Han/Leia scenes.

As far as the deathbed confession, obviously that's not optimal. But if they are estranged and there's no plans to reunite them, I would rather there be some affirmation of their undying love than crickets, or worse, be left to think that they never really did love each other beyond a once youthful fancy.

This is all probably moot as I'd be very shocked if Han and Leia get the kind of dedicated, romantic material to support a reunion. With all the new trilogy seems to need to accomplish it would make more sense to just have them already married and happy to be together.

11. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    I see a third option for Leia and Han, which is very good friends, who once had a romantic engagement that did not outlast the external pressures put upon them. I am guessing that we won't see a true "romance" plot line between Leia and Han, but more of a resolution to the ups and downs they have experienced with each other over four decades (!).

I think (hope) there will be considerable energy and time spent on re-establishing the relationships among the Big 3. Leia-Han, Leia-Luke, Han-Luke. Many, many events have transpired since the end of Jedi, and they are going to have to bring the audience up to speed very quickly on just what these characters have been up to since we last saw them, and how they are relating to one another.

jaqen likes this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't think they'll go with "friends"; there is no dramatic tension or pay off in that. Han/Leia are one of cinema's most well known romances. I don't think any writer could get away with creating a film where they aren't either together, or getting together; "good friends" just wouldn't ever work. That would have been like Marion coming back for Indy 4 and having her and Indiana just be "good friends". Or Lois and Superman becoming just best pals in the next couple films.

That's really the main draw of episode VII for me, at this point. I really hope for some quality scenes, and interesting developments, regarding the OT3. I've longed to see a follow up for this group since I was a kid and it's downright thrilling to think that they'll all be together again, onscreen, around this time next year.

13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    You know, given we haven't gotten any rumor, reports or sneaked on-set photos of Carrie, there's only one conclusion we can draw about her participation in Episode VII. She's playing a ninja!

Artoo-Dion and yogacat like this.
  14. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000

I agree with this part very much. I would rather just have them be together, and any "dramatic tension" between them could be as a result of something going on in the films. Again, I'm not opposed to things not being "perfect" for them, but to unravel everything just to dedicate screen time to "putting it back together" seems unnecessary. Unless the "split" was something very recent. That wouldn't be too bad. As long as it's resolved of course. But again, I don't know why they would feel the need to have a "Han/Leia love story 2.0". Especially since I'd imagine any "romantic" story lines would probably focus on the new characters.

We already saw and know Han and Leia's love story. Why retell it?

15. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Agreed with both of you on this point. I love Han, Luke and Leia and am excited that they're all going to be in this movie. But for the future of Star Wars, the focus really should be on the new characters and their relationships to each other and to the big three. I would much rather they spend some time really building up Daisy's relationship with her dad (Luke or Han, your pick) than rehashing the OT relationships.

I mean, I want Han/Luke/Leia to have scenes together absolutely, but like Yanksfan said, it shouldn't be a retread of what we've see previously. That would be one of my fears if the H/L being split up rumors are true. A big plot point of ESB was them getting together - it doesn't need to be a plot point for VII too. I'd rather see something new - like them dealing with a Force-sensitive son/daughter/niece/nephew/whatever.

16. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    https://twitter.com/carrieffisher/status/528351777796923392

Think this means Carrie is still filming? She's at least still in London.

Someone bring her some candy!

And am I the only one who can't seem to embed a tweet properly? I copy and paste the code but it never appears correctly on the forum!!

Yanksfan and starocean90 like this.
  17. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000

Don't know if I'm reading into stuff, but I find that "I've been in costume all day…" comment very encouraging. I mean, if she hadn't realized it was Halloween, then why else would she be "in costume"? Am I right…? :)

18. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Well..she is kinda known for that wicked sense of humor....:p

Ridley Solo, Revanfan1 and CairnsTony like this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

That is is too much like Indy and Marion's relationship in Ford's other franchise.

And it is an overdone Hollywood cliche.

It would be more interesting to see them in Episode VII after 30 years adventuring and bickering together.

Ridley Solo, Yanksfan and Jcuk like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    That wouldn't surprise me at all. She told Jim Jefferies, while filming her Legit episode, that she was going to be in London filming Star Wars for half a year. I always expected Carrie to be there until the very end of filming.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, nothing about Carrie's filming schedule suggests a small part in VII. I think most people around here will be surprised at how much Leia will be in this new film.

There have always been parallels between Han/Leia and Indy/Marion. However the Indy/Marion reunion was long overdue; unlike with Han and Leia, Indy's sunset ride didn't include Marion the first time around.

yogacat likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The Han/Leia relationship is a difficult one. 'The chase' is what made it endearing and involving initially, and then after that both characters became a bit, stale. If they are still together after 30 odd years? I'd like to see a couple who still deeply love each other, but who are often at each other's throats and whose sarcasm is still part of what endears them to each other. Kind of similar to the relationship between Victor Meldrew and his wife in 'One Foot in the Grave'. *only British members will get where I'm coming from with that* ;)

Ridley Solo, yogacat and Yanksfan like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So they're zombies?

23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    What??

24. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Filming all of the boring political scenes last. ;)

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.