main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Han Died First.

Vohnkar and jaqen like this.
  2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Han died when he didn't let the wookie win.

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I'm interested to know this too - in fact we don't even know if Luke is going to reveal this himself.

After over two decades of a dictatorship at the hands of Force users, will the people of the GFFA even want the Jedi back, especially if it is lead by Darth Vader's son?

Do the people even know thatPalpatine himself is a Force user?

I would imagine that Leia isn't going to be as forgiving of Anakin as Luke has been.

J_Girl and Yanksfan like this.
  4. DarkCree

DarkCree Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2000
    If Luke is indeed in exile, maybe part of what drove him and his sister apart is her acceptance of Vader as her father. I don't think I would have been as accepting as Luke has been so maybe there some tension there between Luke and Leia over their dad's identity. Luke fully accepted the fact by ROTJ, but Leia may feel that if the truth came out it would ruin her in politics and her and Luke argued over it and pissed off Jedi told her to go Ewok herself...or something.

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

Vocally she's sounding better than she has in a long time.

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    In terms of the potential for compelling drama, it would make sense if at the start of TFA, Leia and Luke's secret about Vader is still under wraps but then at some point in the ST, all is revealed and the consequences of that play out on screen. If Luke and Leia will be more background characters in Ep 8 and 9, their "Vader problem" could give them something interesting to overcome while not being the drivers of the main plot...

7. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    Carrie's episode of Qi, which taped way back in May, I believe.

CairnsTony likes this.
  8. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    Have there been rumors/hints/leaks about her becoming a Jedi Knight like her brother? I mean it only makes sense. I'd like to think they wouldn't just throw that out the window.

my kind of scum likes this.
  9. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004

She can't pull that character off. It would be goofy.

10. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd like to think that maybe Leia doesn't necessarily take up a lightsaber, but has indeed learned a few Force techniques from Luke over the years. Subtle things like Jedi mind tricks or Force pushes would be enough to solidify her status as a competent Force user without going into "goofy" territory.

11. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    It was a huge thread in ROTJ... I'll be extremely disappointed if they don't follow it up if I'm honest.

"You have that power too. In time, you'll learn to use it as I have."

"He wasn't. I can feel it."

So I'm hoping she has some mastery of the force under her belt by now. It's only right... kinda?

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You have no idea what Carrie Fisher can pull off. Take several seats.

13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Carrie looked like an old woman in QI last night. I suppose we're going to have to hope for the magic of cinema. I really don't think she'll be doing that much in TFA. Sat behind a desk looking regal I guess.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I get so damn tired of the Carrie Fisher bashing...in the Carrie Fisher thread.

15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It really isn't about 'Carrie Fisher' bashing... but rather a reality check re. what her role is going to be in TFA. She's a smart, very witty and talented woman... but I'd say that both physically and mentally, Fisher is the most changed from the 'big 3' and most removed from her original character. They will either have to write around that fact or keep her apperance brief. I don't think she can play Leia in a sizeable role... certainly not if playing it like the original character.

16. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    But it's unheard of to see an older force user! Two of the most powerful we've ever seen were Palpatine and Kenobi, and they weren't goofy. Because they weren't 'old ladies' and therefore it's not the same. *sigh*

jaqen and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure what her age has to do with it???

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I wouldn't count Carrie out at all - don't forget, she's also a very well regarded 'script doctor/polisher'. I don't doubt that now that she's a much more confidant person than she was in the OT days, and will actually 'bite back' if things are geared to make her seem 'weak' as an actor.

Yanksfan and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  19. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I am trying very hard to go into VII without too many preconceived notions of where *I* want the story to go.

That said, if Leia was not trained as a Jedi, that will be the one thing that disappoints me the most, honestly. ROTJ heavily implied that was the direction her story would move - heck, Yoda flat out told Luke to train her. It would feel like a blatant disregard for "Chekov's Gun" writing principle for the saga so far to talk heavily about the power of the force in her/her family line and then to turn around and ignore it in the sequel trilogy, in my opinion.

20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the limitations are probably her own and I expect her role to be quite small.

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Maybe Leia rejected it? Her character doesn't strike me as the Jedi type, honestly. She’s a politician first and foremost. She’s her mother’s daughter. I could see her using certain Force powers, like mind tricks and the like, but I just can't see her as a Jedi. Nothing to do with Fisher at all, but more the character of Leia herself.

22. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    She could always be like a Master Jocasta Nu/Atris type Jedi character, doesn't have to be a lightsaber wielding force of nature like Anakin/Luke.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    I disagree. There was one line in a scene with Luke where he says of her force power, "In time, you'll learn to use it as I have." At no point before or after this statement does Luke ask Leia what she wants or what she thinks about becoming a Jedi. That one line was basically Luke deciding Leia's fate for her, as if she were his child with no free will of her own.

Problem is, Leia does have her own free will and I think it would be perfectly in character for Leia to decide she doesn't want to be a Jedi. Unlike Luke, we never saw her come to terms with being the child of Vader, or make peace with him. Leia likes politics, she's good at politics, so why wouldn't she want to stick with that? Because being a Jedi is such a super-cool-mega-awesome occupation that nobody in his or her right mind wouldn't want to be one? Hooey.

Moreover, it's possible that Leia could find some limited uses for her force-abilities without becoming a full-fledged Jedi Knight. I also don't agree that one line, spoken without getting Leia's point-of-view or consent, "heavily" implies anything, let alone that she must become a Jedi.

No, he didn't. He said, "Pass on what you have learned." He didn't to whom.

No, because when the ST opens, Leia won't be the only other living member of the Skywalker family. Almost certainly, Leia and/or Luke will have a child. Whether that child goes by the name Solo or Skywalker, that character will be the grandchild of Anakin, very strong in the force, and will probably go on to become a Jedi in the ST. So no, the force-powers in the Skywalker family line will not be ignored in the ST, regardless of whether or not Leia becomes a Jedi herself.

Yanksfan, Krueger and HanSolo29 like this.
  24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The full quote is "Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is another Skwalker." How is that not saying to whom? At that time, Leia is the only other Skywalker.

Otherwise, of course your argument is sound. We don't hear whether Leia has any interest in becoming a Jedi and all of the talk of her becoming a Jedi are from exterior (to Leia) points of view. Certainly, she could reject that destiny. And no, it wouldn't be out of character. That said, where is it ever implied that she likes politics? Good at it, yes, but we have no idea if she likes that destiny any more than that of a Jedi. Character-wise, it is hard to say which direction she would choose.

I'm not really arguing in terms of her character. On that level, I can agree with you that it is perfectly in character for her to go her own way (It's why we all love Leia - she's no damsel in distress that follows the usual tropes). I'm just arguing as a writer. It was foreshadowed, hinted that she had strong powers and that Luke should train her. If she hasn't been trained, there will be more exposition required to explain why not. In the sort of mythic (fairy tale style) storytelling that Star Wars has been known for, she would be trained. To have her reject that is a more modern style of storytelling.

I'm not saying that it would be bad, that it would make me walk out of the theatre or proclaim that the ST is awful. (In fact, depending on how it is handled, it could make Leia's character even stronger if she denies that destiny) I just feel that it would be a dramatic shift in the style of writing.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

They are going to have to write around the fact that she looks her age? Are you being serious?

You have no clue what her "limitations" are in regards to Leia. All you have are your personal prejudices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.