main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Putting out a publicity photo of Han and Leia kissing, or in intimate embrace, would be misleading if there is no romance between them in the film.

The kind of cheeky shot being described here just doesn't fit the bill IMO.

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yes but things aren't quite the same this time. KK has more of a say. A little Bird told me that she had to apply quite a bit of pressure on JJ to get the trailer out in December. If JJ had had his way, we still wouldn't have seen it. However one looks at it, I can't see him always getting his way, and I'm pretty confident KK wouldn't sanction such a manipulation of people's emotions. :)

3. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Yeah, the promotional photos do tend to reflect plot points or at least which characters are on-screen together a lot throughout the movie. For example, there are romantical type promos of Luke and Leia from ESB as well as Leia and Han from ESB, since they were playing up the love triangle. For AotC, there are millions of promo photos of Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen together, since their storyline was so connected. But there weren't any of Natalie and Ian McDiarmind, for example, since their storylines were more separate.

This photo is certainly not definitive proof of anything, but they're also not going to take random promo photos of every character together without a reason. For example, I would be surprised if we got promotional photos of Harrison Ford and Andy Serkis for this movie, since Andy seems to be a Sith and his story probably won't have a lot to do with Han. So the existence of the photo would seem to suggest that Han, Chewie and Leia will have some screentime together (which we really already knew based on the rumors). Though I do think that even if they don't have a ton of screen-time together, there will be promos of Han, Luke and Leia all together, purely for nostalgia's sake (and I will LOVE it).

Also, I'm dying for that inevitable Solo family promo with Han, Leia and Rey. :D And I'm just going to hope that the next promo photo we hear about is an update of this, since I do think that would be pretty indicative that H/L would still be together!

[​IMG]

coxie0520, Knessa84 , jaqen and 3 others like this.
  4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Oh my god, this literally made my freakin' day (No, seriously. It did. I'm pathetic). I want to see this photo *sooo* bad. And yeah, maybe I'm being naive--because I certainly see the point jaqen is making--but I can't help feeling a little more optimistic about those two after hearing about this. Like, at the very least, they're probably sharing a lot of screen time together (after all, I've never seen any publicity shots of Carrie hamming it up with Yoda, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough). But we'll see. I don't know why I am (and always have been) so invested in those two crazy kids being together, I just am. But, you know, they're just too freakin' cute for words. So leave me alone.:p

Anyway, I also liked the description of Leia's costume (not so much the hair, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about it). I like that it implies that she needs more practical clothes, as she tends to be in the midst of a lot of action. Sounds good to me. Sounds like the Leia I knew in the OT. I'll take it. :)

J_Girl, yogacat, HanSolo29 and 2 others like this.
  5. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    MODified: Keep your thoughts about how you would objectify another human being to yourself.

TheBBP and jaqen like this.
  6. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Me, too. The news of this photo makes me a little less inclined to believe that Han and Leia will be estranged. That's one prediction I would LOVE to be wrong about! [face_dancing]

At the very least, I don't think they will be divorced. Maybe angry and a little bit estranged over a recent fight.

Right. I think Leia will probably change costume at least once in the film. We still might get to see her dolled up.

I was part of that debate, but anyway it sounds like she has grey and blonde hair. So, whatever. I'm just happy that somebody has seen Leia and she's looking good. [face_party]

HanSolo29 and Yanksfan like this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Speaking of misleading promo photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:p

8. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    There are so many great promo photos/stills/behind the scenes pictures of Carrie from the OT since she is such a ham. I really hope they release a bunch for the ST too! I'd kill for some behind the scenes photos of her on set!

9. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yes, she is still attractive, but must we be so base with our comments?

10. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I never had any doubts that Carrie was going to be great as Leia again.

Reading the description of her costume - I am so looking forward to it!

jaqen likes this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

The little birdie strangely doesn't know how hollywood (and basic business) hierarchy works.

Kathleen Kennedy, as the president of Lucasfilm, and in close business partnership with Disney, wouldn't need to apply "pressure" to a director no matter whether he wanted a trailer released or not. The footage belongs to them. They can cut 10,000 trailers if they like, without even asking JJ what he wants.

12. BucketOfBolts

BucketOfBolts Jedi Padawan

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm thrilled! to finally have some info on what the Leia and Han look like and that they're together. :D
    I think the outfit Leia is wearing is telling as well- that she'll indeed have more 'action' oriented role than not.
    Also, the color of her hair threw me at first. I expect grey but not the blonde. She has always been a brunette.
    Interesting. I wonder if she has been in a lot of sun and perhaps it is sun bleached? Maybe Tattooine? There are rumors of her surrounded by Hutts in concept art.

Adi_Gallia_9 likes this.
  13. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Hmm…that's an interesting thought. I never thought of that. Maybe Leia *is* hanging around that desert planet as well. We've already seen proof of the Falcon being there, so maybe Han and Leia aren't the negligent parents we've been assuming they are. ;)

14. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    The person in question actually knows quite a lot about the business. My point was and remains that there appears to have been some tension between the two of them over this. Irrespective of how much influence JJ does or does not have, there was a difference of opinion over the trailer release date.

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I do think there's definitely reason to be optimistic. I personally, despite being fine with Leia and Han being broken up (for awhile), really think it's far more likely they're together. I just think jumping to a bunch of conclusions, based off the description of one promo shot, might be setting ourselves up for disappointment.

So far, if this is correct, we've got Leia, Han and Chewie in a promo shot. And a description of a potentially action oriented outfit. That's it. We don't know if she's married, whether she's a politician, Jedi, general, or even if her potential action parts are indicative of a greater action oriented role. I'd just hate to see us get super let down based off on photo.

I think the blonde looks great from the time Carrie was shooting and just hope that's what he saw. That looked more blonde than gray, which is what I said months ago. The only thing I absolutely did NOT want was a fully gray haired Leia, which some specced based off Carrie's blonde hair. To me that would age Leia well beyond her years.

16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    So, are we thinking this is the color?

[​IMG]

17. BucketOfBolts

Dec 1, 2014
    Leia's role in TFA hasn't really generated a lot of speculation. I think most people expect her to be a politician or the new leader. I have too, tbh, that's all we've known her as-now that the books are legend- up until the end of ROTJ.
    Anyway, glad to have some new info. The surprises just keep coming! Thanks MSW! :)

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    MODified: Keep your thoughts about how you would objectify another human being to yourself.

19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I think it's only a surprise for the people who assumed speculation = reality.

BucketOfBolts and plaidphoenix like this.
  20. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    I agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on a promo shot, but the way I see it is this:

The grouping of the shot -- Leia with Han and Chewie, but not Luke or anybody else -- tells us that Disney/LFL wants the audience to associate Leia with Han and Chewie. Given the history of these characters, the natural conclusion is that Leia and Han are still a couple. At the very least, this implies Han and Leia are still on good terms with each other, so either they had a very amicable break-up, or they are still together. This smells very much like a Solo family portrait, without the kid(s).

Of course there are probably other publicity shots that include both Luke and Leia, but the fact that this publicity shot was even made gives me a nice warm-and-fuzzy feeling about the fate of our favorite couple.

On the hair...I really, really don't want to get into the whole grey-vs.blonde debate again, but I will just say that one of my primary reasons for thinking Leia would be grey has more to do with Harrison. He is the biggest star of the OT3, and according to rumors has the biggest role of the OT3. Clearly Han will have grey hair, but if his wife has the hair color of a young woman, then Han would look older by comparison.

Having said that, it's just one picture and light-colored hair can look very different depending on the lighting. So we'll just have to wait and see if MSW was right about the hair.

21. BucketOfBolts

Dec 1, 2014
    True. At least it's something new to talk and speculate about.
    Then again, her hair color/clothes could mean absolutely nothing. Maybe she just got a bad dye job. It happens :p

22. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I was unable to find a Hutt in episode 7 thread so i thought maybe this might be the place as it mentions Leia. She is a Hutt Killer after all.
    " We could speculate that Leia has to convince the Hutts to join the rebels instead of the imperials but faces some rocky problems since she choked Jabba the Hutt to death. There is room for an idea like that in the film, but it seems outside the flow of what we know for the movie."
    http://makingstarwars.net/2015/01/star-wars-force-awakens-will-hutts-return/

Grain of salt to be sure but maybe its in the cards of episode 8? I do like that they are puppets and not CGI.

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Or, like the similarly themed Indy and Marion, they're estranged and then reunite.

Something that a lot of Han/Leia fans in this thread have seen as unacceptable.

Yeah, we will see. I just don't buy this reasoning. If that were the case we likely wouldn't have ever gotten this:

[​IMG]

Harrison Ford has had lots of leading ladies since he went all gray, most of whom are much younger than Fisher and Allen. To my knowledge none of them had hair dyed white in order to make him not look so old in comparison. Why would that be an issue now?

24. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    And we're entitled to have our opinions on that matter! Just as Luke fans are allowed to be upset at the thought of him going to the dark side. I think as long as no one's veering off into "CHILDHOOD RUINED!!!111!!1" territory or pretending they'd walk out of the theater it's fine to have some worries and doubts about this movie. You'd have to be a robot to have none!

You're right in that Harrison Ford may not have an issue with a younger looking leading lady in some of his other movies, but the costume designer or JJ or someone could have decided for this movie they want Han and Leia to look more alike. Leia with blond hair would be a departure from her OT look and there would be a conscious decision behind doing that. It wouldn't just be a whim - costume design isn't like that. So it could be they wanted Han and Leia to look more alike. It could be that, as suggested earlier, maybe Leia's been spending a lot of time on Tatooine and her hair has been bleached. Could be they just wanted to show the passage of time. Hopefully there will be a delightful book explaining all the design decisions like this. I've just finishing up the Star Wars Costumes book that came out in the fall and it's so much fun (and Harrison Ford WAS a total diva about his costumes in the OT and was picky about what he'd wear and what he wouldn't. For what it's worth!)

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So maybe Leia is on Tatooine as well. Given her shooting schedule of six months it makes sense that she'd be in more of the film then just the Alliance base. We have the Falcon on Tatooine which suggests Han is there, we know Rey is there and we have evidence that Leia is there as well. The Solo Family. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.