main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    WOW --- thanks for posting this --- I had seen the first one -- but never saw the one for Calgary before. I adore Carrie for many reasons. Thanks.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that based on the story beforehand, Leia will be more the statesman/leader and less the Jedi hero. Leia has always been a prominent government figure, and with her getting older and having to look after the growth of a new government for the entire galaxy, she is even more likely to be immersed in that.

I am sure there will at some point be a reference to her Jedi power, whether or not she is an actual Jedi. In any case, that won't be the gist of her role in the story, although she may end up using her powers at some key moment in Episode 7.

I think they will keep Luke as the Jedi hero and trainer.

If they totally did a flop and made her a major Jedi that trained others, with minimal government involvement, that COULD still be a good thing. I just hope if they are going to change things that much they have a really good story in mind.

3. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I can't say it's etched in stone - because we know things can change. However both Fisher and Hamill were approached to get in shape in the last year. And I know Carrie has lost 50lbs since last November -- she's down to 132. And there's also an interview on the net with Harrison where he is at a function for his charity and he's asked about Ep 7 and he finally confirms that he has agreed to make the trio complete. (Not in those words- exactly but it is his first confirmation - instead of ducking the question like he usually does.)

Even if they are not in the forefront -- I think they will be included/involved.

maychild likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, I know all this (well, as far as I've heard, the getting in shape-thing is just a rumour), but I'm actually not holding my breath anymore. Hopefully they will be in it, and I'd say it's likely they will, but I'm not as 100% convinced as I was a few months ago. Probably just because of the lack of news though.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The fitness bit was confirmed by Fisher, so it would qualify as more than a rumor at this point.

They are clearly just waiting for a strategic time to announce the Big 3, although it is getting kind of annoying the way they are stringing this out.

I am sure that at minimum someone would have denied their participation by now if they weren't going to be in it. All of these "no comment" answers by Harrison make it pretty obvious; he would just be saying no if he weren't going to be in it.

jaqen, Gemma and Darth Raiden like this.
  6. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Thanks! The Stones have a whole bunch of songs that fit into Star Wars themes -- at least the Dark-side:
    - Paint it Black
    - Give Me Shelter
    - Not Fade Away
    - Play With Fire
    - Beast of Burden
    ... to name a few.

Gemma likes this.
  7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013

DL44Jo likes this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Leia's heavily rumored return is the one I'm most excited about, as she's my favorite of the Big 3.

I'm most interested in seeing Leia in the political realm, as well as hopefully getting a little action. I don't expect her, or any of the big 3, to be the centerpieces of action, but I would love to see them get similar active roles as other older characters did in previous installments and in other franchises like Star Trek, X-Men, and LOTR (and Luke I think would be great in a Gandalf type role). Fisher said she'd love to shoot a gun again, and I'd love to see her do it. But I am really fascinated in Leia as a political figure, to see where she ended up.

Personality wise, Leia was mature far beyond her years. There isn't much that needs to happen on that front for her, as her original character traits are easily transferrable to an older woman. However I do think a new trilogy is a great opportunity to take advantage of Fisher's growth. She's an incredibly funny woman, brimming with intelligence and wit now, and a much better actor. Perhaps they can translate that into a slightly wittier Leia. And it would serve the movie well to give Fisher some stronger dialogue than she was accustomed to in the OT.

Fisher is a mother now and I'd like to see her play a maternal Leia.

Big fan of the Han/Leia romance, so I can't wait to see the resurrection of that interplay. I'm wide open to where they could be all these decades later, so I'm game for whatever, as long as it's crafted well and respectful of what once was.

Unlike many others, I have no real need to see Leia as a jedi. I mean it would be cool I suppose to see her express herself with the Force in an overt way, but I'm not desperate to see it. If it did happen, I'm far more game to see Leia exert the Force without a light saber. No part of me needs to see Leia in a duel. But imaging a scene where say somebody fires a pistol at her, or one of her kids, and Leia, like her father before her, stops the blast with the Force? That would make the audience go crazy.

Physically I hope Leia is gorgeous. I hope Carrie gets in the pretty good shape, and that hair, make up, wardrobe, lighting, etc help create a beautiful extension of the lovely woman from the classic films. I like older women, and have zero issue with seeing a much older Leia, but I do think she needs to look really attractive, even in her 50s or 60s. I'd actually appreciate a nod to Amidala/Padme, and have Leia in more elaborate costumes and hairstyles akin to her mom vs her original looks in the OT. Visually it would be a great way to tie Leia to Padme.

Ian Moone, maychild and Gemma like this.
  9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hmm politics- then I hope she gets arrested in the first 10 mins for fiddling her expense account, and goes to prison for about three episodes.

Give the woman a lightsaber- she got da force.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That might happen.

Lucas said he had the simplistic, black or white gowns for the darker times in the OT, and the more colorful, pretty clothes that Padme wore to reflect a time where the universe is not rules by tyranny. I would tend to think that they will bring Leia in dressed to reflect a time where the government is functioning again, and things are peachy (even if not entirely so when you consider whatever emerging conflict there is in the story).

Mystery Roach likes this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

This. In reading through the thread I find the plethora of "Leia would be retired" posts to be a bit absurd. The political figures of the Star Wars trilogy have come much older than Leia would be in the forms of characters like Grand Moff Tarkin and Chancellor Palpatine. Depending on when this is set, Leia could be about Mon Mothma or even Bail Organa's ages in Jedi and Sith. The Star Wars universe also features advanced medical technology, so it's likely human's life expectancy is pretty long. Politicians are not known at all to retire early, and a 50 something Leia would be in the prime of her political life, with potentially decades left of service to go.

I find it odd that so many fans have expressed a desire to see Luke, and the much older Han, as active figures, yet so many posts want to relegate Leia, played by the youngest actor of the Big 3, as some retired housewife. I can not fathom why Leia would NOT be written as a strong, prominent political figure.

12. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The losing weight thing is a little...well Leia's a politician (at least in the EU), so I don't think being an "ideal weight" would be her #1 priority.
    Yes if she gets to wear Padme-like clothes, but since she'd be older, they shouldn't be as flashy.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    And this is the point where real world realities will be trumping whatever fictional concerns Leia would have (though it's a bit odd to think that because Leia's a politician, in a very advanced galaxy no less, that she'd have let herself go). I've said it from day one of the announcement of Episode VII that Disney will be expecting Carrie (and Mark) to whittle down their frames, and that has been confirmed several times over. This is the reality of the business, especially for women. I don't believe anybody on the production is expecting Leia to return in metal-bikini fashion, but Carrie Fisher will be expected to strike a still attractive, if much older, Leia. See Rene Russo in Thor: The Dark World, Helen Mirren in the Red franchise, Sigourney Weaver's latter day career, and Ming-Na Wen currently in S.H.I.E.L.D.

Lets please remember that Carrie Fisher is only in her 50s, not making a return as an 80 year old Leia in Episode XX.

I personally wouldn't classify Padme's clothes as "flashy". They were ornate and extremely elaborate, yes, but not "flashy".With the exception of that skin tight white jumper from AOTC and the back baring dress she wore in the "I hate sand" scene, none of her wardrobe screamed youth. All of it would be appropriate on an older woman, even the black leather choker one for a sexy older woman in good shape.

maychild and Iron_lord like this.
  14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I believe I posted this months ago in another thread, but this is from just 2007, after Carrie lost almost all her weight, and I think her look here is perfect for Leia:

Slap her current, long brunette hair on her slimmer self, and you'll have a Leia that has strong continuity with the OT, even decades later.

Blip likes this.
  16. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    She looks good there.

DL44Jo and jaqen like this.
  17. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Let's face it, she is cool. I always expect her to be embarrassing and instead she makes me burst out laughing every time with her unpredictable comments. And no matter what she still has this regal aire about her, in spite of herself.

DL44Jo, Yanksfan, Lee_ and 2 others like this.
  18. handofluke

handofluke Jedi Padawan

Jun 30, 2013
    She honestly doesn't need to lose any weight, she looks fine, and it doesn't matter. If Mark and Carrie show up on set in shape, that's great--but I don't think it's critical.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And this is a picture of her from 2008 when she had lost all her weight.
    [​IMG]
    (she's behind the lamp post)

jaqen likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I like...

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Clearly Disney, and almost every major movie studio in existence, would disagree.

Then again there is typically a huge difference between what fans consider acceptable and what the actual people in the business of making films do.

Ian Moone likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    There's also some difference of opinion among the fans....

jaqen likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Touche. I definitely stand corrected.

24. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    It looks like Carrie and Mark had both lost weight in that first video. Carrie has said that one of her problem areas is her, um, upper story (only she didn't say "upper story," of course), and that tends to make a woman, especially a very short woman as she is, look heavier than she actually is. I don't think anyone expects her to slim down to her ROTJ self -- and let's not forget that part of the reason she was so thin during the filming of that movie was because she was doing a lot of cocaine at the time; it shows in her performance as well as her body -- but it's not unreasonable to think she can slim down to more or less her 2007 self.

jaqen likes this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    True. I made a couplescreen caps of Carrie from 2012 during one of her many appearances on Craig Ferguson for another thread. I'll re-post them here. With her long, dark hair and pretty well done make-up, and some weight loss (not as small as 2007), it's the most "Leia like" I've seen her look in ages. Note that while she doesn't look anywhere near Jedi thin, her face actually isn't that far off from her ANH fullness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iron_lord, agentkrycek and maychild like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.