main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    She has lost alot of weight like Mark ;);)

2. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I don't understand all the comments abou Carrie... I think she's aged pretty well. Better than Mark IMO, but it's nice to see both of them getting in shape. Mark is going to make a great Jedi master with his mature appearance(just needs the beard), and Carrie will be instantly recognizable as Leia. Harrison on the other hand has been physically ready for the role since RotJ

maychild likes this.
  3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Although she sounds like a man these days...

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Fisher is going to look great as Leia. She's lost an incredible amount of weight; just look how small she is even under bulky sweaters and layers. Once she's in well constructed costumes, hair, movie make up, good lighting, etc, I think many people are going to be surprised at how great Leia is going to look in the new film. I'm especially eager to see updated Leia next to Han.

Although she sounds pretty much how she's sounded since the early 80s...

maychild and DARTH_BELO like this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Again, Stay away from commentary involving her physical appearance, mental state, or now her voice. Focus on the fact that we are likely going to be honored with her appearing in the ST.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I know it's almost a given, but I do hope they keep Leia's super long hair and ornate dos.

Just still super excited that we even get to have this conversation about Carrie Fisher (and Mark and Harrison) being extremely likely to star in a new Star Wars film come NEXT year. What a gift!

8. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Agreed. I just wish there was official confirmation one way or another so all the wondering can be put to rest for good.

9. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Here's some commission art made by an online friend: older Han and Leia, based on a photograph of Harrison and Carrie at at 2002 event honoring George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

[​IMG]

markdeez, Gemma, leiamoody and 3 others like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  11. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
  12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    The whole secrecy thing around filming is going to pay dividends when we get our first glimpse of Leia in full splendour. All these pictures of her doing the shopping will only serve to create a bigger contrast.

Yanksfan and TKT like this.
  13. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I really don't get the obsession with Carrie's looks. This is 30 years later. Was she hot in the OT? Yes beyond belief but just like I'm no longer a 3 year old watching ROTJ, I'm 34 and look way different now than then. We change as we age. Yes that doesn't mean we can't be healthy but I think Carrie, Mark and Harrison all look great for their ages and people need to stop with the ageism obsession as one day if we are lucky we will all grow older. Plus Star Wars is rich with older characters throughout the saga.

Gemma, Pensivia, KED12345 and 5 others like this.
  14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    All this did is make me realise that 2002 was 12 freaking years ago.

15. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Bigger nappies too

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Your friend may want to post in the Fan Art Forum on these boards.

17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    My biggest problem with Fisher is not her looks... it her voice. Her voice has drastically changed over the years to this shrill, nasally, whiny accent that's pretty grating:

Can she recapture this sound:

I don't know.

Yancy

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Carrie Fisher is an actor.
    Actors modify their voices for roles all the time.
    Fisher has always pitched her voice higher for Leia.
    This is a non-issue.
    Next.

Gemma likes this.
  19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    No, not quite. Watch the two examples above. Interviews from 83 and 13. In 83, her voice is deep, but soft (kind of Lauren Bacall, Kathleen Turnerish)... that's not her voice today; it's a much higher register and harsh. Years of smoking and alcohol abuse will do that to you. Also she has this weird thing going on with enunciation and sounds where she uses her palate to form words, almost like she wears dentures.

She'll need to work with a vocal coach to find that Leia voice again.

Yancy

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If Carrie Fisher's voice has changed over the years why wouldn't Leia Organa's as well? She ages just like any other organic lifeform.

Gemma, Pensivia, FRAGWAGON and 8 others like this.
  21. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Didn't this thread just get chewed out for delving on the complaints of her looks and voice? So many pessimists.

22. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    It's funny, because watching that first clip I'm not even thinking of her voice (which is fine, as far as I can tell), but rather "huh. I really wanna hang out with her!" :)

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Who in the world would expect a 50 something woman to sound like she did in her 20s?

And no, Leia never sounded like Carrie. Carrie has modified her voice for various roles throughout the years, and I imagine she'll do so for Leia once again. To suggest that she needs a vocal coach to "find" Leia's voice again, as if it were some huge challenge, is absurd. She ain't playing Margret Thatcher or Gollum. Leia isn't a tough voice.

Will Leia sound like she did in the OT? No, hell Leia in Jedi doesn't sound like Leia in Empire. But Carrie Fisher, once again, is a professional actor. She knows how to adapt her voice for a 50 something Leia, and I think it'll require far less work than you imagine.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Because Carrie, being the only major girl in the original all boy fantasy trilogy, is always punished for changing.

Harrison Ford's voice has changed since the 70s, but I don't think I've ever once seen anybody question whether he could get his Han voice back.

25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Heck Mark's facial appearance was drastically altered after ANH.

Yanksfan and jaqen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.