main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Just a quick note: from what I understand, it was Carrie who asked Lucas to make her character a little softer and "not always in such a bad mood." In retrospect, she seems to think that he softened her too much, an opinion that many others (including myself, to an extent) share.

jaqen likes this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Possibly but she's not in the constant captured or on the run mode in VI and her capture by Jabba is an extension of their plan. Besides with 3PO being in real annoy mode two of them might be too much.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Leia's personality is turned down a bit too much in Jedi, but I actually find myself loving what Leia does, action wise, more in that film than any other.

I love that she launched the rescue for Han and successfully unthawed him.
    I love the she took out Jabba the Hutt single handedly (one of my favorite moments form the entire saga).
    I love that she fought along side Luke during the Sail Barge escape.
    I love that she volunteered to be on the Forest Moon ground team.
    I love that she took to the speeders and acquitted herself very well.
    I loved that she helped negotiate peace with the Ewoks
    I love that she saved Han's ass...again.
    I love that she was in the thick of the ground battle action.

Lucas and company upped the action for Leia in Jedi. She was given so much to do. If she'd just been given a few more moments to show her feistier side, it might have ended up being the best incarnation of Leia.

Immortiss, FRAGWAGON, TK327 and 17 others like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This is very true!
    I certainly hope Leia will have a substantial role in EpVII. I hope - if these latest rumours are true - that it doesn't go down like this:

Han: "Well, me and the young'uns are going to look for Luke!"
    Leia: "OK, you have fun! Be home for supper!"

VMeran, ifleninwasawizard and jaqen like this.
  5. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Daisy's Mom

Daisy's mom has got it goin' on

Daisy, can I come over after schoo-oo-oo-oo-ool? (after school)
    We can hang around for a lightsaber du-u-u-u-uel (lightsaber duel)
    Did your mom get back from her business trip? (business trip)
    Is she there, or is she trying to give me the slip? (give me the slip)

You know, I'm not the youngling boy that I used to be
    I'm all grown up now, baby can't you see

She's all I want and I've waited for so long
    Daisy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
    I know it might be wrong but I'm in love with Daisy's mom

Daisy, do you remember planet Alderaa-aa-aan? (Alderaan)
    Your mom came out with just a white dress o-o-o-o-on (white dress on)
    I could tell she liked me from the way she dared (the way she dared)
    And the way she said, "Dantooine is whe-he-he-he-here" (Dantooine's where...)

And I know that you think it's a space fantasy
    But since Han Solo left, your mom could use a guy like me

She's all I want, and I've waited so long
    Daisy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
    I know it might be wrong but
    I'm in love with Daisy's Mom

Daisy's mom has got it goin' on (she's got it goin' on)
    She's all I want and I've waited for so long (waited....),
    Daisy can't you see you're just not the girl for me,
    I know it might be wrong
    But I'm in love with
    Daisy's Mom, oh oh oh oh (I'm in love with...)
    Daisy's Mom, oh oh oh oh
    Daisy can't you see you're just not the girl for me
    I know it might be wrong but
    I'm in love with Daisy's mom

VMeran, jaqen and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  6. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    technical problems...

7. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Because ESB supremacy has been a recurring/running theme in this particular thread for quite some time. The "you didn't like the prequels because you didn't 'get' them" situation you refer to further down in your post, while true (I've seen it), has not happened in this thread (in fact, there have been more than a few unsubtle digs taken at the prequels) or if it has, it hasn't happened nearly as much.

I suppose I didn't make a clear point. Truth be told, I was venting a bit because ESB supremacy really irritates me.

I thought you said you liked ROTS.
    For me, they did undermine the OT a little bit. But I have no idea what that has to do with me (or anyone else) preferring ESB over other SW films.

Touché. :p

That's just about the best summation of Leia in ROTJ (the pros and the cons) that I've ever seen.

jaqen likes this.
  8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Well, I think it's all in where you're posting. In the CT forums, you have to figure it would be more pro-OT. In PT forum, the reverse would be true. And, well, this *is* a "Carrie Fisher" thread. And since she played an important role in the OT, and fans of her are likely to be fans of the OT, it doesn't surprise me that you would find a more pro-OT slant in here. It makes sense. I could find a "Natalie Portman" thread and I'm sure the opposite would be true.

You know what? You're absolutely right. I *do* like ROTS. I guess hating 2/3 of the movies just makes it easier to say "I didn't like the prequels" rather than "I didn't like Episodes I and II." But I suppose that's lazy of me and misleading. ROTS was a completely decent film. Flawed, but decent. (Sort of like ROTJ).

Anyway, you have to admit, maychild, I've mellowed out with the PT vitriol in recent years. Remember the PT debates we had back in the day? Ha ha….of course, maybe I'm just cooling off, recharging the battery, so I can come back in December 2015 and rant on another set of "disappointing" SW films. ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yanksfan, mcgo, and maychild have such similar avatars that it reads like multiple personality disorder. :) I love it.

10. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000

Oh my god, this just literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that. [face_laugh]

EDIT: I'm still laughing.

Zer0, Gemma, VMeran and 5 others like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That is brilliant.

Zer0, VMeran, Yanksfan and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm here all week! :cool:

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Relevant topic photo, if a few decades old:

[​IMG]

14. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    And people want them broken up in Ep. VII....bah. Look how cute they are!

But I love that photo since that's exactly how I would look at Harrison Ford too.

Gemma, Claire1976, VMeran and 5 others like this.
  15. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Good point. Ironically enough, I wouldn't be likely to hang out in a Natalie Portman thread because I'm not a fan of hers (in terms of her participation in SW, I lean more toward "accepting it" than "liking it"), whereas I'm a huge fan of Carrie, and not just because of SW.

Fair enough. I like all the SW movies in greater or lesser degrees, but a few years ago I came to the somewhat shocking realization that none of them, not even ESB, is in my Top 10 Favorite Movies list. Top 20, probably, insofar as I have a Top 20, but not Top 10. Love of SW is often a strange and contradictory state of being.

Indeed I do remember them. And I'm glad that your vitriol toward the PT has mellowed. No, really. I've seen how it has actually increased for some people.Of course, I'm being a bit hypocritical because my own vitriol toward a certain orange-haired EU character has...well, maybe it hasn't increased, but neither has it diminished.

As for the forthcoming movie(s), I'm not all that jazzed for them except when it comes to the Big Three. But they may end up surprising me and being quite enjoyable, as Indy 4 did. I thought Indy 4 was a horrible idea when it was proposed, but I saw the movie three times in the theaters and enjoyed it each time. No, it wasn't comparable to "Raiders," but then, neither were the other two chapters in the Indy saga...except for the "drool over the Harrison hotness" factor, something I know you can relate to. ;)

16. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Oh my god, you know what's funny? And I'm not just saying this to bug you: I came to the opposite realization. I used to say that ESB was just my favorite SW film. But a friend of mine made me realize a few months ago, that it was actually my *all-time* favorite movie. She challenged me: "Name one movie you've seen more times than ESB." Me: "Uh……" (And it's true. I watch it a lot. Not always with my undivided attention, but it's like, you know, a "comfort movie" for me).
    Her: "I think it's time to face it, Yanks. ESB just might be your favorite movie."

Huh. Go figure. But I think she's right….don't tell jaqen ;)

For what it's worth, if I had stuck with the EU, I'm sure my hatred for her would still be pretty strong as well. :)

I'm actually pretty psyched of the new movies. I guess I didn't learn from 1999. ;) But hey, I heard "Harrison Ford hotness factor" in there! YES! Finally, we agree on something!!! :) ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Oh I totally get the "comfort" factor. I use to put ROTJ on nightly back in college to fall asleep. Was like a nice, freshly dried blanket. I doubt I've seen any film more than I have ROTJ.

Though confession time: I've not see any Star Wars film since I saw Revenge of the Sith in the theater nine years ago.

VMeran and Yanksfan like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Watch them now!

VMeran likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm also of the camp that Leia's ass-kicking quotient goes up much, much higher in ROTJ which I dig but her sassmouth is nonexistent, which is a shame because Leia has some of the funniest, sarcastic lines in ANH and ESB. Fisher, if anything, had increased her comedic, snarky persona over the years and I really hope they work that in and bring that back that aspect of Leia's character. I'd much rather have Princess Leia, sassmouth, than Princess Leia, action hero.

VMeran likes this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

"Now" is not really an option, but I am hoping some one puts them up in a theater next year in anticipation for VII. I'd love to see all six previous episodes on the big screen again.

I'd rather not have to choose.

Gemma, Yanksfan, VMeran and 1 other person like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Spike tv marathon, DVD's etc.
    I want both Leia's!

Gemma, VMeran and Yanksfan like this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Oh I don't want to leave the impression that I can't. I own III-VI on DVD and had blu-rays of the OT (that I never opened). I just watched them too much through the years and took a break. At some point over the next year or so I want the entire saga on blu ray. It'll be nice to come back to them with a fresher approach as I watch them all again leading up to VII.

23. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    *waves at Yanksfan "personality"* :p

I completely understand about "comfort movies." I have a few myself. "Excalibur" is my favorite movie of all time, and I watch it sometimes for "comfort," which is odd, because it's not a particularly "comforting" movie on the surface. But I've seen it so many times and know the dialogue; I can watch it or just have it on as background noise.

Yanksfan likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I see. The last SW movie I saw was ANH which, was a couple months ago. Before that? End of ROTJ? maybe?

25. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    (Disclaimer, I have only read a little of this thread so far.)

Have we heard anything about Carrie in this film so far? Right now things are leaning towards a film staring Han and based around the search for Luke. It would be a cinematic crime for Leia to but pushed to the sidelines.

Most people assume that without Luke there won't be a Jedi Order, but maybe that responsibility could fall on her. She could be trained by her fathers old apprentice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.