main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Nancy Pelosi is ok with waterboarding, and lying. She is quite possibly the complete opposite of Carrie Fisher, who is unbelievably honest, and shows nothing but compassion for other humans.

That said, she's brutal with Hutt's.

2. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I am very excited about her hairdo...

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I'll give you Dench as Mon Mothma - cool?

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Han's look is simple and Harrison's aged very well.

Fisher will have the most help between elaborate wardrobe, hair pieces, and make up. We know what she looks like, but we have no idea what Princess Leia does. Heck even back in the day Leia looked very different than Carrie.

Mark is the one I'm most interested in seeing at the moment. I really do hope they go for an Obi Wan beard for him. His face changes a lot with weight, so I'm interested to see how he looks at this age with it off.

Regardless, I think Luke, Han, and Leia are likely to look pretty freaking good in Episode VII.

TKT and Echo-07 like this.
  5. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    As I said, the big thing with Harrison and Mark is hair. Carrie gets makeup and a lot of hairpieces to transform her.

But with the wrong hair, Harrison in particular, will just look like Harrison. It's the main thing that separates all of his big roles is that they all have very different hair lengths. Han has the longest hair compared to Indy (medium) and Deckard (short). The hair on him is important for separating his roles into different characters and to make him not look like Harrison on the red carpet. And this was true even in the ANH costume tryout pictures where Harrison had very short hair in comparison to what he had in the film (sideburns and longer '70s hair) that looks totally wrong and out-of-character on merchandise and those terrible DVD covers. His hairstyle does change between films, but it remains one of his longest hairstyles (the RotJ side part almost bordered on making him look less like Han and more like '80s Harrison--ANH/ESB had his hair split down the middle, though without the spiky fringe and longer sides in ESB). The ANH/ESB sideburns would be the quickest way to get the hair away from Harrison's typical. Harrison's current spiky fringe and a twitch of sideburn is aiming closest to resembling ANH at the moment. The back needs some more length, though. He needs to avoid haircuts for the next few months.

Ditto Mark looking more Luke when his hair is longer, though I'd suggest avoiding the wraparound RotJ look (it's a bit Bieber--yikes!). Perhaps not the full-on '70s Malibu beach kid feathering (LOL), but still longer than the usual. Aim for ESB, perhaps.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  6. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I don't know if any of you frequent the GOT sit winteriscoming.net, but back when S1 was in preproduction there were many hairgates that infuriated a lot of purists, only to be overshadowed by the infamous eyebrowgate...

I don't care what kind of hair Harrison sports, he could be balding for all sakes. It's been 30 years, don't tell me you never changed your hairstyle in the last 30 years...

Yanksfan likes this.
  7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not a hair Nazi, but I do think there's something to be said for a hairstyle being one of the defining characteristics of a character, just as their wardrobe is. That doesn't mean that either one needs to stay the same in every movie, but I do think there should be some consistency in the basic look and feel, unless there's a specific story reason for it not to. I think this is especially important when there's so much time between sequels, because you're dealing with actors who inevitably look a lot different than they did in the previous film and naturally project different qualities due to the difference in age and experience, so any layer of connection you can add to the way they looked before goes a long way in selling the fact that you're looking at the same character. While it's true that people tend to change their style significantly as they age in real life, that's the kind of reality that I think it's better for movies to cheat. There are movies where I have some difficulty buying into the reality because of something like the actor's hair looking so drastically different, even decidedly more realistic pictures like The Godfather Part III, much less something far more fantastic like Star Wars where characters are a lot more defined by things like hair and costumes.

jaqen likes this.
  8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think you have to allow the actors (at this stage in their careers) to inhabit the parts by giving them the freedom to choose. There is no way that Ford is going to adopt the same haircut he had in the OT, or adopt a haircut he feels ridiculous in. For what it's worth, at Ford's age, I think the hair length in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is most flattering... but for all we know Ford may want to be a bit daring and go for the shaved look. Who knows? Point being, let them decide how best to portray the characters.

9. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    But if you look at Carrie and Mark, both have different hairstyles in all 3 movies, Ewan, Hayden and Natalie have different hair in all three PT movies. As long as they recapture the feel of their characters, without overacting I don't see a problem.

10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's what I'm saying though. Their hairstyles were different in each movie, but they all felt authentic to the character. As I said I'm not expecting the same hairstyles from 30 years ago, but I do think that their hairstyles should still feel more authentic to the characters than to the actors themselves.

11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'd like to raise the compliment by stating she does more than just make one swoon (wink). That's a magnificent accomplishment in an age when people are usually so obsessed with the next young thing that they wouldn't necessarily consider a woman of her age attractive. That she can also deliver the goods in talent and intelligence is greater still - but the beauty can't be ignored either.

BTW, never mind her roles in Excalibur or Caligula; if you haven't seen her descending the staircase in Savage Messiah, boy, you've missed something. ;)

Gallandro and jaqen like this.
  12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I love Excalibur and Helen Mirren in it. May have to watch Caligula . . . again! ;)

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    While I don't believe for a second that any of these people will have styles like they had in the OT, visual continuity is supremely important in a continuing saga like this. For example we don't need to see Leia with buns or bow-tie braids, but more elaborate styling and long hair is pretty much a must. Han doesn't need to have a 70's shag, but having a vest or some boots would go a long way. Luke doesn't need the "beiber", but having him in all black at some point would work. Just hints, suggestions, that these are the same people.

I believe, and have stated it several times, I do think a ton of work is being put into making Han, Luke, and Leia update as visually seamless as is possible with this much time between films. Trainers, make up, hair, lighting, wardrobe, will be top notch and do as much as possible to avoid all the inevitable picking apart of these people due to their age. Fickle moviegoers can pick up 70s star Pam Grier 20 some odd years later in Jackie Brown partly because she still looked amazing and like herself. Same with Sigourney Weaver by Alien 4, Bruce Willis by Die Hard 5, and even the cast of the original Star Trek films. Audiences can accept the passage of time better if the character still look somewhat like the versions they recalled.

And yes please to Helen Mirren. Also think Judi Dench is lovely. And these women are old enough to be my mother and grandmother.

Echo-07, Gemma, Mystery Roach and 2 others like this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

I agree except for the part about Luke in black. Luke and Anakin both wore all black in their third movies to show their proximity to the Dark Side. Since Luke resisted being turned, we shouldn't get that again. Personally, I'm hoping for full-on Jedi robes, even though a lot of people don't seem to like them for some reason.

As for Carrie, it depends on her role in the story. I suspect that this is actually as good a case as any for her being in the political arena. I expect Lucas knows that Carrie would love the opportunity to wear some more elaborate outfits after seeing the prequels (maybe not quite as elaborate as some of her mother's, but more than in the OT), and wouldn't just stick her in Jedi robes for the ST.

15. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    IMO the biggest thing with Carrie, like Mark, is getting in shape. It's been pointed out elsewhere, many times, that Christopher Lee was older than any of the Big Three and still managed to get a couple of lightsaber duels. Harrison's already in good shape, especially for his age -- he's always been an outdoorsy guy -- but he might want to do some training too. He did it for Indy IV, and he's 6 years older than he was in Indy IV now.

I hope Carrie doesn't get plastic surgery. Mark has had some, but that was reconstructive after his car accident way back in the 70s, so it doesn't really count. Plastic surgery rarely goes well, especially with older people (she's 57). Episode VII will be set at least 30 years after ROTJ. I'm sure the Big Three have done a lot since then; it should show. And I keep noticing that people complain about Carrie's looks while giving Mark a free pass. I love the guy, but he didn't age that well either. Losing your looks is always less forgivable for a woman than a man, and I'm sick of it.

I think her comment about the cinnamon bun hairdo, only white, is funny. Cinnamon buns with icing on them!

And it's true that even back when the OT was being filmed, Carrie onscreen looked different than Carrie in real life. I've seen pics of her taken around the time the movies were filmed, and if I didn't already know, I wouldn't automatically say, "Oh, there's Princess Leia."

J_Girl, Echo-07, Gemma and 2 others like this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I think Mark probably has a bigger battle than Carrie. Carrie has lost weight as recently as 2012. Somebody else in another thread, or earlier in this one, already said she claimed she's lost 50 lbs since last year, but I'm not sure how accurate that was or where they got the info. Mark has been really overweight for a lot longer so it might be tougher on him. But both know what the stakes are, and from recent pictures it looks like both have been working hard.

As far as looks go, Carrie Fisher said something very telling. She said that a lot of the problems she had with her looks she attributed to aging, just to find out that when she lost weight it was mostly fat. I've posted screencaps and a youtube video from a few years ago that show Carrie looking great when she's smaller in size; weight distorts her face a lot, especially since she's such a tiny woman. Mark Hamill on the other hand started aging really rapidly as far back as the late 80s, and he looks almost completely unrecognizable with weight gain. That's why I think, in addition to weight loss, a nice beard would be the best look for him.

maychild likes this.
  17. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Indeed, Carrie and Harrison's off-screen persons (mainly due to hairstyles, really) look significantly different from Leia and Han because of it. Luke inherited Mark's then Farrah-tastically feathered California blond hair that gradually darkened and then turned into an wraparound egg shape in RotJ (the latter is what I called the Bieber, not the Malibu farm kid).

Carrie will almost certainly have a head full of new elaborate hairpieces on her (though not as much as Padmé). Mark and Carrie are still pretty brunette, so you're likely going to see that. The one thing that is consistent with Luke's hair (and it does get shorter through the films and it loses the feathering bits sticking out of the sides) is that he has a fringe. Personally, I don't particularly want the Obi-Wan beard look and the brown Tatooine/Jedi robes. Luke always chose pants over full robes even in his Jedi wear, so that should be kept in mind.

The obvious with Han that people think of is the vest, but there is equally the option of a jacket. The bloodstripe tight pants, boots and holster gear are a must, though. Simply splitting Harrison's hair down the center, the spiky fringe that Harrison currently has and some sideburns would go a long way to make even a shorter 'do at least sort of seem like something Han would have. The choppy shag might be '70s, but it's more achievable at the moment than the much longer styles of ESB and RotJ (much fuller on the sides). Harrison still does occasionally grow his hair out and he definitely matched his Indiana Jones haircut, so just because it was a long time ago, doesn't mean that he doesn't bring back a character's style. Han simply wouldn't look like Han with one of Harrison's stuffier suit role or short buzzed sides haircuts. The hair does make a big difference, as can be seen in the ANH costume pictures where Harrison's hair was short and people who make merchandise seem blind to the fact that those pictures are totally out of character, even though they look instantly wrong.

Compare these haircuts and the dramatic difference between 'actor' and 'character':
    [​IMG][​IMG]

J_Girl, SnaggletoothPaste and jaqen like this.
  18. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    You may have a point about her weight. Her onetime stepmother, Elizabeth Taylor, gained a lot of weight in the 80s and it made her look older; (she was tiny too) when she shed the poundage she lost years off her appearance. The comparison is valid in another way, as Taylor also had severe substance abuse problems.

She didn't, however, have the mental problems that Carrie has had. I imagine the combination of weight gain, mental problems, and substance abuse snowballed into ageing her before her time. After her weight loss via Jenny Craig, her skin didn't snap back as it would have done if she were younger; it was, of course, most noticeable in her face. Ironically, it caused people to speculate that she'd had a face lift: "What happened to her face? It's a bad face lift!" But that's neither here nor there.

Mark did age very rapidly in the late 80s. It's ironic, because a decade before, he was known for looking much younger than he was. People are surprised to hear he was 24 when ANH was filmed, as he looked more like he was 20 or 21. Carrie, who was 19, seemed older than she was, although that may have been because of her voice, which was low-pitched even then. In her film debut in "Shampoo," when she was 17, her low voice is startling coming from someone so young and so petite.

jaqen and NileQT87 like this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    To be honest, for all her issues, and the aging affects of both narcotics and bi polar drugs, I think Carrie Fisher always looked older than her age. I think she can pass as older than her age in all the films, but particularly in Jedi, where I think she's gorgeous, and uber sexy (as all men seem to), it's still hard to believe she's 25 during most of the filming of that. That's part of the reason I think Leia is very easy to update, perhaps the easiest amongst the big 3. She was always very mature, in look, demeanor, and behavior.

Still Carrie cleans up well when effort is put into her make up and look, as is pointed out from the vid and pics I posted a few pages back. Also part of the reason that she seemed mature beyond her years, beside that deep voice, is how she carried herself and dressed. Carrie has never gone the glam route, never seemed all that interested in holding on to youth, and she was wearing hairstyles, and clothes, that uber aged her even back in her 20s and 30s.

Gemma and maychild like this.
  20. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I was curious if anyone was going to mention that Carrie is bi polar. The meds that the docs can have you on can also create a battle for your weight. I know this for a fact. Carrie has been one of my idols for a long time and even more so when I was diagnosed as being bi polar. I was the one who mentioned Carrie's 50 lb weight loss either in this thread or the Ep7 one. She had mentioned in an interview that I saw on the net (please forgive me I don't have the link) that she had lost 50 lbs in ten months and was at 130 and was looking to lose another 10. I have battled weight all of my life and in 2011 was switched from one med to another - lost 15 lbs in two weeks and now over 18 months I have lost 50lbs and am down to 120 (and have been that for a year). I now fit back into all of my old Leia costumes from my teen years --- it's exciting. I even have a friend daring me to do the Slave Girl outfit.

I do know that the slower you lose the weight - the better for your skin actually snapping back into place which I was worried about. I know Carrie got really small in 2007 and then gained it back only to lose it again in 2012/2013. But I do agree she does clean up nice and she has made a great effort. Honestly I think she started trimming down about the time that Disney bought SW --- she knew what was coming. Also with losing weight --half the battle is incentive the other half is then keeping it off once you've lost it. I also agree that time has not been kind to Mark and he has been out of the limelight so much that he has not kept in shape.

I also figured that movie magic can also help our actors out --- Disney was able to make Jeff Bridges look 30ish and trim in Tron II. But all in all I do agree with the hair comments and the fact that we want the actors to look good and bring the characters that we all love back to life --- even though they will be older.

There is mention in this thread that Ep7 will be picking up 30 years after ROTJ ---- I have not heard anything as to where Ep7 will be starting --- where was this news - did I miss an announcement?

Yanksfan, maychild and jaqen like this.
  21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    With every ounce of respect that I can muster... Helen Mirren is teh hawt.

22. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah, you were right at the beginning... this isn't a place for a political rant.

InterestingLurker, Yanksfan and jaqen like this.
  23. maychild

Jan 16, 2013
    Does anyone have a link to recent pics of Mark and/or Carrie? jaquen, you said earlier that it looks like they've both been working hard judging by recent pics.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    She was in Caligula? I didn't even realize/remember that (quickly clicks to movie site for download).

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I wouldn't mind seeing Carrie Fisher in the ST, but only if she reprised the role she played in Jay and Silent Bob Strike back :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.