main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Carrie Fisher looks great in the new TFA shot.

2. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I don't know. The ring seems too specific for the costume from anything we've seen before. For someone like Jimmy Smitt's character, I don't think they would give it a second thought. For iconic Leia , it seems like it's been thought out in the concept.

Narratively, if someone who was a fan of the original Star Wars saga, I think they would want to keep the Han/Leia history intact, but give them conflict so their relationship is still active in the current story.

3. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Oh, I'm sure the ring is a well-thought-out part of Leia's costume. I just don't happen to think it is a wedding ring. I can't recall ever seeing any character in the GFFA wear a wedding ring. And it makes sense that characters in another galaxy wouldn't follow all of our earthly customs. Many years ago, I remember reading an interview with Lucas where he said he said he wasn't even sure if marriage existed in the SW world. Clearly he backtracked on that, since Ani and Padme got married, and Bail openly refers to "my wife."

On the rest, yes I agree. I very much hope that Han and Leia will be married in TFA, and I honestly think they will be. They might be estranged/separated at the beginning of the story, but I don't think they will be officially divorced. And yes, I would love to see a vibrant relationship with a little bit of conflict and snappy bickering.

Scruffy nerf and Yanksfan like this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As long it's not a Borgia poison filled cameo ring, I'm good.

In all seriousness in regard to Leia's character and her relationship with Han, this would make for a nice Wedding ring.

Leias_Left_Bun and Scruffy nerf like this.
  5. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    I agree that it could be kept vague and the word marriage not uttered. For some reason, the word "married" doesn't feel right in SW dialogue. But I can see in a more tender moment after their His Girl Friday- like bickering, Han caressing her hand and the shot subtly showcasing the ring.

I think Ford and Fisher are going to be great in their scenes together. I have to admit, I'm probably going to be too preoccupied during my first viewing of the film... Okay, not paying attention to all this new information and battles, get to Han and Leia meeting again!

Do you think we're going to get Leia earlier in the film than expected? Will her position be in the opening crawl? Or will it be as a semi surprise in the middle of the film? For me, I'm hoping she's established right at the beginning of the film with her new resistance like in Star Wars, and then it shifts to Ray and co.

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I would presume given the rumored connection Leia has with Poe, we will see her earlier in the film.

7. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Would be very shoehorny if the beginning of the movie introduces Poe and Leia on board a new Tantive called Tantive VII.

8. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  9. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Edgar Allen Poe Dameron Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Don't know if this has been discussed and with 178 pages I'm not going to look but I was wondering if anyone has concerns with Carrie Fishers acting for Force Awakens (and beyond)

I don't know what kind of acting she's been doing in the past few years, some bit parts here and there in low budget, small movies, sometimes just cameos as herself. I'm sure we all know of her battle with drugs and alcohol and when I see her in interviews and comicom, Celebration, etc I feel a twinge of concern and wonder what kind of performance we can expect from her in TFA. I don't think she's ever been considered a great actress but she was good in the original trilogy. I just wonder if the lack of real acting in the last few years or decade coupled with her addiction problems has caused her to lose a bit of her acting "edge" and it possibly showing itself in her performance in TFA.

Am I alone or does anyone else have this twinge of concern?

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    You probably aren't alone, but you probably shouldn't worry about it either. She wasn't exactly getting Oscar nods back then, but she nails the character. She IS Leia, I have full-faith that she can do it again. The folks making the movie seem to think so too.

11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'd be willing to bet that we at least hear but maybe even see Leia (via video/holo screen) talking to Poe very early in the movie. I think she's definitely the first of the Big 3 we see.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  12. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    She's been raised by entertainers her whole life, most of her interviews are improvised performance art. She's done a ton of theater. And her name was being tossed around back in early 1990 for Best Supporting Actress for When Harry Met Sally. She knows the business and she knows what material works for her. She's been vocal about when she was in a fog and didn't feel prepared for certain scenes in Jedi, and with age and wisdom returning to this material, I think she's going in with a really focused mindset. I really think she's going to surprise people.

JJ loves these guys, their his childhood heros; he's going to strive to show them in their best light. It's all going to be good. Just that brief footage of her being slated for her scene, makes me feel pretty confidant.

13. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    Oh, and I also learned from a mutual friend, that newcomer Maisie Sellers loved working with Carrie, and learned a lot from her.

14. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    Good to know, thanks for filling in some gaps for me. This makes me feel more confident. Great post.

15. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    Ugh, they're not their. Sorry.

StoneRiver likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

I won't judge Carrie by her past. I am sure she'll be terrific as Leia again alongside Harrison and Mark. I'm looking forward to seeing what her arc will be. It's pretty cool they've all come around to accepting and really enjoying playing these characters. And it'll be nice to see that joy on screen.

Yanksfan likes this.
  17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    something about Leia in newspaper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

starocean90 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

[​IMG]

19. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    Constructive reply. Thanks

20. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I've said from the start the performances from Hamill and Fisher could sink the film if they aren't up to it.

Hamills small parts recently haven't filled me with confidence esp.

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I don't understand why Carrie and Mark are always mentioned who could ruin the movie with their performances? Harrison didn't have a big blockbuster for ages as well, but no concern for his acting? I saw him in Expendebles 3 lately and it was not really convincing either. [face_dunno]

starocean90 and DarthBreezy like this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

This asinine debate raged for dozens of pages earlier in this thread.

Constructive action would have been to lay down the sloth for a minute and do a simple search. All your questions about Carrie Fisher's abilities as an actor, proven time and again across a career that expands far beyond the close of ROTJ, and includes Emmy nominated work, and is far more in depth then a couple "bit" parts, have been answered ad nauseam in this, the Carrie Fisher thread.

It's not that Carrie (and Mark) haven't done great work post-Star Wars; it actually can be argued that both have landed performances after Star Wars that are, from a purely acting stand point, better than their work in the OT. It's that you, and quite a few others, are ignorant to their work. That's your issue, not an issue with their talent or abilities.

And to bring up the drugs and alcohol? Give me a break. Are you even remotely aware that some of the most acclaimed actors in history have battled all kinds of addictions and mental illnesses? Are you "concerned" about them?

23. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    I don't mind being told to do a search, and perhaps I should have (and have checked this thread a few pages on the subject) I just don't see the need for the cheap shots and insults. I don't spend as much time as others here and don't always have the time to read pages and pages and pages of web forums. I honestly didn't think the subject may have been brought up and that I was alone in my concerns.

I'll be sure to do a proper search in the future so as not to upset some.

hippie1kenobi likes this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Don't mistake irritation for upset. Nobody here is "upset" about your opinion.

Yes, do a search. All you concerns have been addressed.

25. Edgar Allen Poe Dameron

Feb 7, 2015
    He was very good in Age of Adeline. Probably one of his best performances in many years.

jerellis1 and jaqen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.