main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia) in Episode VII (Sad News posted on Page 269)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Exactly this. Many of the plot and character arcs in TFA leave me wondering if I'm watching it in fast forward. Given that the film is at pains to tell us how things didn't pan out as we might have thought/hoped, it's a pity they didn't take some time/effort to properly establish the how's and why's (surely that is more interesting/substantial than Starkillerbase and monsters on transports?).
    I too don't have an issue with Han being killed off, it's more the expendiance of it, whilst not properly establishing the father/son dynamic (which the film requires) for the patricide to be truly dramatic. As it is, in my opinion, the drama (by default) stems from Han Solo's death rather than the drama being bourn from conflict between father and son.

unicorn, Ginger and IamZam like this.
  2. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000

That was my initial thought as well, but I read somewhere, can't remember where now, that Pablo confirmed that Ben was not an accident. I'd sooner believe that Ben was an accident then Leia deciding to start a family right away.

unicorn likes this.
  3. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Sologal
    I find that hard to believe. I just cant see them wanting to have children at that point, though stranger things have happened. In many books of the EU/ (AU), he did want to have kids, but that was several years after ROTJ.

If nothing else, they would want time alone with each other as a couple. ;)

unicorn likes this.
  4. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    There is a rumor that Han and Leia's wedding was filmed but not used.

Sologal and IamZam like this.
  5. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm reading Claudia Gray's interview in the Feb/Mar edition of Star Wars Insider Magazine. She talks about why romantic stories captivate audiences and has become a key ingredient in Star Wars. She says the best romance stories are about synthesis, "Two forces--even if they're opposites--combine and become stronger together." About Han and Leia she says ",,,where he helps her down from her pedestal to have fun and she helps him discover the less cynical, more stable side to his character." She goes on to say, "We love fiction precisely because it can offer the kind of satisfying resolution reality is so stingy with."

It's too bad the filmmakers had to throw reality into TFA. I wished that they had just left H/L alone, together I mean. While watching that stupid scene on Han and Chewy's freighter, all I could think of is, 'This is what they broke Han and Leia up for? So they could do this worthless waste of movie time?; However, I still believe that it's not as bad as some seem to think. At least I'm hoping not. I don't think they had been apart for all that long, otherwise the exchange about her hair and his jacket wouldn't of made much sense. As a side, the way Leia said, "same jacket" I got the feeling that she had never been too fond of it. (Another likely exchange between an old married couple. I love it!).

About marriage and baby, I wouldn't be surprised if they got married on Endor during or after the celebration. For some reason, that's always been in my head canon. I have no idea if the baby was planned or an oops baby. In my head canon they never had a baby so soon.

I haven't seen anything about Han not appearing in Bloodlines. That would be very disappointing. The main article talks about how Leia's family life isn't the main point to the story, but I didn't take that to mean that they aren't in it at all. Maybe someone else interpreted it that way?

I think it would be nice to get a H/L thread together like we had years ago, where we can talk all things H/L, especially their roles in the literature. Maybe in the Star Wars Community section as a fan club? Or else we could make are selves known in the EU discussions if the other posters don't mind our gushing, or complaining about H/L's treatment.

I'm behind in my reading. I'm currently reading the Princess Leia graphic novel, while also starting to read Claudia Gray's 'Lost Stars'. I keep hearing about how good that is, so I decided to give it a try while waiting for Bloodline.

6. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    If it was I would kill for that footage Bn of the wedding. I totally see them as getting married that night.

Can Jedi perform marriages, because that would be sweet.

I was so disappointed in how JJ handles it. At least the actors get it. I saw the while some of it was good as a *wink wink* moment. Especially the way she said.."True..you still drive me crazy.."

The only times we see her devastated are Cloud City when he is frozen and when they miss catching Boba Fett's ship, and on the base when she senses his death and is so overcome age has to sit down.

I know she was able to feel his presence in better times and it made things easier.

They work because they bring our the best in each other and each helped the other to be a better person like true soulmates. They fill in each other's missing pieces.

I was devastated by the break up at first, but not as much now. I'm still disappointed in how it was handled, but I guess it could have been worse.

I realize they can only do so much, but I don't see why they couldn't be a couple and still keep the same story line. It would also allow for a better good by between them.

I hated Kylo at first, but he is kind of growing on me.

It's weird how much I this movie affected me. It's been along time since I walked out of a movie and needed time to.process

Posted by HAL 9000 via Tapatalk

7. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
  8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think Han and Leia married on the night of Endor but I do think Ben was conceived that night.

IamZam likes this.
  9. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I know! We know JJ Abrams broke them up because he wanted Han to be cool single smuggler Han instead of settled down ROTJ Han, but what difference did it really make to the overall plot to have Han be a smuggler? Really not much, other than that monsters scene. Also, JJ seems to not get that a guy can be a cool scoundrel AND happily married - Troy Denning did a great job with this in the EU. JJ said that he couldn't picture Han settling down and it would be a betrayal of his character to have him at home with a white picket fence, but come on, there is totally a middle ground between the two. Married to Leia doesn't mean he'd be working a 9-5 desk job. He could still be out running missions for the Resistance and married to Leia.

Wasn't there a thread ages ago in the Lit forum campaigning for Han and Leia getting better treatment in the EU? I remember because I posted in it a few times way back in the day. Is it still around, maybe we can revive it?

Is the Princess Leia graphic novel any good? Any Han/Leia UST parts?

Yeah, Pablo's tweet made it sound like Han and Leia were already married and then decided to have a baby. But since we know Ben was born 9 months after ROTJ, that seems very, very rushed. I can buy them getting married that quickly, but since the war with the Empire wasn't over with, you'd think they'd want to wait until peace time to have kids. Leia I would think would want some time to consider the implications of having Vader's grandkids.

I agree, I know they were limited by the actor's ages (that's why I wish they'd done this movie 10 years ago instead of now), but I feel like Episode VII should have started with Luke with a Jedi Academy and Han and Leia together, and then watching Ben fall to the Dark Side. Then you build up Han and Ben's father-son relationship, so when he dies in Episode VIII, it has a lot more weight. Having their only interaction together being Han's death scene didn't give the audience enough insight into what their relationship was like before. Even including that scene of Kylo sitting in the Falcon looking wistful would have gone a long way in showing that at one point they were close.

10. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I agree..something to humanize him, show us more of Ben before Snoke for to him. He had to be a good kid at one time. I still believe they used to be close.

"We miss you."

But the fanboys are more interested in making another badass, like Vader, except a little more messed up

I'd like to see more of when he was Ben and they were still a together family. Han doesn't have to turn into Mr. Mom or the dad from Leave it to Beaver. One can be a good loving dad and a scruffy scoundrel they aren't mutually exclusive.

Besides that wouldn't be they guy Leia fell for. She doesn't want that kind of guy, she wants the guy she fell in love with. Just like he'd never try to make her anything other than what she was.

Found this on You Tube. Frustrated much?

Posted by HAL 9000 via Tapatalk

leiamoody, MeBeJedi, Sologal and 3 others like this.
  11. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    In the old EU, some of the Bantam books went too far in the Han as a househusband role, and I agree that was out of character and I couldn't see Han not getting bored and restless in that role. But authors like Zahn, Kathryn Rusch, Allston and Denning did a great job of keeping Han's rough edges and scoundrel personality while having him devoted to his wife. He still went going on adventures while being responsible. To me it shows a lack of imagination that Han could only be a scoundrel while he was also single and a smuggler.

By the way guys, Carrie Fisher's Princess Diaries is coming out October 18 2016 http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Diar...&qid=1455078656&sr=8-3&keywords=carrie+fisher. This is the book that Harrison Ford joked he'd need a lawyer when it got published. I bet it's going to go into her affair with Harrison, and Harrison's worried because he was married at the time.

I had an idea about Bloodline. Claudia Gray said it will show just how far Vader's shadow reaches Leia. We know the book is about how she becomes estranged from the New Republic and starts the Resistance. I'm predicting that one of her political enemies figures out that she's the daughter of Vader and exposes it, thus ruining her political career.

Sologal and IamZam like this.
  12. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    AhsokaSolo likes this.
  13. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Ginger
    I really miss our club thread. A H/L fan club thread in Community would be a good place to start and probably give us more leeway as to what we'd like to discuss. There always seems to be a thread dedicated to the various novels and comics as they are announced, so they would be a good place to voice our opinions too.

unicorn
    All the old threads were locked years ago. I think they are still here, but buried so deep it would be time consuming to find them. Whether or not we could revive one would be up to the mods.

unicorn likes this.
  14. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    At this point, I think it might be easier to start a new one. a version 2.0 as it were. Finding a very old thread would be too much effort compared to starting a new one. If it were only a year or less it would be different.

I like the idea. Though this place seems to have sort of turned into that already.

unicorn likes this.
  15. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Agreed we should start a new thread. Should we start it in Literature so Han/Leia fans can have a presence there like Luke fans with their Save our Skywalker thread? I know TPTB watch the Literature forums. We're also in luck because Jen Heddle is a HUGE Han/Leia fan. She used to write fanfic about them.

I'm a bit disappointed Han isn't in Bloodline very much. Since we know they're still married, I assume he's off on a mission somewhere. I hope we don't see a repeat of the Bantam EU where they were split up 95% of the time.

16. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I'm up for either, but fan club could make it easier to discuss everything including books, but I'm open either way.

or both?

17. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Both might be good and we can stick to books/comics discussion in the Literature thread? If we want to talk about Han/Leia in general we go to the Community thread? Who wants to start it? We should be clear in the Literature thread it's a thread to campaign for better treatment of Han/Leia in the EU or it might be locked for redundancy.

18. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I can do a fan club in community, if someone else wants to do lit. I was thinking about this back when I first returned from the dead, but I didn't want to do it unless I knew there was a large enough interest and not another one that would make it redundant.

Glad to find my tribe again. :)

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Is there a thread for better treatment of Luke in the new EU in literature thread? o_O

Ahhh, just found it. [face_dancing]

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread needs to get back on topic, which is Leia in TFA.

21. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    *our bad*

Though we are, sort of.. ;)

22. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
  23. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
  24. JabbatheHumanBeing