main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    that's what i was thinking... that she might have been "left behind by the narrative," but that the general idea (originally) in IX was they'd eventually come back (luke, rey, etc.) and leia would be there and maybe it would finish up *back* in gffa or something. but now they'd just have to rearrange IX probably and either leave the question open, or find out leia died while they were away. the latter seems more difficult to swing to me since it would be odd that she wouldn't be in IX at all except to be mentioned as having died off screen... so i concluded perhaps the characters just don't come back to gffa.

2. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I think TLJ was definitely written to make her whereabouts at the beginning of IX more vague....I really doubt she was meant to die. Obviously TLJ will change things, but something tells me she had an absolutely crucial role in IX that they're gonna have to work around. Mainly, a second reckoning between Kylo Ren and his family, except now with his mom. I just hope that Adams comments about last seeing Carrie in costume as Leia meant they were in a scene together. At least give them something face to face.

This just sucks. I keep hoping Carrie will pop up on twitter like she always did but her absence is still always present. I don't know that my mind is really going to accept her being gone until more and more press events happen without her there.

jaqen likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Leia's part is unaltered in TLJ....[face_thinking] I am really starting to wonder if that might mean that Leia actually dies in the episode? If so, that's going to be really tough.....If you're right though, General_Leia_Organa, simply having her part played down or some explainable reason for her absence in Episode IX would be a welcome alternative...

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Something tells me that, considering the amount of time Carrie was on set, and these words of praise for Fisher's performance, Leia won't be relegated to a bed asleep for 2 hours.

Also one of the recaps said "a lot".

This is good news. Let's not nitpick it into oblivion.

5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Didn't Trevorrow say prior to Carrie passing away that she would have a big role in episode 9? I thought there were already meetings that took place to address her not being able to be a part of the next installment and they were brainstorming how to handle the situation. To me that would seem like she doesn't die in episode 8.

oncafar likes this.
  6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  7. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Carrie said during the last Celebration that she'd be in Ep. IX.

I believe Leia would definitely be alive at the end of TLJ, and apparently she'd have a bigger role in IX.

DaddlerTheDalek, jaqen and Master_Lok like this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Variety dropped that Carrie was signed for the whole trilogy not that long after TFA was released. And their sources said both she and Mark were due to have increasingly prominent roles with each new film, along with ever increasing pay checks.

However that was before VIII was finished being written, never mind IX, and things change. I don't doubt that Carrie would've been in the last film of the ST, but I don't assume that the whole "biggest part" still applied. Or even that Leia would've still been living. Afterall it's SW, a lot can still be accomplished when a Force sensitive character is in the beyond.

It's heartbreaking to say, but the best possible outcome, structurally speaking, in this scenario is if a shift during the writing of VIII lead to the demise of Leia even before Carrie passed.

MattOrgana likes this.
  9. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Actually, that's pretty open-ended. It might also mean that they kept her role in TLJ as is (hence no CGI, at least for now), and they're going to use whatever they need to bring her character to a satisfying conclusion in IX, which might include to let Leia retire in the sunset after making sure that the galaxy was back in relative peace. Really, without further information, it's all up in the air right now.

Envoyé de mon SM-T550 en utilisant Tapatalk

Knessa84 and MattOrgana like this.
  10. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah, I agree it's all up in the air and anything we say is just speculation really.

From the filmmakers' points of view, it's obviously simplest if Leia died in episode VIII. However, from what's been said since Carrie's death, it doesn't sound like they're in a particularly simple situation, and it sounds like they're having to work around the loss of Carrie. Having thought about it then, I think it's less likely that Leia dies on screen in episode VIII - but I think we may end up hearing of her death at the end of the film, or during episode IX.

For a screenwriter, if you lose an actor and they can't be replaced, the simplest route is usually to kill off the character. Even if Leia is left behind by the narrative at the end of VIII, I don't think they'd ever be forgiven for just never resolving her storyline, even if it we finally heard about her fate in a book or whatever. Many Star Wars fans will want closure, knowing that Carrie has passed on and won't be seen on screen again - in a way, it would be cheating them to just let Leia slip away, as such a pivotal character in the trilogy. Leia's not the kind of character to just slip off into the background and never be heard of again, to be honest.

So yeah, if they're not going down the CGI route (which I bloody hope they're not!), then sadly I think the preferred path will most likely end in Leia's death, either on screen at the end of VIII - which I now doubt, having heard that Carrie was explicitly said to be involved in the whole trilogy - or off screen during episode IX. If they want to go back on their promises and CGI her, then we may still see her as a force ghost at the end of IX (which would be a nice nod to RotJ), but at the end of the day... if you've lost the actor, I'm not sure how long you can sustain the character in the narrative :(

MattOrgana likes this.
  11. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Yeah there is no way they bought to franchise to kill off its original heroes. Han makes sense to get the biggest bang for their buck with Ford coming back for one film (and I wager he'll be seen again... Much like they'll milk Darth Vader forever). Leia's whole character has always been that she just keeps rolling on fighting injustice forever... I'm sure that was in the original mapped out plan for this trilogy. Luke could always have some cosmic Force sacrifice in the very end... Because like Yoda and Ben we know he'll always be around. Leia's essence is not built like that... She's that constant that we know she's always out there organizing and championing the practical fight.

I still think they're figuring out how to keep their original intent with episode nine as close as to what they had planned, and they're not going to tip their hand to the public, especially with Episode Eight's story AND ENDING not revealed yet.

MattOrgana and Zdarlight like this.
  12. Zdarlight

Zdarlight Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah, spot on in my opinion.

Leia's never been the shy retiring type - the last thing she's going to ever do is get left behind or forgotten by the narrative. Sadly though I think the only way to stop her is with death :/

Then again, I wager she'll probably still come back as a Force ghost ;) We know now that she has enough of a connection to the Force to feel when Kylo killed his father... I wouldn't put it past her to turn up again in spirit form. (but then we'd need CGI. Ack :( )

MattOrgana likes this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd rather see Leia die a heroic death in battle. Seems to fit her character better than a walk into the sunset. That should be Luke's way out, IMO.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  14. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    Each film has ended with Leia's smiling face. (Even Empire before she's contemplating with Luke by her side, it's the flash of the smile.). And Force Awakens and Rogue One echoes this too with "May the Force Be With You" and "Hope." She's the face of the optimism for the future, it would be weird to undercut it. Luke can always have dramatic weight, Han could always have self sacrifice, but Leia always seemed to be more about representing hope for the people of the Galaxy. If that makes any sense. Even if I hated the character, I would still lobby in the writing room that Leia remains in the audience's minds as always chugging along fighting the good fight.

MattOrgana likes this.
  15. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    If they want to give her a tear jerking send off, they could give her an Obi-Wan line, telling her son after she passed, "The Force will be with you. Always."

Optimism from the Great Beyond. Those words could be very powerful.

Mandalore Rising and MattOrgana like this.
  16. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What a wonderful portrait.

jaqen likes this.
  18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  20. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  21. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's actually sadder given that Kenny also passed away.=((

23. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Three months without Carrie Fisher. Three months since the universe became noticeably less fun and bright.

Rest in peace, Carrie and Debbie. @};-:leia:

[​IMG]

24. Mandalore Rising

Mandalore Rising Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    I never got the chance to meet Carrie in person, but she meant a lot to me as a young child and just as much now. I was raised by a strong woman and it was nice to see a strong woman on screen. She was never the "damsel in distress" character. She was always involved in saving the day as much as the male characters were. I'm sure this has been used a ton of times, but I think it's 100% true:

"She'll always be royalty to me"

25. Scruffy nerf

Jul 11, 2015
    I recently watched an interview with the the actress who was Leia's standin for Rogue One. When asked what her thoughts are on using the advancement in technology for recreating a deceased performer, she thought about it and replied that she thought it was fine if production had the family's blessing and the actor's estate was compensated. I then thought of Fisher's contract. I believe it was a million for Force Awakens and more for each future installment. With her contract, and supposedly safe bet of appearing in Nine, I would think her family and friends would feel her estate is owed some of that projected income.

I would think production would also think some sort of compensation for her estate would be in order too. Maybe it's a leap, but I would venture her family would give them their blessing to do whatever production wants to include her in Nine.. With money going to her estate, and thus her family and any charities she supported. That's one reason I still think there will some sort of manipulation of using past footage to complete her projected story arc as much as possible.

laurethiel1138 and KSennia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.