main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

This my favourite photo of all those released since the ST started production.

ZY-Fighter, jaqen, ksb36 and 4 others like this.
  2. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/star-wars-the-last-jedi-cover-portfolio/amp

A Disturbance in the Force

Mark Hamill, for all of his agreeable loquaciousness, winced when I brought up Fisher’s death.

“I can’t say that phrase, what you just said: Carrie’s name and then the d-word,” he said. “Because I think of her in the present tense. Maybe it’s a form of denial, but she’s so vibrant in my mind, and so vital a part of the family, that I can’t imagine it without her. It’s just so untimely, and I’m so angry.”

Their 40-year relationship truly was sibling-like, Hamill said, rife with affection and squabbles, though their earliest time together mirrored, to some degree, Luke and Leia’s uncertain early dynamic in the movies. In The Empire Strikes Back, the film before the film in which they learn that they are twins, Leia plants a big smackeroo squarely on Luke’s lips—not far off, Hamill said, from their reality as young co-stars. Working on the first Star Wars movie, “we were really attracted to each other. We got to the point where we were having our make-out sessions—and then we pulled back,” Hamill said. “A great way to cool any amorous feelings is laughter, and Carrie had this sort of Auntie Mame desire to find humor in everything. We also realized that, if we did this, everything would fundamentally change. It’s the When Harry Met Sally plot—can we still be friends after intimacy? Wisely, we avoided that.” (Hamill has been married to his wife, Marilou, since 1978.)

Ridley says, “Carrie lived her life the way she wanted to, never apologizing.”

Working together on the new trilogy gave Hamill and Fisher a chance to rekindle their benignly rancorous brother-sister dynamic. Both were staying in London, commuting distance from Pinewood Studios, where most of the non-location scenes of Star Wars movies are filmed. They held a competition to see who could get to a million Twitter followers first. (Hamill won; “I told Carrie, ‘Part of your problem is you write in these impenetrable emojis.’ Her tweets looked like rebus puzzles.”)

And, being the ages they were, they discussed mortality. “We got to talking about one of our favorite scenes in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which is when Tom and Huck go to their own funeral, and they’re up in the balcony, hearing their own eulogies,” Hamill said. “So then I said, ‘Look, if I go first, just promise me you’ll heckle my funeral.’ And she went, ‘Absolutely, if you’ll do the same for me.’ ”

The constant conflation of the Star Wars cast’s real-life and character narratives is not lost on Hamill, who inadvertently caused a kerfuffle last year during an appearance at the Oxford Union Society, when he described Daisy Ridley as “roughly my daughter’s age, and that’s how I relate to her.” As he knows from experience, sometimes the conflation is quite valid. Losing Fisher really has been like losing a sister.

Which speaks to the emotional resonance that has powered the saga from the start. “When you look at the stories themselves, they’re about personal tragedies and losses and triumphs,” Hamill said. “It’s all part and parcel of the same thing.”

3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Slightly off topic but I only just noticed tha at the 40th anniversary panel / Carrie memorial at de celebration, everyone was wearing black .. and man - I am pretty sure that I am not going to so very well watching both Carrie and Leia pass on in this film come December :(

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think in the articles MattOrgana has posted here we can be left with no doubt now that the intention of EpIX was for the mother to save the son, something that could've and likely would've been a highly emotional and fulfilling climax to the trilogy. Of course it can still be achieved with either the uncle/sibling/cousin saving Kylo but it can never be the same as what would've been Carrie and Adam's biggest scene of their careers.

5. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I'm trying not to get emotional seeing these photos, these beautiful gorgeous photos. And it makes me think back to all the speculation before The Force Awakens came out -and if Fisher would have a decent part, could she even act anymore, etc. It warms my heart to see how she conquered all the possible criticisms and fully embraced her power- and bittersweet to hear she won't be able to get her due in Episode IX - which would have been fairly unprecedented... a sixty plus woman having a plot arc in a Hollywood Blockbuster film?!

ZY-Fighter, jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    It's the job of the protagonist to defeat/stop the antagonist. It shouldn't be the other characters because that is usurpation of the protagonist role.

7. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    It's so unfair that she's gone. She was still young, and having the time of her life, with Ep. IX certainly being the crowning moment of her career.

I feel like the ST will never be truly complete without Carrie and Leia in IX.

11-4D, B3, jaqen and 3 others like this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Whether Leia would've saved Kylo or not I was hoping for a scene between the two where Leia tells Kylo that she still loves him despite everything he's done and that her love for him would have a profound effect on him. It would either persuade him to help the good guys somehow or would make him even more unstable.

Master of None likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

It was heartbreaking reading that. The lost possibilities...

It, however, was wonderful to read that her part will be significantly larger than in TFA. And, again, her role wasn't THAT small in the film, which means we should be seeing a lot of Leia in TLJ.

And yes, some of us were right. I remember us gleaning this from way back when Variety dropped the contract info for the Big 3. And we were told again and again on this board that Fisher would never, ever have a sizable role in this trilogy, that she wasn't good enough, and that Lucasfilm didn't trust her. The comments about TLJ and the plans for IX offer bittersweet vindication.

B3 and MattOrgana like this.
  10. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Not gonna lie, I choked up a little the first time I saw this image. R.I.P. Carrie=((

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    And special kudos to Billie, who dropped ages ago that her mother looked great, and was doing great work, in TLJ. I always took those words at face value, and I'm glad to see her vindicated to.

12. LadySithLord

LadySithLord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    This is my favorite photo thus far. It makes my heart hurt though.

13. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Beautiful pictures!

What's this about Leia slapping Poe? I read something that Oscar said that Carrie had to slap him in a scene.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Oscar is dropping all kinds of tidbits. He released the Mark/Carrie set picture, lets us know there's some moment of conflict between Leia and Poe, and might have revealed that Luke meets up with Leia and/or other Resistance folks at the close of the film.

15. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    [​IMG]The space twins *sniffle*:luke::leia:

Initially, I thought that the only Resistance-centric conflict in this movie would be between Leia and Holdo. Poe would side with Leia, naturally since she's his mentor. But this new information makes me wonder if Poe will have to choose between two paths, the right (Leia/Resistance) path, and the wrong (Holdo/Republic) path?

I'm not really a proponent of gratuitous violence, but part of me is looking forward to watching Leia slap Poe.:p

Master of None and LadySithLord like this.
  16. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Maybe Poe is unconscious during an attack and Leia gives him a slap to make him wake. Or Poe panics for some reason, and Leia slaps him so he can focus on the situation.

I'd rather not see Poe betraying Leia.

Django Fett likes this.
  17. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  18. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I think it'd be out of character for Leia to slap Poe, unless he did something like sell out the Resistance. Han annoyed her plenty during the OT and she never slapped him.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    "Poe quite! (Slap) And there's a fresh one if you mouth off again.."

KSennia, Jedi Jessy and jaqen like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I wonder if Leia's hair is suppose to be a throwback to this look:

[​IMG]

21. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    That was my first thought, too.

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

If you remove the "wings" on either side, and lowered the the poofy top, it would be very close.

23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Luke and Leia shot made me smile and sigh when I saw it this a.m.. Beautiful to see mother and daughter too. Outside of the Attack of the Clones Obi-Wan, these Leia shots have been my favorite SW cast images Annie shot for Vanity Fair.

Hearing that IX would have been Leia's film, considering the twin bombshells of her own son killing her husband I almost wish VIII would have been hers and then winding into Luke's story for IX. I understand for the training narratives with Rey why VIII has to be Luke's though.

nightangel likes this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-2-his-wild-friendship-carrie-fisher-1006446

Talk about your relationship with Carrie Fisher. How did you two meet?
    Carrie’s assistant reached out because Carrie’s daughter wanted a signed photo of Lex. I said, "Tell her I want a signed picture from Return of the Jedi!" Carrie actually sent the photo, which I keep in my office. It says, “Blow me — Carrie.”
    At the time I was filming the first season of Smallville and living in a hotel. She said, “Why are you living in a hotel? I have these little bungalows at my house, Meryl Streep stays there, Richard Dreyfuss stays there, you could, too … it’s got its own kitchen, you’d never have to see me."
    So I stayed there for three months and I wrote like crazy. She really showed me the way when it came to writing, and she never asked for anything, she just said, "Buy me a gift when you’re done." So I bought her a skylight for her living room.
    She was just an amazing person, she embraced mental illness like no one had ever done and she was just so giving. Her house was always open to everybody, and she was so smart. I remember listening to her and saying to her, “I don’t understand a f—ing word you just said." She said, "Oh, f— you, why don’t you try reading, Rosenbaum?!"
    Carrie was always there for her friends. If I said, “Man, I feel like ****,” she’d say, “Why? Do you wanna talk?”

What’s one of the strangest things that happened with Fisher?
    I remember lying on her giant bed with Michael Keaton, Tracey Ullman, Nicole Kidman and Carrie … just lying on her bed … laughing and talking. I thought, "Where am I?" Then she tried hooking me up with Nicole Kidman. Nicole is so out of my league … Carrie took me over to Nicole, said one sentence, and just left me with her. It was never gonna happen, but I’ll always remember that.
    We’d have parties at her place with my friends and her friends. It was like Meg Ryan with my stoner friend Roger. It was a great relationship. She was just a powerful human being.

ZY-Fighter, nightangel and MattOrgana like this.
  25. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Isn't it amazing that, in the 5 months since Carrie's death, we haven't heard a single person saying something bad about her? Everyone simply loved her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.