main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    An exclusive live look inside Carrie Fisher's unique home

'GMA' exclusive: Inside the home of the late Hollywood legend Debbie Reynolds

2. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Amazing house Carrie lived in. I also did not know the house used to belong to Bette Davies. Love the crazy Christmas tree. Also, it shows how much in touch Carrie was with her fans. She actually filled up her home with gifts from fans.

3. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Well, remember that previous post I made about Natalie Portman admitting to smoking cannabis while she was in college? It's possible she may have been doing so while filming AOTC. I think she looked stoned in the shot right before the first kiss in the film itself, and in a promo photo in her Geonosis outfit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. starwarsfan54

starwarsfan54 Jedi Knight star 1

May 29, 2017
    It's difficult for many Star Wars fans to look at this objectively.

If not for Fisher's role as Princess Leia I think the responses to her behavior would be less charitable to say the least.

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've given the article a fair read and I don't see how she's responsible. She hardly dealt the heroin or really encouraged it.

6. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Does the addiction and means of which people like Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, John Belushi, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Heath Ledger, etc, etc, etc. passed diminish our appreciation of their craft, art, personality?

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm also not seeing how Fisher was responsible for the death of an adult woman who lived in her guest house. Is the lawsuit actually asserting that Fisher was responsible for making the woman's decisions for her?

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Can't get schizophrenia out of nowhere, it's genetic. Though different things can trigger it.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  9. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Not necessarily...

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LE...ophrenia/RK=1/RS=W0ccD5fm95DUAMq1MEyYrVY3HzU-

10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    You can't rationalize some one else's mental health issues. It's impossible to put yourself in their shoes, which would mean to live inside their own brain as well. You can't begin to understand what feelings and thoughts they experience, because their brain is processing information differently than your's. The brain is a funny thing... It's very difficult to live with a mental illness, and you, yourself often don't even realize what's going inside your own brain...

A mental illness means that you're wired differently, or that your brain, mind has broken down in some way and no longer functions as before. Violent outbursts are commonly observed in brain injuries, as well as strong spells of cognitive dissonance. Brain injuries mean that often some one has to try to rewire their brains just to function.

The brain is like a computer, and the mind is like a program... the program isn't conscious of the computer, it simply is a program running within the computer. It's very very very hard for the mind to transcend itself, to become self aware of the functioning computer, because the mind is a external projection of that computer itself, which has it's own individual consciousness separate from the functioning of the brain... That's why people who have brain injuries or strokes are very confused...

That's what shrinks and medication are for. If you are intelligent enough to some one see through your own mind and beyond it's inner workings, it's still very hard to fight the impulses and wiring of your own brain... Many mental health patients aren't insightful, truly aware of their illness. If they were, they wouldn't even know how to get to a higher ground, to rise above it. One doesn't simply become aware of their mental illness and magically rise above it. ( Not in most cases...)

If you've never personally experienced addiction, or mental illness, even harder to experience both at the same time... You can only try to imagine how bizarre and difficult such events are. They are indeed literally inside one's own head, the brain is very good at providing us with a perfectly convincing reality of our own. It's like living inside a dream, a perfectly convincing nightmare, just like a dream, as it does every night, your brain does it's best to convince you that what you're seeing is "real". The brain creates a reality of it's own, the mind is some sort of projection of that. It's very very difficult for the mind to transcend the wiring of the brain. The mind is it's own consciousness, we aren't conscious of the functioning of our brains...

If you're extremely intelligent, you may realize that something is wrong with you, but it's very hard to see the forest through the trees. Some of you have no idea how hard it is to struggle against addiction when you're body is programmed to, and it so strongly acts upon, influences the mind. I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and it influences me STRONGLY towards addictions, irrational and illogical thought, to be emotionally imbalanced.

Only on medication can I fight addiction, think more clearly and rationally.

It's offensive that so many of you aren't being intellectually honest or fair to people who struggle with mental illness in this thread. If you've never experienced it for yourselves, you have no idea how difficult the struggle can be. It's not as easy as some of you think... You don't simply get diagnosed for mental health issues, get wise to it and then magically all the struggle goes away... For many it's a constant, life long struggle.

This thread is highly offensive. Carrie Fisher went through hell, a hell many of you could never understand or appreciate.

11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

^ THIS. Simply wish the best for anyone who is bipolar. I can certainly sympathize, one of my older sister's suffers from it and has been using Yoga to try and balance herself for some years now. Sis gave up drugs a long time ago, and I am grateful she can continue to help herself in positive ways. I will always be there for her and she knows that which eases my heart just a little.

Not much else to say about Carrie, but I hope to have a lot of wonderful things to say about Leia.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, most could never understand what Carrie went through, and yes, people say a lot of offensive things about mental illness. But that is mostly because your typical person is wildly ignorant about mental illness. The problem is worse than most other areas, because everyone somehow thinks they are an expert despite their blatant ignorance. Empathy starts with understanding, so you could see why there isn't much empathy. I haven't experienced what Carrie has personally, but have worked in mental health for 30 years, so I have a fair understanding of the overall picture.

As far as the drugs go, those who suffer and struggle to find balance on medication are always going to be more likely to struggle with substance abuse (not all do, but the rate of drug abuse is MUCH higher in this population); quite understandable to want to self-medicate when you feel that terribly inside. It is that much harder for a celebrity that has money and access to a lot of people that can get drugs and want to impress a star; they have it in their face in a way that most of us don't, and the ability to buy more because of their wealth.

14. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    The bullying didn't cause his schizophrenia, but they should be ashamed of themselves nonetheless. It's one thing to not care for his acting and say he gave a bad performance in TPM; that goes with the territory of being an actor, even a child actor. But he was repeatedly attacked far beyond the limits of civility. And after his schizophrenia was revealed, the bullying continued, with people saying inexcusably vile stuff like, "That doesn't excuse him for wrecking Star Wars/Vader!" If they truly feel that way, maybe it's time to reconsider their attachment to SW and gain some perspective.

As for Carrie's demons (she once said on Twitter: "There's no room for demons if you're self-possessed"), she owned them and was honest about them. She campaigned for recognition and treatment of mental illness. Lots of people go undiagnosed, and become drug addicts because they're self-medicating.

15. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    I rewatched Ep. 1/TPM not that long ago and watching little Jake Lloyd made me sad, knowing what would happen to him. I hope he is currently doing better.

My understanding of schizophrenia is that while it is genetic, environmental factors can trigger it. I cannot help but think how the unfortunate combination of his genetic predisposition and the stress from the cruel reactions to his role may have likely led to his issues.

Mostly Handless and BlurryUFOs like this.
  16. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    FWIW (and I know it's veering off-topic), but having a brilliant uncle who was afflicted with schizophrenia, I know just enough to do that there's no one determinant factor (genetic or environmental). Among external factors, the leading causes are teenage drug use and adolescent stress. I'm not going to venture a guess as to any individual person's triggering factor, however.

17. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  18. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I too have a schizophrenic uncle who was a brilliant musician, song writer and oh so handsome. He was the last of 8 children to very poor parents, who were part of the dust bowl migration. He was dishonorably discharged from the Army, came home to an alcoholic wife, a daughter and a son who shortly died from luekimia not long after. I was 4-5 but distinctly remember visiting him at Camarillo State Hospital where they gave him shock treatments. He's now in his mid 70's, half of his siblings are gone. He's a wanderer, likes to take off until an officer comes along to take him back to the group home. The remaining family do what we can do to make his life a little better and happier. Treatment has come a long ways in the past 50 years but much more is needed.

I put up a link earlier....
    I attribute several things to my uncle sickness:
    Possibly genetic but who knows back in those days if a great grand parent had it but no one knew what it was, just "crazy"
    Weak genes by the time he came along. My grandparents were tiny people. My grandma had twin boys (#5 & 6) one weighed 8lbs and one weighed 11lbs. She was only 4'10". (The larger twin turned out to be 6'5" and wears a size 15 shoe :) )
    Poor nutrition
    Army was too much for his fragile soul
    The loss of his young son

To my knowledge he never self medicated but I could be wrong. No one in my family has ever indicated that he did.

He can still pick a mean guitar.

KSennia likes this.
  19. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Harrison's issues while he was younger never affected his career like it did carrie. She seemed to let the negativity drag her down while Ford brushed it off and went from one iconic role to the next.

20. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
  21. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    So similar yet so different. My uncle was an incredible guitarist (why didn't he teach me?) and clever beyond belief. He was a teenager in San Francisco in the late 60s and did a ridiculous amount of drugs. That's the accepted trigger, although in retrospect there were other risk factors. He stabilized for awhile (the 90s was his best decade) but became permanently imbalanced 15 years ago. The last years were rough. Lots of rescue missions. He died of a heart attack walking down the road, which was the best way he could've gone. His sister, my aunt, died of a fast moving cancer one month later. Neither married; they're buried next to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nightangel and Master of None like this.
  22. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I love that Gary is right there out of frame. I'm going to imagine with all her scenes commanding the resistance, Gary is right there out of camera sight.

I love Carrie, and I love Leia. I love Carrie as Leia. I choose to really celebrate the joy she brought me, and still does.

23. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    So is his tongue. ;) I don't think I've ever seen a pic of him where his tongue isn't sticking out.

That's really beautiful. @};- I feel the same way.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    According to my older brother's doctors, that was THE contributing factor that triggered his schizophrenia.

General_Leia_Organa likes this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    People sometimes have a tendency to separate out lines of causality as if they can't be interconnected. No, there's no evidence that the bullying directly or proximately caused Lloyd's schizophrenia. However, bullying can indeed increase the likelihood of both severe adolescent stress and teenage drug use, and this has been demonstrated in a number of studies. And so the relentless bullying Lloyd was subjected to may indeed be a background (i.e. "ultimate") causal factor in the schizophrenia he developed. Watching interviews with him during his teens, and the bitterness he very clearly expressed about those years, my hunch/ hypothesis is that the bullying did indeed contribute to his condition.

Nanaki and nightangel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.