1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Master_Lok Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    '

Thanks for posting these comments. I generally do not read the Times until later in the month due to the 5 free articles limit.
    Last edited by Master_Lok, Sep 6, 2017
    jaqen likes this.
  2. The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Master

star 4
    3 & 6 (not opposed to 2 but i don't think it will happen)
    Last edited by The PiedPiper of Alderaan, Sep 6, 2017
  3. wobbits Jedi Padawan

star 1
    There was talk about Leia/Anakin lack of interaction in the Hayden thread. There are those who are convinced that it will never happen because Vader tortured Leia and Han and as a result Leia has PTSD. The only problem with that theory is that if they were to do a scene at this point it would be Anakin, redeemed Anakin FG talking to his daughter for the very first time ever not the Vader mask. ( I get goosebumps thinking about this. If it happens in the movie I will bawl like a baby.)

Lately I have gotten really emotional about this. Especially after reading both the new Leia book and Bloodline in the same weekend. There is a very tense scene in the new Leia book that takes place on Naboo with someone who figures out whose daughter she is at the age of 16! Then in Bloodline there is an excerpt that discusses how Leia wonders if something along the lines of trying to save someone is what made Anakin turn. Something happens to her in the book that makes her begin to explore that idea.

The rumors about the Anakin FG appearance lately have mentioned that Anakin talks about his love for Padme and according to the article this scene packs a punch like nothing ever before. I can't imagine anything more emotional than Leia hearing from her father how excited he was to be a Dad and how he loved her mother and that he wanted to save her from the death he thought he saw in his visions. I am trying to find the article link right now. Will edit when I stumble across it again.

Maybe I am being to sentimental over this whole thing but the films are about family. Leia and Anakin are family.

ETA: Link added

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...h-Vader-Hayden-Christensen-Last-Jedi-theories
    Last edited by wobbits, Sep 6, 2017
    KSennia, jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  4. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    We should wait until after TLJ to have a poll on that, but I'd like to address each possibility.

1. No way. And I think Lucasfilm made it quite clear with their "There's no Leia without Carrie" statement, that a recast for IX isn't going to happen. Also, I think it'd throw a lot of people out of the movie if a Leia who looks nothing like Leia suddenly appears on screen in IX.

2. I think that's a possibility. And I'd be okay with it, as it'd leave the door open for books about Leia, taking place after IX.

3. That's my favorite option. Keep Leia alive, but reduce her on screen time as much as possible. The movie can still be Leia-centric, without her appearing too much (everyone talked about Luke in TFA, but he only had a 30-second cameo at the end).

4. I'd be okay with that. If the movie can't focus on Leia alive as was the original plan, it should at least focus on how her loss/absence affect everything else.

5. I also think that's a possibility. It just that I don't want to see Leia dying, though I fully accept that might happen (or will most likely happen). As long as the movie is still focused on Leia, through her legacy, I'll be okay with it.

6. Again, another real possibility, though I feel it'd be too close to real life. And again, make it about Leia's legacy, and how her death affects the plot and the characters.

7. I don't know. I want some resolution to Leia's story in IX, be it life or death.

8. Please, no. That'd way too close to what happened in real life, and very disturbing and creepy. Imagine Carrie's family having to watch that.

9. I think that's impossible.
    Claire1976 and jaqen like this.
  5. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4
    Good grief, we're back to speculation in the CT thread that Leia wasn't really suppose to have a large part in IX. They were just humoring Carrie. Ugh.
    DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  6. Master_Lok Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    :( I do not think Katherine Kennedy would allow that.
  7. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

This BS continues, even after it's been confirmed that Carrie has a much bigger role in TLJ. And then drugs were brought up. Even in death this bull goes on and on.
    Last edited by jaqen, Sep 6, 2017
  8. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4

I can't say I'm surprised.

Kathleen Kennedy had no reason to tell in the Vanity Fair interview that Leia was supposed to be front and center in IX if that wasn't true. She could simply say that Carrie was great in TLJ and they cound't wait to work with her again in IX.

Not to mention the clear pattern the ST movies are following: TFA was Han's, TLJ will be Luke's. IX would be Leia's. And I hope they'll find a way to make it about her legacy.
    Claire1976, DaddlerTheDalek and jaqen like this.
  9. Master_Lok Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And it will likely continue for some. Unfortunate; but we can continue to celebrate Leia in this thread and Carrie's perf too. :)
    jaqen likes this.
  10. KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Master

star 3
    10. Leia fakes her death, and she's absent for a lot of the movie, but she later turns out to have gone undercover, Boushh-style. A mysterious masked Resistance ally appears throughout the movie and is revealed in the end to be Leia. We could get an unmasking using some repurposed Carrie footage/CGI, though it could be more powerful if it's just implied that it's her.
  11. TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm still convinced they're going to use existing footage and whatnot to piece something together for her in IX.
    DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  12. Master_Lok Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If they do anything, I think the existing footage would be most respectful and probably work the best.
  13. Drewton Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone think the end credits could do something out of the ordinary to honour Carrie, as well as using Leia's Theme?
  14. Nipuhanipera Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    John Campea arguing for Leia to be recast: starts at 24:42.

15. MagnarTheGreat Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess Episode IX being a search for Leia movie like Episode VII was a search for Luke would be one way to go about it putting her onscreen in the movie in a cameo way if they'd just go back on their idea of Leia making no appearance at all. It still would be tricky to keep the character alive.
  16. Rodie Jedi Master

star 4
    I like this idea actually, and I think it works best if Leia is off on a spiritual pilgrimage or adventure. She leaves the Resistance under command of Poe, and she could be off seeking out her own understanding of the Force (maybe it's explained she's exploring the Jedi history on Coruscant or Jedha), and her reveal at the end could be shot to really mirror the end of TFA, which might be kind of cool and elegant actually.

If they can cobble together footage of Carrie for Leia to have a part the size that Luke had in TFA, then that's a great idea you have. Surely they have Carrie's ADR of her saying "May the Force be with you," and that would be a powerful ending if Leia is found and she speaks those words to Rey again to end the trilogy, and it ends with us knowing that Rey is ready for anything, and that Leia is going to finally become a Jedi! ^:)^
    Last edited by Rodie, Sep 7, 2017
  17. Drewton Jedi Master

star 4
    The Leia situation has to be toughest challenge the writers have been given but these are just the cards they've been dealt. I was open to recasting before but seeing a different actress as Leia suddenly after five films would be jarring and even more off-putting would be seeing some new Leia with Mark Hamill. The best route may be for Leia to have a quiet off-screen death that shocks Ben. I'd think the best way to honour her would be including her as a Force ghost at the end of IX, similar to the end of Return of the Jedi.

I don't particularly want Ben redeemed, but if he's all that's left of Han and Leia that would give Luke more motivation to redeem him, if he's still alive.
    Last edited by Drewton, Sep 7, 2017
  18. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

The Boushh idea has crossed my mind a couple times too.

And it could be a huge, but heartwarming, shock if people saw Carrie beneath the mask after expecting not to see her in the film at all. If there's a way to pull off giving us a seamless image of Carrie as Leia that would be enormous.

But the more practical side of me is hoping something happens to Leia toward the end of TLJ that makes writing her off easier to do in IX. I mean the easiest route would be Leia is involved in an accident, fate left up to IX, and they can do a waking up scene with her if they want to character to live out the trilogy. That would be a lot easier to pull of then trying to CGI-double/reused footage there way through some kind of Leia/Kylo confrontation.
  19. Rodie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm OK with a recast, but in Episode 10, especially if 10 is released and takes place several years after Episode 9. People age. They change. As long as the spirit of her character is the same, Leia can look a little different, a little older, in this scenario, especially if she's in a different stage of life--for instance, she's become a Jedi ;)

And give Billie a bit larger recurring role in the next trilogy, too, so Carrie's spirit remains on set in a way, also.
    Last edited by Rodie, Sep 7, 2017
  20. Bob Effette Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would be okay with a recast. Someone like Diane Lane maybe? I dunno.

As much as I liked Carrie Fisher, she looked knackered in TFA and whilst the stills of her in TLJ look nice and she looks quite regal, you can tell in her TFA acting that her lifestyle, and surgery, had taken its toll on her.
    Last edited by Bob Effette, Sep 7, 2017
  21. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

I'm still really hoping they don't redeem Ben. I'm just so not interested in a Vader rehash. If anything I'd like to see Kylo actually live and just become more to the middle; Dark grey instead pitch black.

Even with Carrie Fisher DEAD people still can't stop with this bull. No damn respect at all.

WTH does your view on Carrie's looks, nebulous "surgery" and "lifestyle" have to do with a damn recast for episode IX?
    Last edited by jaqen, Sep 7, 2017
  22. Ben-Solo Jedi Knight

star 3
    Carrie Fisher was a champion, fighter and survivor not only on screen but off; she was the life of the party and as every director of any Star Wars film has said, including her cast mates especially Mark Hamill. Carrie was one of a kind, and her portrayal of Leia Organa was and still is groundbreaking, for girls like myself she embodied confidence, selflessness and courage. Carrie looked amazing and always has.
    Last edited by Ben-Solo, Sep 7, 2017
  23. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

Thank you.

And the nonsense about her acting having to do with "lifestyle" is hilarious. She's currently nominated for an Emmy for her acting, and has never stopped acting, and being acclaimed for it, regardless of "lifestyle".

Carrie didn't come out of retirement for TFA. She wasn't on some coke binge and they called and asked her to clean up for Star Wars.
  24. miasma Jedi Master

star 3
    I was thinking of something vaguely along similar lines. Aren't there rumors that she gets imprisoned in TLJ? If TLJ ends with her as a prisoner on a FO ship, I could imagine that ship getting blown up in Episode 9, so everyone (audience and characters) assumes she died in the explosion. Then, at the very end of the movie, somebody (maybe one of the droids?) receives a transmission, and then tells the resistance, "It's General Organa... she boarded an escape pod just before the explosion. She's alive! Dispatch a search and rescue team at once!" We wouldn't need to actually see her in that scenario, it would just be a nice way to keep her alive and end the film on a positive note.
  25. Django Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be happy if the only shot of Leia in EpIX was of a happy and content Force Ghost looking on approvingly at Rey after her victory. It could come from pre-existing footage so LFL could still keep to what they said in January.