1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

1. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

I love that.
    miasma likes this.
  2. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    Me too. Though I think we could actually see her ship boarding, Leia (old footage/a bit of CGI) coming down the ramp, smiling and saying "Luke/Ben/Rey". There won't be a dry eye among Star Wars fans.

I'm prepared for Leia's death, since I know that's the most likely scenario. But I really hope they find a way to keep her alive. I want to know that Leia is alive and well at the GFFA, and I want to read about her life after IX.
    Last edited by MattOrgana, Sep 7, 2017
    Claire1976, nightangel and Master_Lok like this.
  3. Master_Lok Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Can you send that to Katherine Kennedy now, please. Great idea.
    miasma, nightangel and MattOrgana like this.
  4. Drewton Jedi Master

star 4
    A couple things I'm worried about for VIII, spoilers:

Show Spoiler
    I've heard Leia will be in a coma for much of the film. Pretty eery, and awkward if she wakes up out of it only to not be in IX.

I hope they filmed Luke reuniting with her here instead of leaving it for IX. I heard Luke wakes her from a coma, which would be a beautiful scene but I don't know how they continue that.
    Last edited by Drewton, Sep 7, 2017
  5. trikadekaphile Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have trouble trusting anything that comes out of Kathleen Kennedy's mouth, given how she claimed there would be no CGI in "The Force Awakens," and the way she patted herself on the back for the character of Rey supposedly breaking the barrier of sexism in sci-fi movies (Leia broke that barrier back in the 1970s, but it's all but illegal to give Lucas credit for anything, including creating SW -- nowadays he's described in the press as "associated with SW"), and "making SW safe for girls to like." As far as I know, I am and always have been a girl, and I loved SW from the first. Same with other female SW fans of my generation, and there are scads of 'em.

Rey broke no ground. She's a recent example of the type of character that Lucas pioneered with Leia. Also, a dirty little secret that we're not supposed to talk about is that he is at least partly responsible for the creation of Rey. His treatments for the ST featured a very Rey-like character, only she was younger and was given the placeholder name "Kira."

They better not recast Leia. I don't care how many people say how old she looked in TFA (funny how no one comments on how old Ford or Hamill looked in TFA -- because men are allowed to age). No one but Carrie could ever play Leia, and Carrie is no longer with us.

Kylo is a whiny, babyish punk, bully and fight-picker. Leia grew up privileged but she was never a snob, she never whined, and she always stood strong. Kylo has no excuse whatsoever for turning to the Dark Side -- not that I think there ever can be an excuse for turning to the Dark Side. Leia was never even tempted by it. She has always stood strong and fought for good. She stood up to Tarkin and Vader without fear.
    Last edited by trikadekaphile, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Artoo-Dion New Films Manager

Manager
    star 5
    There are so many problems with this paragraph, but let's start with where Kennedy (or anyone involved in the production, for that matter) said there'd be no CGI in TFA.
  7. Darth Chiznuk Superninja of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    I've been thinking about this. It's not ideal obviously but in IX I'd have Leia with the Republic most of the film trying to rally the forces (think Gandalf in The Two Towers). Then as the climactic battle looks to turn in the First Order's favor the Republic fleet shows up and turns the tide. It ends with a hologram of Chancellor Leia (using existing footage and CGI) making a grand speech of some sort while in montage the heroes celebrate their victory.
    KSennia likes this.
  8. Artoo-Dion New Films Manager

Manager
    star 5
    It's very hard to say until we know her fate in TLJ.
    DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

Where did this come from and when? Sounds like the same rumor from months ago that's been thoroughly bunked. Even MSW said it was likely bad info.
  10. Drewton Jedi Master

star 4
    Something in particular or all of it? I heard it months ago, not sure I'm up to date on all the recent spoilers.
  11. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4

The rumor from months ago that Leia has a small role in the beginning of the movie then spends the rest of it in a coma was debunked months ago.

Carrie shot too frequently for it to be true; in fact she was one of the few actors we know for a fact went back in for additional shooting after wrap. And now we know, for a fact, she has a larger role in TLJ than TFA, and much has been made about the power of her performance in this film. Jason Ward had the rumor up on MSW but backtracked on that ages ago and said, upon further digging, said he can't find any proof from sources on Leia being injured at all, much less in a coma.

If Leia ends up in the coma is pretty clear that the original rumor, of a small, marginalized role, isn't true at all.
    Last edited by jaqen, Sep 7, 2017
  12. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
  13. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4
    I really wish in TFA, at least once, they'd have let Leia wear her hair down like Carrie has it in that interview. So lovely.
    MattOrgana and JoJoPenelli like this.
  14. JoJoPenelli Force Ghost

star 5
    DaddlerTheDalek, MattOrgana and jaqen like this.
  15. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, thanks to Princess of Alderaan, we now know what "letting your hair down" means to an Alderaanian woman:

Leia’s Journey to Heir of Alderaan and Rebel Leader

(And I highly recommend this review)

Last edited by MattOrgana, Sep 8, 2017
  16. Master_Lok Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A very thorough review, thanks for posting the link.
    DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  17. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4
    You know what's funny @MattOrgana? I had written, then erased, in my post that I would've loved to see Leia's hair down like that during a quiet, intimate scene between just her and Han.
    Claire1976, Master_Lok and MattOrgana like this.
  18. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And then what?
  19. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    I think we could actually get a scene like that in a Han and Leia book set in the aftermath of the Battle of Endor, hopefully involving their wedding.

There a two books I really want to read, both set right after Endor: a Han and Leia book, hopefully written by Claudia Gray (Lucasfilm should made her the definite Leia biographer), and a Luke and Leia book, about them finding about their originis (and I'd like Troy Denning to write this one).
    Genuine Class and Claire1976 like this.
  20. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
  21. IrisBest Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've suspected that the coma rumors could have been born out of other story rumors, namely that after an attack by the FO, Leia is absent from resistance leadership and that storyline focuses on Holdo and Poe instead. So to explain Leia's absence somehow that led to the rumor that she's injured. But perhaps what actually happens is she's captured by the FO and spends part of the movie in their custody.
    MattOrgana likes this.
  22. unicorn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Spoiler for Leia book:

Show Spoiler
    In the new Leia book, Leia lets her then boyfriend take her hair down, so I dunno if I'd want to see a repeat scene of Han doing it to Leia because it might feel like a cheap copy. Him seeing her with her hair down, sure - although presumably he's already seen that way before ROTJ since they spent months on the Falcon together on the way to Bespin.

I just had a conversation with Troy on Twitter and he was saying he really misses writing Han/Leia but that he longer writes in that universe. Can't blame him for being a bit bitter after having like 20 books he wrote wiped out of canon lol. But maybe he'll come around like Zahn eventually did.
    Last edited by unicorn, Sep 10, 2017
    MattOrgana likes this.
  23. Padme1977 Jedi Knight

Wow, what a great re-interpretation, I have read the new Leia book and greatly enjoyed, and did catch the "letting your hair down" bit, but didn't connect it to ROTJ and your right it does kind of make that "ewok village" scene more powerful. It just seems that everytime there is a new addition to Star Wars, it makes what already exists that much more powerful. Of course at the time it probably wasn't intentional, and that is what makes it even better story telling.

Jennifer
    Genuine Class and MattOrgana like this.
  24. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    So, we're finally getting a Brazilian edition of Bloodline. And here's the cover:

[IMG]

(thanks to @LelalMekha)

The title was translated as Legado de Sangue, which literally means "Legacy of Blood". "Bloodline" doesn't have an exact counterpart in Portuguese; the closest word would be "linhagem" ("lineage").

Can't wait to (finally) read this book. And as always, we have the best Star Wars book covers here in Brazil ;)
    Last edited by MattOrgana, Sep 10, 2017
  25. Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight

star 4
    Nice cover, lucky for them.
    MattOrgana likes this.