main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Anyone think the end credits could do something out of the ordinary to honour Carrie, as well as using Leia's Theme?

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    John Campea arguing for Leia to be recast: starts at 24:42.

3. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I guess Episode IX being a search for Leia movie like Episode VII was a search for Luke would be one way to go about it putting her onscreen in the movie in a cameo way if they'd just go back on their idea of Leia making no appearance at all. It still would be tricky to keep the character alive.

4. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I like this idea actually, and I think it works best if Leia is off on a spiritual pilgrimage or adventure. She leaves the Resistance under command of Poe, and she could be off seeking out her own understanding of the Force (maybe it's explained she's exploring the Jedi history on Coruscant or Jedha), and her reveal at the end could be shot to really mirror the end of TFA, which might be kind of cool and elegant actually.

If they can cobble together footage of Carrie for Leia to have a part the size that Luke had in TFA, then that's a great idea you have. Surely they have Carrie's ADR of her saying "May the Force be with you," and that would be a powerful ending if Leia is found and she speaks those words to Rey again to end the trilogy, and it ends with us knowing that Rey is ready for anything, and that Leia is going to finally become a Jedi! ^:)^

5. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    The Leia situation has to be toughest challenge the writers have been given but these are just the cards they've been dealt. I was open to recasting before but seeing a different actress as Leia suddenly after five films would be jarring and even more off-putting would be seeing some new Leia with Mark Hamill. The best route may be for Leia to have a quiet off-screen death that shocks Ben. I'd think the best way to honour her would be including her as a Force ghost at the end of IX, similar to the end of Return of the Jedi.

I don't particularly want Ben redeemed, but if he's all that's left of Han and Leia that would give Luke more motivation to redeem him, if he's still alive.

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

The Boushh idea has crossed my mind a couple times too.

And it could be a huge, but heartwarming, shock if people saw Carrie beneath the mask after expecting not to see her in the film at all. If there's a way to pull off giving us a seamless image of Carrie as Leia that would be enormous.

But the more practical side of me is hoping something happens to Leia toward the end of TLJ that makes writing her off easier to do in IX. I mean the easiest route would be Leia is involved in an accident, fate left up to IX, and they can do a waking up scene with her if they want to character to live out the trilogy. That would be a lot easier to pull of then trying to CGI-double/reused footage there way through some kind of Leia/Kylo confrontation.

DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm OK with a recast, but in Episode 10, especially if 10 is released and takes place several years after Episode 9. People age. They change. As long as the spirit of her character is the same, Leia can look a little different, a little older, in this scenario, especially if she's in a different stage of life--for instance, she's become a Jedi ;)

And give Billie a bit larger recurring role in the next trilogy, too, so Carrie's spirit remains on set in a way, also.

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I would be okay with a recast. Someone like Diane Lane maybe? I dunno.

As much as I liked Carrie Fisher, she looked knackered in TFA and whilst the stills of her in TLJ look nice and she looks quite regal, you can tell in her TFA acting that her lifestyle, and surgery, had taken its toll on her.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I'm still really hoping they don't redeem Ben. I'm just so not interested in a Vader rehash. If anything I'd like to see Kylo actually live and just become more to the middle; Dark grey instead pitch black.

Even with Carrie Fisher DEAD people still can't stop with this bull. No damn respect at all.

WTH does your view on Carrie's looks, nebulous "surgery" and "lifestyle" have to do with a damn recast for episode IX?

10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Carrie Fisher was a champion, fighter and survivor not only on screen but off; she was the life of the party and as every director of any Star Wars film has said, including her cast mates especially Mark Hamill. Carrie was one of a kind, and her portrayal of Leia Organa was and still is groundbreaking, for girls like myself she embodied confidence, selflessness and courage. Carrie looked amazing and always has.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Thank you.

And the nonsense about her acting having to do with "lifestyle" is hilarious. She's currently nominated for an Emmy for her acting, and has never stopped acting, and being acclaimed for it, regardless of "lifestyle".

Carrie didn't come out of retirement for TFA. She wasn't on some coke binge and they called and asked her to clean up for Star Wars.

12. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I was thinking of something vaguely along similar lines. Aren't there rumors that she gets imprisoned in TLJ? If TLJ ends with her as a prisoner on a FO ship, I could imagine that ship getting blown up in Episode 9, so everyone (audience and characters) assumes she died in the explosion. Then, at the very end of the movie, somebody (maybe one of the droids?) receives a transmission, and then tells the resistance, "It's General Organa... she boarded an escape pod just before the explosion. She's alive! Dispatch a search and rescue team at once!" We wouldn't need to actually see her in that scenario, it would just be a nice way to keep her alive and end the film on a positive note.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'd be happy if the only shot of Leia in EpIX was of a happy and content Force Ghost looking on approvingly at Rey after her victory. It could come from pre-existing footage so LFL could still keep to what they said in January.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I love that.

miasma likes this.
  15. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Me too. Though I think we could actually see her ship boarding, Leia (old footage/a bit of CGI) coming down the ramp, smiling and saying "Luke/Ben/Rey". There won't be a dry eye among Star Wars fans.

I'm prepared for Leia's death, since I know that's the most likely scenario. But I really hope they find a way to keep her alive. I want to know that Leia is alive and well at the GFFA, and I want to read about her life after IX.

Claire1976, nightangel and Master_Lok like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Can you send that to Katherine Kennedy now, please. Great idea.

miasma, nightangel and MattOrgana like this.
  17. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    A couple things I'm worried about for VIII, spoilers:

I've heard Leia will be in a coma for much of the film. Pretty eery, and awkward if she wakes up out of it only to not be in IX.

I hope they filmed Luke reuniting with her here instead of leaving it for IX. I heard Luke wakes her from a coma, which would be a beautiful scene but I don't know how they continue that.

18. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    I have trouble trusting anything that comes out of Kathleen Kennedy's mouth, given how she claimed there would be no CGI in "The Force Awakens," and the way she patted herself on the back for the character of Rey supposedly breaking the barrier of sexism in sci-fi movies (Leia broke that barrier back in the 1970s, but it's all but illegal to give Lucas credit for anything, including creating SW -- nowadays he's described in the press as "associated with SW"), and "making SW safe for girls to like." As far as I know, I am and always have been a girl, and I loved SW from the first. Same with other female SW fans of my generation, and there are scads of 'em.

Rey broke no ground. She's a recent example of the type of character that Lucas pioneered with Leia. Also, a dirty little secret that we're not supposed to talk about is that he is at least partly responsible for the creation of Rey. His treatments for the ST featured a very Rey-like character, only she was younger and was given the placeholder name "Kira."

They better not recast Leia. I don't care how many people say how old she looked in TFA (funny how no one comments on how old Ford or Hamill looked in TFA -- because men are allowed to age). No one but Carrie could ever play Leia, and Carrie is no longer with us.

Kylo is a whiny, babyish punk, bully and fight-picker. Leia grew up privileged but she was never a snob, she never whined, and she always stood strong. Kylo has no excuse whatsoever for turning to the Dark Side -- not that I think there ever can be an excuse for turning to the Dark Side. Leia was never even tempted by it. She has always stood strong and fought for good. She stood up to Tarkin and Vader without fear.

19. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    There are so many problems with this paragraph, but let's start with where Kennedy (or anyone involved in the production, for that matter) said there'd be no CGI in TFA.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've been thinking about this. It's not ideal obviously but in IX I'd have Leia with the Republic most of the film trying to rally the forces (think Gandalf in The Two Towers). Then as the climactic battle looks to turn in the First Order's favor the Republic fleet shows up and turns the tide. It ends with a hologram of Chancellor Leia (using existing footage and CGI) making a grand speech of some sort while in montage the heroes celebrate their victory.

KSennia likes this.
  21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's very hard to say until we know her fate in TLJ.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Where did this come from and when? Sounds like the same rumor from months ago that's been thoroughly bunked. Even MSW said it was likely bad info.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  23. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    Something in particular or all of it? I heard it months ago, not sure I'm up to date on all the recent spoilers.

24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

The rumor from months ago that Leia has a small role in the beginning of the movie then spends the rest of it in a coma was debunked months ago.

Carrie shot too frequently for it to be true; in fact she was one of the few actors we know for a fact went back in for additional shooting after wrap. And now we know, for a fact, she has a larger role in TLJ than TFA, and much has been made about the power of her performance in this film. Jason Ward had the rumor up on MSW but backtracked on that ages ago and said, upon further digging, said he can't find any proof from sources on Leia being injured at all, much less in a coma.

If Leia ends up in the coma is pretty clear that the original rumor, of a small, marginalized role, isn't true at all.

25. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.