1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.

Official Info Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

1. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    So JJ Abrams is back to direct Ep. IX. I can't say I'm thrilled. As much as like TFA, JJ didn't really get Leia and wasn't the best director to work with Carrie. I don't think he is the best choice to give Leia and end that will honor both the character and the actress who brought her to life. Colin Trevorrow wasn't the best choice either, so...

Oh, well. I hope JJ will prove me wrong.
  2. unicorn Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Leia isn't even in Episode IX though right? The most will be a passing reference that she died between films or that she's off planet somewhere on a mission. I agree with you thought that I never felt like JJ got Han and Leia beyond their ANH characterizations.
  3. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    If it's true that they didn't change TLJ after Carrie's passing, IX will have to deal with the character's fate in some way. Personally, I don't feel like Leia can be dealt with just a passing reference, specially since she was suposed the be front and center (like Han in TFA and Luke in TLJ), according to Kathleen Kennedy.

If Leia is to die, or if she's just absent, I hope her loss/absence affects the characters and the plot. If you can't have Leia front and center in the movie as was the original plan, make it about her legacy.
    Last edited by MattOrgana, Sep 12, 2017
    MrDarth0, Doom_Buggy and jaqen like this.
  4. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4
    Well here's the thing, for whatever issues he may have had with working with Carrie, he did write TFA with a lot of Leia reverence. And I did love that he brought Leia back as, on paper at least, active, involved, still fighting the good fight, the general of a strong army.

He also has the benefit of the Leia developments, not to mention Carrie's performance, in TLJ. He'll hopefully be inspired by that and wrap up Leia's legacy well.
  5. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    I have no doubt IX will be a great movie (just like TFA), how JJ will handle Leia is my only concern.

I guess he can always consult with Rian Johnson, and I trust Kathleen Kennedy will ensure both Leia and Carrie are honored, so I hope I'll be able to say JJ proved me wrong in 2019.
    Claire1976 and jaqen like this.
  6. MattOrgana Jedi Master

star 4
    Billie Lourd Talks “Surreal” Life Without Mom Carrie Fisher and Grandmother Debbie Reynolds

7. The Regular Mustache Jedi Master

star 4
    JJ's in a real pickle. He seemingly has to find a way to essentially close the book on the character in a way that's tasteful and makes sense in the context of the story being told. Killing off the character would seem harsh but then having another character explain why she's not around might be hard to pull off too.
  8. Rodie Jedi Master

star 4

TFA was in no way Leia's movie though. Based on the story they told there just wasn't a ton for her to do, and I'm not sure how Leia could have been written better or been given a larger role. Maybe giving her a longer scene with Rey at the end would have been nice. And a scene early in the film in the senate or something that showed her being a boss lady of the Resistance and telling all these non-believers that they need to be ready to fight the First Order...But they didn't do that.

By most accounts she has a meatier role in TLJ. So that's great news.
    Last edited by Rodie, Sep 13, 2017
  9. Darth_Articulate Jedi Master

star 4
    Reposted from a different thread:
    Show Spoiler

I suppose there's something to be said for the continuity issue. If each episode had a different actress playing Leia, or even just a different actress in the sequel trilogy, there wouldn't be anything distracting from the story. But having the same actress play her throughout one trilogy and only in two of the next could indeed be distracting. But again, if the story hinges on Leia's presence, I'd much rather experience a very momentary distraction to see it played out, then settle for a compromised, more contrived story without it. And in terms of commercial success, I'm pretty sure most audience would have the same response.

I'm not sure what "preserving our collective consciousness of Carrie's contribution to Leia" means exactly, and I'm not sure how that would be diminished by a new actress. That's kind of like saying having another child is going to make yo forget about the child you lost., which would obviously be an absurd way of thinking. Carrie is irreplaceable in the same sense that a child who died young is irreplaceable: no one can ever bring what they uniquely brought to the world and your life. But the new child is not a lesser child and is not a substitute. It is a completely new child bringing it's own unique contribution to the world. Likewise with any actress that plays a character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. chris hayes Jedi Master

star 4
    Any chance JJ only signed on so he could bring Leia back [face_praying]
  11. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No.
  12. jedijax Force Ghost

star 6
    I wonder if there is any way to have Billie Lourd, with alterations of course, to play Leia in IX. I mean-who else to finish her mom's legacy. At least use her as a stand in IF they were taking the CGI approach.

Dunno-just a thought.

And remember, all of what KK said about Leia (or rather Carrie) not being in IX was while Colin was writing the story. Now JJ is writing the story so......[face_dunno]
    Last edited by jedijax, Sep 13, 2017
  13. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think they should do the classy thing and have her die a hero's death in TLJ. No CGI or recasted resurrections so soon.
  14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think they should do that too...using Leia's death this soon could add another part to Kylo's turn back to the good side. Whatever the case this outcome makes the most sense since most people don't want an absent character, a recast or a cgi solution to the problem, anyway.
  15. Darth Downunder Chosen One

star 6
    A character & an actor are separate entities. I see no reason why Leia has to die if that was not the plan. We saw her born in RotS & then watched her story through eps 4-7, & it's still continuing. Leia is only middle aged & healthy. She could have a vital role to play for the future. She has key relationships with Luke, Kylo & a blossoming one with Rey. Imagine all of the amazing story possibilities for the future. She's also the general & the leader of the Resistance forces. Who else will fill that role? Once you kill Leia she's never coming back in any future story. Bad idea IMO...unless they can come up with a truly fitting end for her that doesn't seem sudden & is appropriate for a central character in this Saga.

If they do recast, I'd consider Kate Mulgrew.
  16. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Leila can appear in all kinds of prequels, despite a possible death in TLJ. After all, our next anthology is a Han Solo film, and he just died in TFA. I think a hero's death would be more satisfying than a recast, to be honest. And I'm generally pretty open to recasts.
  17. Darth Downunder Chosen One

star 6
    Yet you're fine with a recast for a younger Leia?

Question is, how can they portray a satisfying "hero's death" without any planning or scenes shot? That's the question. I really fear they'll cobble together a scene they shot, say of her boarding a ship, then have that ship destroyed. That would suck.
  18. Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, I think recasting a younger Leia simply makes more sense, just as a young CGI'd Carrie was appropriate for Rogue One. Young, early-twenties or teen Carrie is pretty far in the past now, and so I think having another actress play that role feels more natural and appropriate. Having a new actress play older Leia in the ST seems comparatively inappropriate because that Leia was so recently with us as older Carrie Fisher. It's not a position based on hard logic, mind you. There's certainly an emotional element to it.

Regarding your question, RJ hinted at the fact that Leia does something in TLJ that now has an added layer of resonance because of Carrie's untimely death. I took that to possibly suggest that she commits an act of self-sacrifice, but her fate was originally left up in the air. My guess is that with very minor changes, RJ will be able to nudge that into certainty. Instead of a "did she die or didn't she?" scenario, it may simply now be clear that she did. Whereas the original plan was to have her emerge again for IX.
    Last edited by Gigoran Monk, Sep 13, 2017
    jaqen and DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR like this.
  19. Darth Downunder Chosen One

star 6
    Guess we'll see how it plays out. It would be very fortunate, if that's the right word, if they happened to have such a scene that gives Leia the right kind of send off. This is what it comes down to IMO. In contrast, say if God forbid something happened to CF following the release of ESB. Or Mark Hamill after TFA. In those cases you'd surely have to recast. So perhaps you're right & the reason they're comfortable letting the character depart is that do have an appropriate ending.
    Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. nightangel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I somehow think it was switched and originally Luke died in VIII, while Leia's fate was uncertain for her to reappear in IX. Now Leia may die in VIII and Luke's fate stays uncertain for him hopefully to reappear in IX. [face_dunno]
    Last edited by nightangel, Sep 14, 2017
  21. ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    All of this is true, of course, but it still seems a shame that JJ decided to cut two sequences involving Carrie / Leia from TFA. It seemed a shame to me at the time (mainly because why would you not want more Princess Leia? But also because it's a shame they dropped the Kor Sella stuff that might have added a bit more impact to the destruction of Hosnian Prime than "Wait - is this Coruscant? What? Who are these people?"), but even more so now when there's no more footage to be captured.
    Ridley Solo, KSennia and Darth Smurf like this.
  22. Darth_Articulate Jedi Master

star 4
    Story demands first. Awkward adjustments from fans to actress changes second. Also, by the time Carrie passed, it was far too late to make story adjustments to TLJ, so if she is killed off, it will have to be explained and/or showed in IX
  23. jaqen Force Ghost

star 4
    It's a totally moot point because there's no way they're recasting Leia for IX. Maybe an actor who they can manipulate in post to look like Carrie, but otherwise, no.

But I agree, in a fantasy world, Kate Mulgrew is an excellent choice. I also think Diane Wiest would be amazing (much older than Leia, but she looks younger than her age and not older than Carrie).
  24. MrDarth0 Jedi Knight

star 2

They said when Carrie died that there will be no CGI Leia in IX.

Unless they change their mind in between now and the release of IX, which I believe they won't do, the only Leia in IX, if there even is one, will be Carrie's scenes cut from TLJ.
    jaqen likes this.
  25. DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master

star 4
    Sometimes I wonder if some people still would have suggested a recast if something bad had happened to Ford (if Solo had survived TFA) or Hamill instead of Fisher...