main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i read the leia novel and i loved it.

i think my favorite part was leia vs. kier. he was right. three years later alderaan is destroyed. he was trying to keep it safe and do what was best for it. and leia is also right. if they don't fight the empire there will be no more alderaans. increasingly there will only be the hell holes the empire has conquered, or worse, nothing at all.

Genuine Class and Gigoran Monk like this.
  2. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Here lies the "Leia isn't as strong in the Force as Luke" argument. I can't say I'm sorry.

Here is the audiobook recording of Gary D. Schmidt’s short story in the upcoming anthology From a Certain Point of View.

In it, force ghost Obi-Wan speaks to Yoda on Dagobah to convince him to take on Luke as his new padawan, but he argues that Leia would be a much better choice. “LONG HAVE I WANTED TO TRAIN HER,” Yoda says at one point. "THE OTHER SKYWALKER, I WOULD TRAIN. SHE IS READY."

There’s some funny banter between them which I love but I’d rather not spoil it for you guys, so go give it a listen.

Someone on reddit typed up a transcript which I’ve copied below but nothing beats Marc Thompson’s narration.

Yoda crossed the room and sat down on his bunk. It was no longer as damp as it had been. "I am old, Master Kenobi.”
    “900 years is old.”
    “And worn out.”
    “Not so worn out as you might think, Master. Where is my pot?” Yoda looked up at the empty shelf. “There was… an encounter,” he said.
    “An encounter? Not so difficult an encounter that you were unable to preserve Qui-Gon’s cloak, I see.”
    “Always with you it has to be both. Difficult choices must we make sometimes in this world.”
    “As now, Master."
    "Here, you are, for that?”
    “Master, I want you to take on a new Padawan.”
    “You do, do you?”
    “I want you to train young Skywalker.”
    Yoda felt his heart thrill. He had not imagine it could have happened, but here it was. “Yes…”
    “You agree so quickly?”
    “Long have I wanted to train her.”
    “Master, I want you to train Luke.”
    Yoda looked at the shimmering face. “No!” he said. He stamped his cane on the floor. “That is not the one. Not ready is he.”
    “Who is ever ready?”
    “Not that one. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment. That one looks from one cloud to another. A Jedi must have the most serious mind. That one cannot keep his mind from his speeder! Hmph. Not him. Her!”
    “Master…”
    “He will not finish what he begins. He is reckless.”
    “Master—”
    “And well we know, the path a reckless one must set his foot.”
    The shimmering Obi-Wan sat down on the bunk beside his old master. “This is damp,” said Obi-Wan.
    “Bother you does dampness do, Master Kenobi?”
    “You’ll be surprised, Master.”
    “For one 900 years old, no more surprises are there.”
    Obi-Wan smiled, “I promise you, Master, you will be surprised.”
    “Hmph,” said Yoda. He lay down on his bed and pulled the blanket up around him. "Already, come the time is, to be with you. Already, come the time is, to become one with the Force.“
    Obi-Wan shook his head. "Not yet.”
    “And to tell me this, you are the one?”
    Obi-Wan spread his arms wide, almost as if he would embrace his old master. "I am the one to tell you this.“
    "Hmph. Impertinent still.”
    “Yes, Master.”
    A long silence. "The other Skywalker, I would train. She is ready.“ Obi-Wan shook his head again. "Hmph! Demanding now, we have become, have we?”
    “Forgive me, Master.”
    “And if I try to teach this rash, this impatient, this mindless boy the ways of the Force and fail - what then?”
    Obi-Wan smiled, “I seem to remember an old master of mine who liked to say something about trying.”
    “Hmph,” said Yoda, and drew the blanket up closer. He closed his eyes, and Obi-Wan waited. "Send him to me, then,“ said Yoda, in a voice quiet as a whisper. Obi-Wan tucked the blanket around Yoda’s chin.
    "And Obi-Wan…”
    “Yes, Master?”
    “Sorry about the pot. I—”
    “It was old and ugly.”
    Yoda opened his eyes. “So am I.”
    “No, Master.”
    “Look, Master Kenobi, look! Old and ugly! What see you?”
    Obi-Wan leaned down close. “A luminous being,” he said.
    “Hmph,” said Yoda, and closed his eyes again. “Annoying, one’s own words to use against him. A bad feeling, I have about that.”
    But Obi-Wan was already gone. Yoda nestled deeply into Qui-Gon Jinn’s cloak. He would sleep now. At least, he would try to sleep. His eyes opened. He probably would not sleep. It was not what he had wished for. Not at all. Still, for the first time, in a long time, he was eager for the next day.

3. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    omg i love that. in fact i love things in general that retcon ANH/ESB to include Leia being a Skywalker. It's why I love the theory that Bail was sending Leia to Obi-Wan in part to start her training.

Though you have to wonder - why not send both Luke and Leia to Dagobah at the beginning of ESB?

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You couldn't "send" Leia anywhere. I don't see Leia dropping her Rebellion duties to run off and do Force stuff.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This.^

fuhry and KSennia like this.
  6. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Okay, still doesn't explain why Obi-Wan or Yoda wouldn't try it. Leia may not be willing to go, but from their perspective she's definitely more valuable as a potential jedi to help take down vader and the emperor and she was literally with Luke a lotta the time and could've hopped along.

Of course we know the answer is that GL didn't have them as siblings first. But it'd be interesting to see the new canon expand on this. We now know Yoda explicitly wanted to train Leia. Why didn't he?

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I think Leia was already very known, Vader could find out. If GL had thinking in Leia/Luke as twins since ANH, maybe both could started the training (but Leia could be more like Ahsoka now, she uses the lightsaber but isn't a jedi anymore).

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I took Disney's statement about no CGI Leia in 9 to mean that they wouldn't recreate her character using CG just as they did with Tarkin and Leia in RO.

I still think it's possible that Abrams and Kennedy will find a way to use real outtake footage of Fisher from TFA and TLJ as Leia, and with some CG additions (changing costume for example) and body double for wide shots, fit her into a brief appearance in 9 somehow.

Maybe Luke is meditating and he and Leia are talking telepathically, and we see Leia walking with a couple of resistance members, and then cut to a wide shot of her boarding a ship, meanwhile Luke's dialog sets up that she's leaving on an important mission, and we hear Leia's voice respond "May the Force be with you..." They could use an alternate take of her saying "Theres still good in him," referring to Kylo, as well...

Enough of a Voice-Over/Force communication scene using real Fisher performances to give Leia decent send off or to set up her leaving and being off screen for the rest of the film, etc.

9. B_Mothmackbar

B_Mothmackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2016
    I just picked up Leia, Princess of Alderaan at the library and I'm so excited to start on it. Hopefully it'll distract me a bit from my anticipation for the character in TLJ, but probably not. I'm itching to know if Leia will reunite with her son and her brother, if those reunions were saved for IX and now lost, and in what way we will leave Leia at the end of TLJ. Also, seeing Carrie on screen and the emotional impact of that makes me nervous. [face_nail_biting]

10. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  11. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014

Well, from my viewpoint the recast debate has nothing to do with gender. The debate is one of character vs. actor. How do you honor both in the best possible way? This is the question. I don't think there's a correct answer or an answer that is more gender equal than any other.

Some base their arguments on the view that honoring the character is more important than honoring the actor. Some base their arguments on the view that honoring the actor is more important than honoring the character. And still another group bases their argument for or against a recast based on a notion that the honoring of the character and the actor should be at a measure as equal as possible.

To reduce the debate to a question of gender is really wrong and detrimental.

Darth_Articulate and jaqen like this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I imagine a bunch of insecure MRA-types in the fandom have already harassed Hamill about that tweet.

KSennia likes this.
  13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    He's said it before which probably wasn't even the first time... because I think I've heard him say that elsewhere. :)

Mark Hamill: “I loved in the original [Star Wars] that Carrie [Fisher] was the take-charge person. ‘You call this a plan? Get me that gun!’ And made Harrison [Ford] and I look like chumps. No one had ever challenged Han Solo before and Luke, you know, was head-over-heels for the girl at first sight. She just took command like nobody else and now for the protagonist [Rey] to be a woman – she’s the new Luke Skywalker – and it was fun to see how empowering it was for girls and women then and to see the traditional continue, it’s wonderful that you can do anything – you don’t have to be restrained by gender.” (April 14, 2017)

MattOrgana likes this.
  14. fuhry

fuhry Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2015
    I may have said this before, and this is seriously risky, but ...

The thing that struck me about the TLJ trailer with regard to Leia is that she is shown from behind wearing a big cloak and a peculiar hairstyle and I was surprised by that, because it calls to mind... Vader. And I started thinking about it - Leia has lost her entire homeworld and has seen the victory of the Rebellion all squandered away. She's now lost her place in the Republic, lost the entire Republic, lost her son to the First Order, lost her husband, first to his own scoundrelly tendencies (or whatever the reason was - it can't be good) and then at the hands of her evil son. She lost the entire Hosnian system Her only hope is getting Luke back, but Luke seems devoid of hope himself. I think she is ripe for a turn to the dark side.

In addition to her Vaderish silhouette, we also know there is a scene where she slaps Poe Dameron. Leia loses her composure? That's unusual. What would she do that would make Poe say something that would cause her to slap him? This is a classic cinematic device which usually means someone said something that hits a little too close to home.

I think it would be tremendously dramatic if Leia started to turn dark - developing an anger-fueled, laser like focus on destroying the First Order, putting the people under her command in danger, with kind of a Moby Dick like angry obsession, and as a result got dramatically injured and had to be placed in a Vader like suit. It would be a shocking twist that Leia of all people would echo her father's fall. Leia would be recast by another actor in a suit, motion capture perhaps, and be revoiced by someone. In this case though, finding herself in a Vader-like suit would shock Leia out of her fall into darkness and allow her to make the ultimate sacrifice to save the galaxy.

The design of Leia's mask, helmet, and partially robotic body would be the most critical aspect of this plot twist. If done wrong, it would be comical. It can't really look like Vader's suit.

15. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  16. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Not a Chance... Never

MattOrgana likes this.
  17. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Ugh, no. That'd be a terrible idea.

And Leia didn't lose Han to his scoundrelly tendencies. They were happily married in Bloodline, six years before TFA. They became estranged due to not being able to deal with their son going Dark, but that was more a mutual split than Han running off and ditching her.

18. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    I can see Leia being angry and out for blood against the First Order, but not on the Dark Side. More like justifiable rage from a good person who has been through tragedy.

Genuine Class and jaqen like this.
  19. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Joely Fisher on ‘Growing Up Fisher’: Details About the ‘Cathartic’ Memoir She Wrote After Her Sister Carrie Fisher’s Death

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and KSennia like this.
  20. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    This just reminds me of how excited I was about Ford and a Fisher reunited less than two years ago. Now it's just depressing.

Finally watched the last season of Castrophe... Carrie was fantastic.

Genuine Class and jaqen like this.
  21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Carrie was indeed fantastic in that final season of catastrophe. That scene where she reacts to Rob’s admission...

As for the rumoured slap - in film language a character slapping another rarely if ever is used as a violent act by someone wronging someone else - it’s used as a “snap out of it” with the recipient of the slap being portrayed as deserving it for stepping out of being reasonable

22. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Andy Serkis remembers 'incredible' Carrie Fisher

DaddlerTheDalek and ChildOfWinds like this.
  23. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    So no scenes of Leia and Snoke together. But maybe Leia and Kylo?

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you all think we'll see Leia use the Force in TLJ beyond sensing peoples feelings?

wobbits likes this.
  25. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    That seems very likely going by the BTS footage:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.