main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Fair Warning: I'm in the camp that doesn't like TLJ very much. That said, I'm totally ok with the concept of space-leia. (I think it looooked like garbage from a visual fx standpoint) But generally, i'm totally onboard with writers writing new powers for forcer-users. Surviving in space for a brief minute, to me, is totally plausible for a force-user.

I simply do not understand why Leia is powerful enough to save herself from dying in space....but kinda didn't know how/want to move a pile of rocks during the final escape.

Like, cmon. Surely she could move some rocks. She's not trained to our knowledge. But she has certainly demonstrated that she has practiced and is quite powerful.

2. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    how has is certainly demonstrated that she has practiced? my takeaway from it is that she has not practiced ever. That this just instinctively happened in a life and death situation.

And I'm in the camp that is just cherry picking scenes from the new series with the original characters, and happy for the actors to be making the money. I think the story structure so far has been really problematic. Like the new actors, but the characters they play aren't doing anything for me. The idea for Leia being a general though I think is one of the best coming out of this whole new cash cow.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I had to port this over from another thread. This is so insightful. It's in reference to Leia's big Force moment in TLJ:

MattOrgana likes this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You're making an argument that Leia can't be temporarily incapacitated, after exposure to space, because her eyes were open?

Force, or no Force, that's not how human physiology works.

CEB and MattOrgana like this.
  5. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Of course she can be temporarily incapacitated after being in space. My argument is not about physiology, it that that's a terrible writer's decision that disrupts the flow and power and significance of her being saved by the Force in that moment. She gets this god-like power we've never seen before in SW, saves herself from death, and then that's followed up with "oh, but she's still in a coma" and won't wake up for a while, so here's her replacement. It's strange. She can survive the cold vacuum of space and float back into the ship, but she can't wake up and be conscious as well? That would seem to be the easiest part of the whole thing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The Force sure helped her father survive worse.

[​IMG]

Why did he still need medical intervention? According to your argument, since the Force helped him survive this horror, it should've just finished the job and healed him completely without the need of any medical attention.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    The real Leia question: Why doesn't she and the Resistance surrender while they can probably still get terms? They're doomed, and their refusal to do so just leads to more death.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Terms? The FO isn't interested in terms. It's interested in obliterating the Resistance.

That's like asking why didn't Laurie Strode just stop running and ask Michael Myers to negotiate the terms of her surrender.

cerealbox likes this.
  9. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    BloodStripe, Revanfan1, jaqen and 3 others like this.
  10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooooooh, that last shared grief with Luke and Leia was wonderful. Storywise, it was part of Luke's farewell. But Darth Real Life turned it into Leia's farewell, too.

That will obviously change how the next movie unfolds. I suppose they could start it with a gathering of all the potential resistance people who did not come to Crait when they meet for General Organa's funeral after she's assassinated. And some of the scenes intended for Leia could be with Luke's Force ghast . . . . sooooooo many possibilities.

When does Episode IX come out?

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Just a question: Are we allowed to post gifs already?

12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    That reunion scene between Luke and Leia was really touching and it still gets me all teared up. Mark and Carrie gave amazing performances.

13. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    That’s a flawed argument - it’s not “she can survive space but she can’t even be conscious”; it’s “she used the force to very narrowly escape what looked like certain death, but that the experience wasn’t without consequences”

BloodStripe, jaqen and Satipo like this.
  14. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Without doubt, the Luke and Leia scene was my favourite of the movie - had me welling up when he kissed her forehead :(

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If they are from officially released material, go ahead. Bootleg material, however, is strictly forbidden. The footage in the gifs posted above was released online on The Star Wars Show this week.

Revanfan1, jaqen and Darth Smurf like this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I remember when all the "insiders" swore that there would be no Luke/Leia reunion.

So glad that turned out to be BS. Along with the "Leia is in a coma after the first few minutes and has a smaller role than TFA" nonsense too.

MattOrgana likes this.
  17. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    This is one of my favorite shots of Leia. She's carrying the weight of the galaxy on her shoulders.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Darth Smurf, jaqen and wobbits like this.
  18. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    Anakin needing the Vader suit and becoming "more machine than man" fit thematically with his arc and was interesting visually and in terms of the plot for his character--a constant reminder of the consequence of his poor decisions and dark side use. Also this was a prequel, so of course Anakin HAD to end up as Vader as we know him. For Leia, our ultimate heroine, the sky's the limit in terms of how her force power can be shown in TLJ. Leia being in a coma after her miraculous salvation from space was boring, took us from the extreme high of "wow she's saved" to the low of "oh, she's asleep now for 30 minutes", which is why it makes much less sense as a script choice. Face it, the only reason for the Leia coma was to shoe-horn in Holdo as the new character that puts Poe in his place, which is mediocre writing.

19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    @Rodie , I like you, but this tangent is the definition of tedious, and your latest insistence that Anakin is allowed to survive the impossible, while still needing major medical assistance, because of "themes", but Leia shouldn't just destroys any credibility you had on this topic.

Moving on...

Current Leia is in the new Battlefront 2 DLC. She looks spot on, and the voice actor nailed so much of Carrie's cadence and sound. It's not 100%, but it's more than close enough for me to absolutely be open to holographic appearances from Leia in IX. The voice actor deserved kudos because if younger Carrie's voice is difficult to emulate, older Carrie's voice is damn near impossible.

MattOrgana likes this.
  20. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    What's the theme of Leia's coma? I'm open to that if there's something I'm missing.

21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Leia's coma serves Poe's arc. As long as she's around, he wouldn't get the chance to test the waters of his burgeoning desires to lead, fight with Holdo (who serves as a neutral Leia surrogate, but without the emotional weight and authority), fail miserably, and come out the other side better than he went in. Leia's coma served a similar purpose as Obi Wan's death.

Han. Leia. Luke. They all have some unfinished business of their own, but all of their roles are largely designed to advance the narrative for the new heroes.

Leia's big Force moment was about her. Her power, potential, and legacy.
    Her coma was about Poe. His growth, his potential, and his own eventual legacy as Leia's replacement.

MattOrgana likes this.
  22. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Personally I think the fact they had something big planned for Leia in Episode 9 still needs to be realised somehow.

We cannot go the whole trilogy without somehow getting a scene between Leia and her son.

I'd be happy for them to do it as a ghost or even with a stand in actress.

The character deserves an arc that ends with it being justified why she is the other hope.

23. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    My prediction / hope for IX is that Leia would have been the one to finally confront and save Kylo Ren justifying Yoda's faith in her being the galaxy's other hope and bringing the saga full circle by ending with a mother redeeming a son rather than a son redeeming a father.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The first time I saw TLJ I was so enamored by everything going on that this scene almost didn't have the significance to me that it actually carries. The second time? Wow. It's such a fantastic scene, both as sort of a meta farewell to Carrie Fisher and as a beautiful reunion/goodbye between Luke and Leia. I think when TLJ is released on Blu-ray and I get to watch it alongside the OT, this scene will become extremely memorable when comparing their interactions as young adults vs. aged-but-still-fighting heroes.

jaqen, TCF-1138 and MattOrgana like this.
  25. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    I no everything is subjective, but I was reading/watching something a few days back... for the life of me can't remember what? What I do remember is being a bit taken aback by someone being adamant that Leia's character should be recast. I think they continued, saying that it would be a disgrace not to carry on the character's legacy, that it would almost be an insult to Carrie Fisher to have her die off screen.

Star Wars is older than me by a couple of years... boy, that makes me feel old. Anyhow, with all the respect in the world I couldn't disagree more. Carrie Fisher is Leia, and in my fragile little mind the two are the same. I've been watching these films for so long that to witness someone else play her role would cause my eyeballs to explode due to tear duct pressure. Either that, or the galaxy far, far away would fold in on itself and cease to exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.