main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It might also be that she just really enjoys working out?

2. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    I don't take any of them seriously. Its seems almost everyone and their brother has a scoop or knows some one at the studio. I think its funny because evey mouth oweek theres a new leak I don't believe Lucas film / Disney would be that sloppy . And people willing to risk losing their jobs and possible black listed . But there are some dumb people out there though . A big company like Disney /Lucas film will find you trust me . I worked for a big grocery store chain once and theare . they put up stings for every thing .

jaqen likes this.
  3. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Carrie Fisher attends a photocall as campaigners submit an 11 million signature petition calling for an end to China’s Yulin dog meat festival at Chinese Embassy London on June 7, 2016 in London, England.

(Wow, she's in excellent shape!)

4. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Dog meat's the best! Damn her!;)

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    And wasn't Carrie in Ireland along with Mark?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This thread is following the same path as the Luke thread for TFA, people in denial about the possibility of a small role for Leia. I said before on another thread, and got crucified for it, other than possibly meeting Kylo again Leia doesn't have a lot to offer the story now IMO. Luke will be the lead from the original main actors, and as they did with Han in TFA they will probably make sure only 1 of those characters is the main focus of the story.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Carrie is shooting far more than Mark did for TFA and even the latest rumors have her in the film more than a few second cameo. So no, it's not.

We're speculating based off evidence. Carrie was shooting from the beginning and is now either in London, or will be soon, for another month of shooting.

I doubt anybody here is suggesting Carrie Fisher is going to have a large role, or be the "main focus". Speaking for myself even if she has a very small one it won't ruin VIII for me. But it seems silly to ignore her shooting schedule just to add credence to random people on IMDB. Not even MSW's info touched on the size of her role.

MattOrgana likes this.
  8. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    There was the same thought process over Marks shooting time and his movements on TFA too. It wouldn't surprise me its all smoke and mirrors.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Difference between Mark and Carrie is that it's easier to track her movements. She tweets as she moves, and often while in London works on other projects or makes TV appearances. Her placement overseas is not "smoke and mirrors". You barely saw Mark anywhere during the filming of TFA.

You seem to be trying to relate two totally different situations that don't have much in common at all.

But, by all means, show me one reputable source that says Leia will have a 10 second cameo like Luke did in TFA.

Carrie was only 90 something pounds in ROTJ, so not that small. But she does look around ANH size.

I'm hoping it's for a more physical role as well. Of course it also could just be for her own personal vanity and/or health, or Disney asked her to lose even more weight for aesthetic reasons.

MattOrgana likes this.
  10. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Leia uses the Force to save herself from dying?
    Leia = Plagueis confirmed!

11. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nope, Plagueis was only able to save others from dying, but not himself. o_O

thejeditraitor and jaqen like this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

According to Sidious, the slippery snake. Can you believe everything he says?

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    More words regarding Carrie's shooting schedule. This time from her own daughter. Looks like Carrie will have spent at least two months shooting for VIII.

I suppose Billie Lourd is in on the smoke and mirrors too? The elaborate ruse to mask Leia's impending 10 second cameo...

“I’m back in [Star Wars: Episode VIII]. I shot for a month. I’ve already signed, so I can’t say much. But I’m going back in June and I’m shooting for another month.

[Working with her is] really trippy. We’re watching each other. And we’re still being mother-daughter, even though it’s like, actress-actress…She’s awesome. And it was even better in this one. She’s great and she looks great. She’s killing it."

Darth Nikean and MattOrgana like this.
  14. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    Carrie is going to be writing an advice column for the Guardian!

Given that her advice for Daisy Ridley was 'don't go through the crew like wildfire', I can't but help but think this might be a bit more entertaining than your average advice column...

15. AndyLGR

May 1, 2014
    Of course the sources that are saying Leia is having reduced screen time could be way off. All I'm saying is don't get raised hopes on appearance time based on someone movements.

The Luke fans did a similar thing on the TFA thread and refused to even contemplate Luke only appearing briefly, so when the rumours were confirmed true they were jumping off cliffs.

We'll see come next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if she has similar to TFA or reduced screen time so that Luke is the focus of the attention of the original actors.

HanSolo29 and jaqen like this.
  16. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

You're right. None of us know for a fact how much Leia will be in the film. Based off her shooting schedule, and now comments from Billie, it's looking promising though.

Speaking only for myself? I'd be fine with Leia being out of the film for a large chunk, as long as they make good use of her time. It's really not about quantity, but quality. She was not in TFA that much, maybe about 4 minutes of collective screen time. I'd like a bit more than that, but overall, I was mostly fine with TFA.

I'm not, and never have, expected any of the Big 3 to have massive roles in any of these films. Even Han, arguably the most popular good guy character of the entire saga, was just support; heavy support, but support none the less. These films belong to the youngins.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    btw msw said that some of the reports of her shooting in ireland were untrue. she was visiting some but not shooting. people seem to be angry that the ot 3 won't have as much screentime in the st but that has always been the plan. hamill said it himself. so have carrie and harrison. the st is about the new characters.

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Regarding screen time, the below list is really interesting. Somebody used a stop watch to measure the screen time for all the characters in each film's original release:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls031379663/

Leia sits at number 6 out of 64.

But what's most incredible is that many of the most well known people from film saga really weren't in them nearly as much as I thought.

Yoda is only in the saga for 38 minutes across 5 films.
    Lando only has 15 minutes in the OT.
    Mace Windu is only in 15 minutes across the entire PT.
    Poe is only in TFA for 9 minutes.
    Wedge is only in the OT for 3 minutes.
    Captian Panaka (at 8 minutes) has more screen time than Jabba (at 7 minutes) has the entire saga.

Just a reminder that yeah, when it comes to film, it's less about screen time and more about how that screentime is used. Many people on the list I assumed were seen far more than they actually were.

19. nickrington

nickrington Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2015
    I expect a small but effective, focused and powerful role for Leia in Ep8. It sounds good that she will some action and I suspect the rumour that she uses the force ties into a moment in the Bloodlines novel where she senses the attack on the senate district. In the context of the ST it is important the legacy characters are used sparingly or it will come off as cheesy, fan service. I love Leia. I love Carrie (saw her live in 2010 for her one women show - best night!). But there is not much beyond her connection to Kylo for Leia to contribute much to the ST. If we want more Leia I think it should be in a standalone film or mini-series (i.e a Bloodlines adaption)...

All that said Leia would naturally play a role in the tidy up after the inevitable fall of the first order and turning her son back to the light .... EP9 will the Carrie movie! (we hope!!)

La Calavera, ksb36 and jaqen like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

That depends largely on how much VII and IX cover the state of the galaxy.

In MSW's original outlines Leia was featured more prominently in TFA because they originally intended to show more of the battle between the Republic/Resistance and The New Order. If they decided to delve further into that conflict Leia has a natural role beyond just Kylo.

Like you said, it is hopeful that Colin Trevorrow wants to expand the roles of Luke and Leia in IX. There's still plenty left for the Skywalker twins to do in support roles, without completely sidelining them.

21. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    There is no use arguing with these people the follow click bait and see it as truth . Us who follow theses two actors like me and you know the truth I assume some of it anyway Mark and Carrie have been together a few time during shooting . Carrie has been seen In Ireland . so there are no smoke and mirrors . this is getting irrertating hereing thises anti Luke and Leia comments .

22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    carrie wasn't shooting in ireland though. it was falsely reported she was but she was only visiting... and who is anti luke and leia? are you serious?

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  24. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    Oh well, if it's true. I wasnt really a fan of The Force Awakens story and film anyway. And really only watch it for the few scenes with the old gang back... Like Threepeeo interrupting or the Chewie, Leia hug. I'm just thrilled for Fisher enjoying this time again.

But in terms of story, these new installments don't affect how I view the original trilogy. Like Terms of Endearment and Jaws is not affected by The Evening Star or Jaws IV for me. I think there was even a sequel to Gone With the Wind produced fifty years later.

La Calavera and Master_Lok like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Shrugs. As long as Leia has some solid screen time and isn't tripped up by some stupid plot device, I'll be fine. And I couldn't give a flying fig newton if Rey is or is not her child or Luke's. She isn't the only young person in this new series with a mysterious background.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.