main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I really wish in TFA, at least once, they'd have let Leia wear her hair down like Carrie has it in that interview. So lovely.

MattOrgana and JoJoPenelli like this.
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    That...literally made me tear up. Thanks for posting that.

DaddlerTheDalek, MattOrgana and jaqen like this.
  3. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Well, thanks to Princess of Alderaan, we now know what "letting your hair down" means to an Alderaanian woman:

Leia’s Journey to Heir of Alderaan and Rebel Leader

(And I highly recommend this review)

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    A very thorough review, thanks for posting the link.

DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You know what's funny MattOrgana? I had written, then erased, in my post that I would've loved to see Leia's hair down like that during a quiet, intimate scene between just her and Han.

Claire1976, Master_Lok and MattOrgana like this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    And then what?

7. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    I think we could actually get a scene like that in a Han and Leia book set in the aftermath of the Battle of Endor, hopefully involving their wedding.

There a two books I really want to read, both set right after Endor: a Han and Leia book, hopefully written by Claudia Gray (Lucasfilm should made her the definite Leia biographer), and a Luke and Leia book, about them finding about their originis (and I'd like Troy Denning to write this one).

Genuine Class and Claire1976 like this.
  8. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  9. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I've suspected that the coma rumors could have been born out of other story rumors, namely that after an attack by the FO, Leia is absent from resistance leadership and that storyline focuses on Holdo and Poe instead. So to explain Leia's absence somehow that led to the rumor that she's injured. But perhaps what actually happens is she's captured by the FO and spends part of the movie in their custody.

MattOrgana likes this.
  10. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Spoiler for Leia book:

In the new Leia book, Leia lets her then boyfriend take her hair down, so I dunno if I'd want to see a repeat scene of Han doing it to Leia because it might feel like a cheap copy. Him seeing her with her hair down, sure - although presumably he's already seen that way before ROTJ since they spent months on the Falcon together on the way to Bespin.

I just had a conversation with Troy on Twitter and he was saying he really misses writing Han/Leia but that he longer writes in that universe. Can't blame him for being a bit bitter after having like 20 books he wrote wiped out of canon lol. But maybe he'll come around like Zahn eventually did.

MattOrgana likes this.
  11. Padme1977

Padme1977 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 8, 2013

Wow, what a great re-interpretation, I have read the new Leia book and greatly enjoyed, and did catch the "letting your hair down" bit, but didn't connect it to ROTJ and your right it does kind of make that "ewok village" scene more powerful. It just seems that everytime there is a new addition to Star Wars, it makes what already exists that much more powerful. Of course at the time it probably wasn't intentional, and that is what makes it even better story telling.

Jennifer

Genuine Class and MattOrgana like this.
  12. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    So, we're finally getting a Brazilian edition of Bloodline. And here's the cover:

[​IMG]

(thanks to LelalMekha)

The title was translated as Legado de Sangue, which literally means "Legacy of Blood". "Bloodline" doesn't have an exact counterpart in Portuguese; the closest word would be "linhagem" ("lineage").

Can't wait to (finally) read this book. And as always, we have the best Star Wars book covers here in Brazil ;)

13. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Nice cover, lucky for them.

MattOrgana likes this.
  14. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    So JJ Abrams is back to direct Ep. IX. I can't say I'm thrilled. As much as like TFA, JJ didn't really get Leia and wasn't the best director to work with Carrie. I don't think he is the best choice to give Leia and end that will honor both the character and the actress who brought her to life. Colin Trevorrow wasn't the best choice either, so...

Oh, well. I hope JJ will prove me wrong.

15. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Leia isn't even in Episode IX though right? The most will be a passing reference that she died between films or that she's off planet somewhere on a mission. I agree with you thought that I never felt like JJ got Han and Leia beyond their ANH characterizations.

16. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    If it's true that they didn't change TLJ after Carrie's passing, IX will have to deal with the character's fate in some way. Personally, I don't feel like Leia can be dealt with just a passing reference, specially since she was suposed the be front and center (like Han in TFA and Luke in TLJ), according to Kathleen Kennedy.

If Leia is to die, or if she's just absent, I hope her loss/absence affects the characters and the plot. If you can't have Leia front and center in the movie as was the original plan, make it about her legacy.

MrDarth0, Doom_Buggy and jaqen like this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Well here's the thing, for whatever issues he may have had with working with Carrie, he did write TFA with a lot of Leia reverence. And I did love that he brought Leia back as, on paper at least, active, involved, still fighting the good fight, the general of a strong army.

He also has the benefit of the Leia developments, not to mention Carrie's performance, in TLJ. He'll hopefully be inspired by that and wrap up Leia's legacy well.

18. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    I have no doubt IX will be a great movie (just like TFA), how JJ will handle Leia is my only concern.

I guess he can always consult with Rian Johnson, and I trust Kathleen Kennedy will ensure both Leia and Carrie are honored, so I hope I'll be able to say JJ proved me wrong in 2019.

Claire1976 and jaqen like this.
  19. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Billie Lourd Talks “Surreal” Life Without Mom Carrie Fisher and Grandmother Debbie Reynolds

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    JJ's in a real pickle. He seemingly has to find a way to essentially close the book on the character in a way that's tasteful and makes sense in the context of the story being told. Killing off the character would seem harsh but then having another character explain why she's not around might be hard to pull off too.

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

TFA was in no way Leia's movie though. Based on the story they told there just wasn't a ton for her to do, and I'm not sure how Leia could have been written better or been given a larger role. Maybe giving her a longer scene with Rey at the end would have been nice. And a scene early in the film in the senate or something that showed her being a boss lady of the Resistance and telling all these non-believers that they need to be ready to fight the First Order...But they didn't do that.

By most accounts she has a meatier role in TLJ. So that's great news.

22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Reposted from a different thread:
    I suppose there's something to be said for the continuity issue. If each episode had a different actress playing Leia, or even just a different actress in the sequel trilogy, there wouldn't be anything distracting from the story. But having the same actress play her throughout one trilogy and only in two of the next could indeed be distracting. But again, if the story hinges on Leia's presence, I'd much rather experience a very momentary distraction to see it played out, then settle for a compromised, more contrived story without it. And in terms of commercial success, I'm pretty sure most audience would have the same response.

I'm not sure what "preserving our collective consciousness of Carrie's contribution to Leia" means exactly, and I'm not sure how that would be diminished by a new actress. That's kind of like saying having another child is going to make yo forget about the child you lost., which would obviously be an absurd way of thinking. Carrie is irreplaceable in the same sense that a child who died young is irreplaceable: no one can ever bring what they uniquely brought to the world and your life. But the new child is not a lesser child and is not a substitute. It is a completely new child bringing it's own unique contribution to the world. Likewise with any actress that plays a character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Any chance JJ only signed on so he could bring Leia back [face_praying]

24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    No.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I wonder if there is any way to have Billie Lourd, with alterations of course, to play Leia in IX. I mean-who else to finish her mom's legacy. At least use her as a stand in IF they were taking the CGI approach.

Dunno-just a thought.

And remember, all of what KK said about Leia (or rather Carrie) not being in IX was while Colin was writing the story. Now JJ is writing the story so......[face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.