main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I think if the character has a worthwhile arc to still go on (and she does) the character should be recast

2. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    If the idea was that Anakin's love of his mother was the first step to the dark and Kylo will mirror that with his love of his mother being the first step to the light they can still do it without her. They just need to do it without that big confrontation. I also wouldn't be opposed to having Pernilla and Natalie reprise their roles in a forceback to hammer the theme home.

DarthWolvo23 likes this.
  3. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Assuming Leia dies off screen prior to Ep 9, the circumstances behind that (for example, General Hux being behind it) may be a factor in Kylo turning against the Dark Side.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Like so many, I want to see Leia's story continue, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't conflicted with the loss of Carrie. I still can't imagine anyone else in the role. I recently saw a scene from Battlefront with a holographic Leia, it takes place right before TLJ - while it was very well done, it's hard to picture something like that on the big screen. The voice actor captured an aged Leia, but CGI would likely be anempty performance if used during a movie. Tarkin and Leia looked alright in RO, but there just wasn't a soul behind the character if that makes sense...

Asajj Ventress likes this.
  5. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Yeah, I agree with the CG Tarkin and Leia. I didn't react to it like many people did, all angry etc... you can't escape the uncanny valley and I think our minds are just programmed to know something's off regardless of how good effects get.
    I dunno, maybe they can find a nice little, touching and artistic way to send her off and pay tribute without throwing $millions at the screen hoping it works. Tarkin was used way to much, just seeing his reflection and hearing his voice would have been enough, and with Leia again, just seeing her white gown would have been subtle, restrained and would have worked just as well.
    Maybe seeing Leia in a hologram again, like ANH and TLJ would be a poetic way to say goodbye without recasting?

6. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
  7. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    See I don't think there would be an uncanny valley issue because I think they would be using unused takes of her from ealier. And the cgi would be no different than all the cgi used on her in Force Awakens where every frame of her had the ponytail removed.

MattOrgana and jaqen like this.
  8. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I'm all for them using footage from previous films and deleted scenes, the CGI that worries me is the RO Tarkin / Leia cameos, where its another actor basically wearing a digital mask. Tarkin honestly didn't bother me per say,because I felt no connection to the character, Carrie is entirely different, I suppose its a personal issue for each fan.

9. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    Honestly, I'm happy witch ever way they go as long as it doesn't feel too forced, pun intended, or out of place. Subtlety and restrained is the key, just please don't recast her character and everything will be O.K.
    I'm sure using unused footage spliced with CGI isn't too difficult for ILM to pull off... it's mind blowing what digital artists can accomplish nowadays.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Rian Johnson's tweets to a Leia-using-the-Force detractor are golden, as is his final NSFThisForum tweet on the subject.

I suggest you head over to his time line.

Gold.

TK327, MattOrgana and Satipo like this.
  11. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    I'd love to see Carrie's response to those detractors.

Satipo likes this.
  12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It would be a Carrie hand movement that's not safe for this site.

13. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Could you link to the tweets please?

I can't find them

14. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Carrie Fisher Wins 2018 Grammy for Best Spoken Word

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  15. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  16. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  17. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    I miss our Princess deeply ... =(

18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I miss her too :(

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  19. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    What an acceptance speech that would have been. LOL Love that lady. #CARRIEON

Claire1976, jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  20. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  22. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  23. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    Ok, that last gif almost got me going...@MattOrgana, you just had to add that didn't you? LOL

I still don't like the idea of a recast. Carrie is gone. Leia is gone. I would feel the same if (God forbid), it happened to Harrison or Mark.

If they mentioned that she passed in some way and they will were all present, with some sort of backstory, I'd be fine with that. Continue with her legacy. That is why I'm adamant that Mark be in it somehow.

MattOrgana likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Please no recasting. Because that worked so well for movies like Godfather Part III and Matrix 3.

25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    She wasn't really in the film nor was used properly. Although her moments with C3PO, detecting Kylo and the moment with Luke was wonderful for what I received.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.