main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Absurd and embarrassing is the number of fans who can't accept that Leia was powerful enough to do it.

Lost_Hope and themoth like this.
  2. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Calm it, JJ.

3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Nobody said she isn't powerful. There's complains about Snoke's scenes too (the CGI when he touches Rey's face). Rian had 92829839283 ways to show Leia using her powers.

When the scene happened, some people commented that they were focus in if her dress/hair was moving in space... You don't need to put Leia, Luke etc in the vacuum of space to show their power

4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You don't need to. But you can do.

Lost_Hope, TK327 and DarthHass like this.
  5. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    If that's what people focused on then I won't comment on that. It's my personal assumption that no matter how it could have been depicted, people would've still found problems or taken issue with her force use. In my eyes it's the same way Rey's force powers are criticized. But that's my opinion so what do I know .

And wasn't snokes hand a prop? I think I saw someone holding a hand during the Andy Serkis live bit on the extra with the digital/bluray

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Lost_Hope, TK327 and Satipo like this.
  6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, Snoke's hand is a prop I believe.

Django Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I'm a big fan of Leia and I always wanted to see her powers but that scene was weird to me. Yes, exist sexist people who hates Rey and Leia using powers but there's people like me too. It's like "everybody who hate TLJ is a group of sexist" and ignore poc and women fans who make criticism about the movie (I'm a latina woman and I didn't like TLJ).

PS: My bad about Snoke's hand thing. I saw people commenting about Snoke's hand and I forgot that his hand wasn't a CGI

8. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I had two major problems with Leia Poppins and neither have to do with her doing a strong display of power with the Force. I wanted Leia to already be a Jedi in the ST.

First surviving in space. Didn’t like it with Kanan in Rebels and they seem to double down on it with her here.

Second the execution was comical imo. Its like they went out of their way to make it look like Mary Poppins. Cringeworthy if you ask me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Darth Smurf likes this.
  9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Loved Leia in TLJ. Her Mary Poppins scene was great. I think the best option for Leia to be in 9 is to have her recreated digitally like Tarkin in RO. Having Leia die offscreen or written out seems like a disservice to Leia and Carrie.

10. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    LFL was clearly establishing that strong Force sensitive beings can survive in space for a limited time. I don't see how this ability is any different than the multitude of powers we've seen in animation and the movies over the years. I wonder if it were Luke in space...how would the fans react if he were to survive instead - I doubt we'd see the disgruntled comments; many fans deify him.

Personally, I think the scene was beautifully shot, not only a great moment for the character, but for Carrie, which is the focus of this thread. After her loss, the scene holds more meaning to her true fan base. I think she'd laugh at the debate and "Carrie Poppins" jokes - so that's what we should do as well.

MattOrgana likes this.
  11. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    Most people who take issue with the scene again don’t care who it was. If it was Luke I would have just a big a problem. As I just stated I didn’t like when Kanan did it either. So these passive aggressive allegations of sexism are getting tiring.

MasterPrince713 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Two guys dueling and doing acrobatics surrounded by lava is totally believable, though....

13. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes lol ignore anything said and do whataboutism.

But to play your little game no don’t have a problem with it. If they did what I feel they should have from the beginning and have Leia be a Jedi 30 years after ROTJ I would have no problem with her dueling in such conditions either.

MasterPrince713 likes this.
  14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I have my own real problems. I don’t have a problem with Star Wars and that includes the PT, the OT, and the ST.

15. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Well, you only speak for yourself - you cant define what "most people" think or what the reason is behind their opinion. Its good to know that your opinion is based on all characters in this situation - but its obvious that the new writers / directors want Force abilities to evolve, and this is one of those cases. As for sexism - I never mentioned it - I'm referring only to the two iconic characters and whether fans would view Luke differently. Some people deify him and consider him to be the strongest Force user ever to exist, so they may look at him using the same ability differently. That has nothing to do with his gender, rather this status as the legendary last of the Jedi. The feigned sexism comments can be left out of this discussion, as you obviously didn't know my intent.

16. -LordSkywalker-

Aug 3, 2013
    I do but I see what other people are posting about their issues with it and their reasons are very similar to mine. And almost all I have seen have nothing to do with gender. Heck a lot of people who take issue with it on this board are women and wanted Leia to have a powerful Force moment.

Fair enough. I took issue with the power itself. I am all for amazing Force abilities by powerful force users. Leia is one just like Luke. I think it was a big miss by the ST not having her be a Jedi already.

17. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    We're on the same page in that case - because gender doesn't factor into my opinion either - its all about character status and established history. I can admit that Leia's display was a bit shocking because she never used her Force sensitivity in a movie this overtly. I suppose if they made her a Jedi with a set range of powers starting with TFA, it may have taken away from this moment, that could have been what Rian was thinking...

18. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I liked how Carrie had little digs at her outfits in TFA. Classy gas station attendant and baboons ass hairdo.

She seemed to adore Rian Johnson, but I haven't heard anything about her feelings towards her look in TLJ except that she asked for more space jewelry. Maybe she would have given press time but still.

19. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    I actually liked the idea of Leia not being a Jedi or trained more. Why? Not because I don’t think it would be amazing, but because she, Han and Luke are the main characters.... and like Rey.... it’s too important to not have that discovery in the actual story, film. I took the explosion space walk and sensing Han’s death not as something she’s honed through training. Instead as something she’s suppressed yet creeps up and she can’t control. That’s why I think it would’ve been even more amazing for the last chapter after Luke’s talk she embraces her power and uses it to fully reach her son.

MattOrgana likes this.
  20. castlecrasher2

castlecrasher2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2018
    I almost hate saying this but Carrie's performance in TLJ convinced me they should have ignored Han/Leia in the ST and only maybe included Luke. Any scene that Leia isn't doing something, she has a glazed look plastered on her face. It's especially jarring just after the hyperspace suicide, like she's thinking "eh, nothin' new, seen this a hundred times."

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Huh. We all really do see different things, because I couldn't disagree more. I thought Carrie was amazing in TLJ. She was good in TFA too, but I liked her role better in TLJ.
    And I thought Harrison was excellent in TFA too, for that matter.

Django Fett and MattOrgana like this.
  22. TheEvilQueen

TheEvilQueen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2018
    Han and Leia are my favorites of the OT trio, so I couldn't disagree more. Han/Ford had a great part in TFA, and while I think criticism of TFA Carrie was ridiculous and she was fine in it for the little time she had, I thought she was amazing in TLJ. She and Rian seemed to work great together, though, that's the vibe I got from some of the BTS stuff.

And I don't think she needed to trained as a Jedi to be able to harness her power. I had no problem with that scene and I wanted to see her use her abilities at least once in the ST. No Jedi label required. What could've been in IX will always make me sad...

I get that there are people who genuinely don't care for way the scene was shot, or think it wasn't the best way to show her powers. But I've also run into some absurdly over the top criticism of it that just shows an ugliness I doubt would be there if something similar had happened with Luke.

Lost_Hope and MattOrgana like this.
  23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Huh? I thought that was the point. Leia is literally the Head Woman in Charge, HWIC, she's not going to ooh and ah like some schoolgirl or a fresh faced recruit.

She'd be the total opposite. And put on a stern face for her subordinates. Accept when she's alone, like we so her when they pulled out of lightspeed after leaving D'Qar.

DarthHass and MattOrgana like this.
  24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I don't remember Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and any of the Jedi Council laughing and joking during the Clone Wars, this were serious times and the lives of others hang on their shoulders.

I do think though having Leia not be a trained Jedi a monumental mistake, even if she then chose to follow a different path just a hint at what she was capable of would've been enough and made the "space flight" far more understanding for the audience. It also would make her decision to allow Luke to take on Kylo far understandable had she done the same previously and given her some understanding on how and why Kylo could be turned more than just flatly blaming Snoke.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  25. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Carrie's performance was stellar, and often her facial expressions were rather subtle, but if you're paying attention you'll notice. When Holdo jumped the Raddus into the FO fleet, the look on her face isnt glazed over, she's almost sullen, as if her heart dropped. She lost a friend she knew since she was a teenager, and with her, the last Resistance cruiser. For the character, it's a significant loss, and their situation is all the more desperate...

DarthHass, MattOrgana and Martoto77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.