main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I’m sorry, Leia “redeeming” Kylo over Han and Luke’s dead bodies is, to me, a betrayal of her love for Han and Luke.

She shouldn’t have sent Han in the first place, now Kylo has rejected Han, Rey and Luke. How many more people have to die? That Han and Leia’s child is now the Emperor is bad enough but him skipping back to the light because Leia decides to ignore him murdering Han and causing Luke’s death (and trying to murder him twice) is, to me, far worse.

Also, so, Leia’s only function is to redeem Kylo? Why not finally win the war?

Edited

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    11-4D, ChildOfWinds and Darth Smurf like this.
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Is this confirmed that it wasn’t in the original script, or is it an assumption based on the word “edited”?

It’s interesting to me because I assumed that the obvious intent there would be Kylo and Leia connecting via the force and then Kylo can’t shoot. I thought that moment was well done and had no reason to think it wasn’t supposed to be there from the beginning. It seems like an obvious scene this movie should have, and there it is. But the lack of follow up, the lack of relevance this moment has on the rest of Kylo and Leia’s individual arcs makes so much more sense if it was a spitballed last minute addition. That’s really really too bad, and so much wasted potential, but I get why it’s likely so insignificant now. That’s very strange because it’s one of the very rare moments Kylo seems to not do something evil, but it’s an afterthought, like the assumption behind the scenes is that Kylo didn’t need moments like this in order for “everyone” to relate to him.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    PendragonM likes this.
  3. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    To me to tie the whole saga together we need something in 9 that justifies Leia being the other hope for the galaxy

DarthTalonx likes this.
  4. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  6. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    Apparently in the latest Poe Dameron comic Leia suggests she won't be around for much longer :-(

7. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I don't need much of an explanation for Leia's absence from Episode IX. It could be anything from just the character being someplace else at the time, retiring or going into exile to the character dying between movies. We know what happened, and it was big enough to not view a lacking "in-universe" explanation as being a story flaw. Writers could work from that, especially with all the mysteries of the Force. Luke and Leia (with Anakin) are gone yet strong in the Force. What effect does that have on people in tune with the Force, and not just Rey and Kylo Ren but maybe even Force users and aspiring Jedi like the kid at the end of the movie?
    When Carrie Fisher died, the powers-that-be should have stepped outside of the movie and decided to keep Luke for Episode IX. All that would have required was not using the effects shot of him fading away. They could have even kept the following scene with Rey and Leia talking about Luke being gone and left his fate ambiguous, for us to ponder until the next episode.
    Leia in "The Last Jedi" is really the only thing that motivates me to wanting to get the movie and watch it at home (after three theater viewings). So far I have not.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    PendragonM likes this.
  8. DarthWolvo23

Jan 30, 2005
    I'm hoping for at least a shot at the end of force ghost Anakin, Luke and Leia

9. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I think we could have seen Leia being the one to choose between her son and the greater good. She knows Kylo was too far gone, but I assume she was going to have a confrontation and she was going to be the one to stop him. Probably would have had a saber fight if I had to guess.

10. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    There was a panel like that but in an older Poe comic from 2017. I haven't seen the last issue released since april's.

I re watched the last Jedi last night and I really can't express how much I adore the film. I loved it, more so than the force awakens. TFA was really fun but a montage of classic moments reshaped but TLJ was so different and I'll be forever grateful for the story leia got in TLJ and sequel trilogy.

rorow1 and jaqen like this.
  11. Kalmanta

Kalmanta Jedi Padawan

Jul 22, 2017
    I watched it again, too on Wednesday and I love this movie more and more with every watch. Yeah there are some eye-rolling moments and I‘m still a bit frustrated with Finn‘s arc, but there is so much to look for . Top notch acting, striking imagery and visuals, great world-building, an awesome Luke and The Canto Bight Theme is one of my favorites now. 8,5/10, 2nd best SW movie.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    DarthHass and jaqen like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So what's up with Leia's cane? Is it just to show the spacewalk did a number on her or is it also there to indicate that she won't be leading the Rebels forever, hence her need to have Poe learn to be a leader. I think it's a bit of both.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am laboring to draw a conclusion on this but: what reasoning (aside from Kylo Ren's plot needs) was behind the thinking of Luke handing Leia Han's dice as something vitally significant to remember him by... and she just drops them on the freakin floor when she leaves?

PendragonM likes this.
  14. GeneralAutum

GeneralAutum Jedi Knight

Jun 25, 2016
    this might have been asked before...but am i the only one that noticed when Leia says her first line to Poe in TLJ she does not sound at all like Carrie? it's like they used someone else voice. her line i think is

" I'm with the droid on this one"

15. GeneralAutum

GeneralAutum Jedi Knight

Jun 25, 2016
    well, the dice disappears. so technically she never actually had them.

themoth likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Really...? I had no idea they were a Force projection.

That answers so many questions. It doesn't even begin to answer the question I posited but I am certain it answers so many other questions.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. And I don’t think it was about Luke giving Leia something to remember HIM by. It was a direct reference to Han, consoling her about his death.

wobbits and rorow1 like this.
  18. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I think she left the dice there on purpose. She knew kylo would come for them and wanted him to see it. To remember.

Something to the affect of no one ever really being gone

themoth likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    She is thoroughly consoled considering they were tossed on the floor.

11-4D likes this.
  20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed, because that’s what actually happens in the film.

21. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    She and Luke couldn't even mention Han's name, which has led to this fight over who's "never really gone" - Han or Kylo. But I'm betting Kylo because they didn't mention Han's name and Maker forbid one more thing in this trilogy isn't wrapped or should I saw warped around Kylo.

22. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Luke likely brought them as a token of his own grieving and by handing them to Leia it conveyed that they both missed him and were thinking about him. They likely shared that through the Force though, so a memento wasn't needed. I think she left them behind for two reasons - she knew they were just a manifestation, and Ben was going to stumble on them when they abandoned the base. As for Luke's comment, "no ones ever really gone" he was replying to what Leia said about her son, but it clearly applies to Han as well...

23. BrotherKylo

BrotherKylo Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 30, 2017
    I really enjoyed Carries performance in this movie. The ending scene with Luke/Leia was gut wrenching thou. It was like a double goodbye.[face_sigh]

24. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I think leia had a cane because rian Johnson knew Carrie fisher could use one when she walked and it would help her. It also implies she was still injured.

In the comic when -- when leia tells Poe they need to have a conversation -- to me that's more about the mutiny he caused then anything else.

I saw TLJ again last night and will miss Carrie and her space jewelry in episode IX

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Carrie is ******* solid, and as much as I've always liked her, I've underrated her. She didn't have much to do in the ST, but she made the most of it.

I guess a small part I really liked seeing in TLJ was just seeing Carrie with a blaster in her hands again. I was ready to swing across a chasm and blast stormtroopers right alongside her all over again. Haven't had that feeling in a long, long time.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.