main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I LOVED any her with the blaster too! Iconic for the general.

2. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes! I loved seeing her firing off her blaster rifle as she charged the shuttle with zero fear. That's the Leia from the OT.

3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I met Carrie during the filming of TLJ. She was rocking black skinny jeans and high heeled boots. She didn't need help walking whatsoever.

4. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    Lol. I love that.

To be honest there were times she looked a bit frail when walking. Bad assumption on my part.

So I guess it was to show leia wasn't recovered yet.

jaqen likes this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, it was definitely a character thing. Did you ever see her panel at Celebration 2016? She was walking, kneeling, and even jogged a little during the Leia/Wickett re-enactment scene with Warwick. She seemed to actually move quite well.

6. DarthHass

Nov 20, 2004
    I never get tired of those interview and hearing her wit

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm really grateful that she left SO MUCH of her wit and talent behind for us to read and watch.

rorow1 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hah, I agree Leia charging at the shuttle guns blazing is pretty awesome and kind of hilarious because it seems she's determined to blow the pilots to bit and it's poor Finn and Rose.

DaddlerTheDalek and Ridley Solo like this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Let's not forget that Leia fired not one, but TWO blasters. That stun gun moment with Poe got nice reactions from the audiences I saw TLJ with.

It was a strong way to reintroduce Leia back into the film.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Those scenes added to the richness of her performance, and I'm so happy she accomplished so many things on screen for TLJ that weren't broached in TFA. I loved her at the command console during battle as well - barking orders at Ackbar.

11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I do love this photo:

[​IMG]

12. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Carrying the weight of the galaxy on her shoulders.

13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Wrong! What really happened:

[​IMG]

14. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    Happy Birthday, Princess. :leia:

No one is ever really gone.

15. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I like to believe she has turned 62 in the next world where she is still currently acting with her mother and all of the other stars who have slipped beyond the rim.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  16. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
  17. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015

Two years without Carrie. :leia: @};-

[​IMG]

Rest in peace, Princess.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    We need someone like Carrie more than ever in these fraught times. Someone who stands up to would be fascists, and makes us laugh at the same time.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm moving this here to respond without derailing further. Although the discussion started over a discussion of the new heroes carrying on the OT3's legacies after IX, this discussion is really just specifically about the already-released films.

I agree that he is barely a character in TFA. I saw him as Wedge with more lines, and a deeper connection to a legacy character. That doesn't negate what we learned about him in that movie, namely that he deeply admired Leia. You were not very long ago making that point. So there was, in fact, more to him than simply cool moves in an X-Wing. They barely speak in TFA but their mutual admiration is made abundantly clear in the circumstances. Leia trusts him with the most important mission for the Resistance and for her personally. Poe follows her to the end of the galaxy and beyond, speaking of her only in glowing admiration.

Poe absolutely messed up when he got captured in TFA. That doesn't need quotes. He got himself caught by shooting in an unwinnable situation. He exposed himself for nothing. I've seen the character criticized many times for being so deeply stupid in that moment.

I don't see an emotional connection between them in TLJ. I've said why. They behave like people that barely tolerate each other but have to work together. You entirely dismiss your commanding officer's orders when you have no respect for them. Poe even returned from that mission mansplaining to Leia the correct way to attack someone. That was in the context of a lot of dead bodies that Leia was personally responsible for. Poe should have seen himself as responsible as well.

On Leia's part, her characterization toward Poe just isn't there at all to me. She's angry and soap opera slaps him. She chides him. She dresses him down. She demotes him. She doesn't respect what he did. Then she forgives him and follows him right after he got a bunch more people killed for nothing on Crait. It's nonsensical. But bottom line is, no emotional connection between them was conveyed. RJ was checking boxes on stuff that needed to happen, and he skipped all the emotion.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  20. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I’m not continuing this debate with you.

I respect that you saw things differently. What we took away from the movie is so wildly different that I don’t think it will lead to fruitful discussion and I kinda don’t have the energy for it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    DarthHass and AhsokaSolo like this.
  21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Taking it to the right thread.

You don't die instantly in space because you suffocate. You die instantly (or almost instantly, if you wanna play with words) because you lose your consciousness after a few seconds, you freeze, and the pressure of space makes your internal organs fail if you try to hold your breath, for example. So yeah, if you want me to rephrase because you adore being literal, then I can rephrase it to "effectively instantly". The point is that Leia could not have kept her consciousness and survive in outer space unless she was Force sensitive, as CLEARLY shown in the film, when she opens her eyes. She should have passed out, to say the least.

It is 100% her Force sensitivity, because no one else can provide another explanation. So my sentence is correct. ;););););)

PS. For future reference, nothing is ever instant. Nothing. So if one uses the word "instantly" in any context in any conversation, they are using it forever wrong, in the literal sense of the word. We can either agree that it means "effectively instantly" and "within a very short amount of time", or we would have to just render the word objectively invalid, and never use it for anything at all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, I'm fully aware that 'instantly' is short hand for 'almost instantaneously'. Typically people don't use the word 'instantly' for something that takes over a minute, and I don't think I'm being overly pedantic in stating that. Since Leia could possibility only be out in space within that window, I think it's incredibly unclear if it was her force-sensitively that allowed her to survive beyond pushing her and bringing her to semi-consciousness. To be clear I'm talking about her force-sensitivity not preserving her body in space.

Also, I'm not denying that this is merely my interpretation. In order for it to be 100% wrong you have to 100% disprove it, which you haven't done. I view her as being unconscious, and then momentarily being brought to semi-consciousness by the Force.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Thank you.

Also, agreed. If Leia was already unconscious she would not then regain consciousness in the vacuum of space. I've always interpreted that scene as her being in deep concentration.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  24. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    A part of me wishes that it was Leia that sacrificed herself instead of Holdo. Maybe, after her space flight, she learns that he has just hours or days to live.

25. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Is that how fans would want to see Carrie exit the Saga though? Not to mention the way they conclude the Leia storyline might not be best suited for kamikaze fashion. I admit, Carrie would probably find it funny, but fans would be crushed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.