main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Carrie Fisher live in SF on Fri Jan 14!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by LeiaAsylum, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    Hi all,

I just picked up a copy of the Guardian (free paper) and the ad for "A Clean Well-Lighted Place for Books" had a calendar of events. On Friday, Jan. 14, at 7 pm, their guest author will be Carrie Fisher!! The ad doesn't specify, but it seems like she will be reading from the book and maybe also signing books! I know some of you have been able to meet her, but I never have, and being the rabid Leia fan that I am, I am totally psyched!!!

The bookstore is located at Opera Plaza on 601 Van Ness, SF, 94102. Tel 415-441-6670. their website is www.bookstore.com or you can email info at bookstore dot com (remove spaces, etc) for more info. Their website says that if you can't make it you can reserve an autographed copy of the book and pick it up later, just call them for info.

Oh, and the book info is (from their website):
    Friday, January 14 at 7 pm
    Carrie Fisher
    The Best Awful, now in paperback, is the long-awaited sequel to Postcards from the Edge. With characteristic flair, celebrated actress and writer Carrie Fisher offers an excruciatingly funny novel about the craziness of Hollywood and the realities of psychotic breakdowns.

Anyone else want to go??? I'll be there!! :) :) :)

2. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Meeting Carrie Fisher, the lady who brought one of the best female characters to life on the screen (Princess Leia of course) would be really cool! I'd like to go.

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I wonder if she will be signing anything other than her book.

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'd like to go to. I wouldn't mind seeing Carrie for the THIRD time! :) I doubt she'll sign other items, but maybe she'll sign something if you buy the book, too. Anne, you HAVE to wear your "Alderaan" sweatshirt! Actually, that store is where I got Ethan Hawke's autograph on my "Before Sunrise" laserdisc. He was plugging his book, which I didn't buy, but he signed it anyway, so who knows? I was also thinking of watching "Elektra" earlier that day too. Anyone else?

5. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Actually could I'd like to check out House of Flying Daggers with a friend of mine. Could you hook it up with some tix Matt? You know I'll get you back. :)

6. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    I assumed she would be signing the book only, so I planned to buy a copy there, but who knows? If you had something else, she might be willing! She seems like she's a cool person in real life.

I have to work until 5, so unfortunately can't make a movie :(

7. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    To repeat the original info on this post:
    Where: A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books
    601 Van Ness Ave
    415-441-6670
    Fri. Jan 14 7pm

And a link to A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books web-site:
    http://www.bookstore.com/events.html

The Book's synopsis:
    http://www.booksite.com/texis/scripts/oop/click_ord/showdetail.html?sid=3471&isbn=0743269306&music=&buyable=0&assoc_id=

**Someone posted a while ago, where are all the SW celebrities if we're in the heart of Lucasland, well there you go! ;)

8. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    I was planning to head over there right after work, about 5 p.m. What time are others going to get there? Is a big line a possibility?

9. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'll probably swing by around 5 and check the geek count. ;)

10. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    FYI - Carrie will be on the Tony Danza Show today at 3pm on ABC 7 talking about said book and hopefully more!...

**I'm taping the segment for those of you who can't see it live.

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I can go if I can get directions from the BART station, Civic Center BART.

I get off work at 4 p.m. and can head straight over.

12. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    Lady Sam Anne,
    From Civic Center BART, take the Muni Underground to Van Ness St. Exit on the Van Ness/Market ST. on the Left Side. Save your transfer and use it to take the #49 Bus on the Left of the Rite-Aide. It goes all the way up Van Ness. For more info call Muni: 415-673-6864
    And also call Clean Well Lighted Place for the cross-street and nearest bus stop.

13. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    This is sort of on topic regarding watching "Elektra" before the Carrie Event.

Those you don't have school or work in the day, my brother and I were planning to check out the movie at Century 20 near Daly City BART before driving downtown. The 2 show times that we could make (it's 1hr./37min. long) are either:
    12:30 or 2:15.

http://www.fandango.com/movie_page.asp?a=a&mv=86153&distance=15&refreshdate=1/14/2005

**On a personal note, seeing the film at this theater does have special meaning for me. It was 2 years ago on Feb 14, that I did I see the movie "DareDevil" with Chanel and the old other club. It's also where I met Hellie for the first time. And afterwards we all ate at Fudruckers...

14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Thanks for the info! I didn't realize it would be so complicated!

15. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    According to MapQuest, it's .67 of a mile from BART, but this doesn't take into account the incline, if any! :)

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I thought I vaguely remembered walking to the Opera House from BART, it's not that far.

But, I had my flu shot today 'cause the employee health nurse called me and let me know she had more vaccine, so I decided to get it done before she ran out again.

Anyhow, now I feel sick, so I won't be able to make it after all!

17. LeiaAsylum

Jul 9, 2003
    Had a GREAT time, Carrie Fisher is funny and charming in person, just like I thought she'd be! Oh, and there was a special bonus "sighting" ... but that's another topic ;)

18. AnasianSkywalker

Sep 2, 2003
    While wearing my silk Aloha Imperial shirt with wanted pictures of all the Rebels, including Leia, I totally geeked out :-B and all I could say to Carrie was: "I waited SIIIIIX hours in line to get your autograph at Celebration 2! and "You're on my shirt!". She said she never saw my shirt before. I was so excited I did not even pose to look at Robert as he was taking pics.

Overall, this was waaay more intimate than any Con. She actually "looked" at me, instead of rolling her eyes at me at C-2 while I was in full ANH Luke gear. And after giving a reading of the chapter "Bad Math" from her book, she really had a cool Q & A...more about that later.

And after the event where we saw George giving her a ride, well what can I say but - what a way to end a night!!! It was all we could talk about at Chevy's soontherafter... =D=
    **(see " The Flanneled One" thread)

19. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    Hello.
    I saw this on MSNBC and I thought everyone would like to see:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7047008/
    It is the 2nd story.

Then, you will understand why I posted it here.

Man, I thought about asking that question.

Oh well. It will interesting to know what Lucas thinks if it is published.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.