main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Carrie Fisher on signing autographs

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-DeathStick, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-DeathStick

Darth-DeathStick Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    Something I found in my showprep:

Like many stars of yesteryear, Carrie Fisher has turned to lucrative autograph shows to make some extra cash. But Fisher, best known as Princess Leia in "Star Wars," is perhaps more self-aware than many of the showbiz fossils who sell their signatures at the shows. "In a way, by accepting money for my signature, I have become a whore," Fisher writes in Details. "I have prostituted a token, a souvenir, and a gesture of my good will, and seen from an awfully odd angle, couldn't 'lovemaking' also be regarded as such a gesture? At least with an autograph you get a picture." (PageSix)

I notice alot of Star Wars characters resorting to selling autographs. Is this because GL bilks them out of all royalties from merchandise and won't let them appear as their characters anywhere without LucasFilm being paid? Or does he allow it at all? You'de figure being 'Princess Leia', you wouldn't ever have to worry about money again.

2. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I've always enjoyed her... Insights on things. They make some pretty good coin from selling autographs and you have to remember that Mark and Carrie aren't exactly burning up the woods with offers these days like Harrison. I don't what kind of royalty checks they get but, yeah, GL is the one that's making the high majority of that money. See ya in the autograph line in about 10 years there HC :D

3. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yeah, her attitude is great. You can't even classify it really. Mark hasn't really done anything significan't acting-wise in years. The last thing I can remember him doing on screen is a knock-off Star Wars character in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Which was pretty funny, really. He does a lot of voice acting. Carrie has had a bit more acting since, but the last few years, she's played characters that mock herself. I recently saw her in an episode of Smallville. She looked bad. Colligen implants, a lot of make up...it wasn't pretty, unfortunately. Her personality has always been top-notch though. Taking advantage of autograph signings is a cool, quick way to make money, so if you already are mocking yourself, then why not?

4. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I don't think she should consider it "prostituting" if she's signing autographs.

It's bad enough she might not be on the level of Harrison Ford but she shouldn't knock herself down for it. I'm all for having a sense of humor in life and even about yourself but there is a line. You have to make $$$ in life and if autographs or StarWars conventions is her way of doing so then that is that.

I wonder if it's considered "prostituting" when all these big actors are doing late night shows or Regis & Kelly promoting their next movie (no matter how good or bad it is)

That said...I am a fan of hers (& the rest of the OT & PT cast for that matter)

I think having any of their autographs would be pretty cool.

5. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    I joined Dave Prowse's website. Got an autograph which was cool.It was signed the usual "Dave Prowse is Darth Vader. I sent off for my second one a couple of weeks back and received it on Monday. There was a hand written note by him thanking me for my order and on the autograph he had put my name. Hadn't asked him to. Made my day that Darth Vader (so to speak) addressed me personally. Really pleased with that. :)

Back to the thread. The situation from the Star Wars actors is actually benefitting us now, such as the above, and if they take time to realise you are now their customers, and treat you like the above example, it makes it worth while and they will continue to make money, even if Lucas frezzes them out.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Carrie Fisher doesn't need the money. She still works on scripts in Hollywood as a "script doctor". I can't speak for the lesser actors of the series. I doubt Mark Hamill is broke either.

7. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I hate to burst your bubble, but personalized autographs dramatically bring the value of the autographed item down. I can totally understand it's value to you for personal reasons though. I'm not much of a collecter myself, but if that was your intention, you do way better with a generic autograph.

8. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Oh definately, I agree. But it's different from the others that I have and it was a nice surprise.

9. dont_be_a_vaderhater

dont_be_a_vaderhater Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Celebrities who are loaded (and are still working too) hit rock- bottom
    all the time.... It's all how it's spent and/or invested.
    You can blow $50,000,000 as easy as $50.00!

10. Ani_Lover

Ani_Lover Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2005
    My son has two Carrie Fisher autographs. A slave Leia one from Celebration ll, and a regular ANH one. He cherishes them both. He has been a Carrie/Leia fan all his life (almost 16 years!) and has a leia 12 inch doll collection, regular figures, life-size stand up, anything Leia, he has it!

I think what Carrie does is a good thing. Helps the fans to connect with her.
    Unlike Harrison, who thinks he's too good to associate with Star Wars. (Don't get me wrong. I still love the guy.)

11. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    This comment comes from the perspective of a sports attorney who used to negotiate contracts between trading card companies and players for autographs.

There are many different ways that one can approach the selling of autographs.

First is the "Pete Rose" method. That is to whore out your autograph and cash in as much as you can. Ones who do this usually have their head down at the autograph table and work on signing their name as fast as possible. The quicker they sign the autograph, the more money they make.

The second is the fan friendly approach. Where the person who gives the autograph takes the time to actually say "hello" or even to personalize the autograph.

If you are collecting autographs for the intention of reselling them for a profit, then the person who takes the time to personalize the autograph lowers the resale value. (which is why several people always personalize autographs so that they are valued by friends and not resold to the highest bidder.)

The other way in which autographs are sold is outside of a convention. The star sits in a room filled with pictures, merchandise etc. and just goes from item to item autographing them. This is obviously the most impersonal and is done only to make a collectable item.

I don't know if this helps with the question of why Carrie Fisher thinks she is prostituting herself by selling autographs. There could be other issues involved, such as she got a very high price because she was the last of the original three stars to agree to a deal.

For the record, with all this experience, I don't collect autographs.

12. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think that's just Carrie Fisher making a joke. She has a self-depreciating sense of humor.

I agree - it's nice of Carrie.
    (I think Harrison's just bitter about the lack of character development/death of Han Solo in RotJ. It's too bad.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.