main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Carrie Fisher's voice changed over the course of the saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I paid extra attention to carrie fisher in a recent rewatch of the six films after her tragic passing.

I noticed her voice seems to change throughout the movies.

Obviously her British accent in ANH was from her being in England at the time and Peter Cushing rubbing off on her.

But her American accent in ANH and ESB sound different. She seems to sound more "commanding" in ESB.

In ROTJ she sounds different once more, she seems to have a "raspier" voice particularly on Endor.

Then in TFA her voice changed again because she obviously aged.

This isn't meant to be demeaning to Carrie in any way, I am simple curious as to what changed her voice or if it was intentional for her character or something along those lines.

To me it gives the impression that Leia has evolved over the films. Did you guys notice these things changing in her voice too?

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    She was only 19 when she filmed the original, so we shouldn't be surprised that her voice matured after that. I don't doubt that her cigarette smoking added some raspiness to her throat as she aged. But whatever the cause, it worked for Leia's voice to grow more mature and commanding as she grew older and more experienced.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    she was doing a lot smoking, drinking and drugs because of her mental condition. that's also why she aged so fast.

she struggled with bi-polar disorder her whole life and tried to self medicate in the beginning. no disrespect because i know what it's like somewhat.
    i don't suffer from bi-polar disorder but depression and other mental illnesses actually get relieved somewhat if you do these things.

nowadays we know that medication and other things to help it. back then people didn't talk about mental illness and considered it taboo.

carrie helped change that because she told her story to everyone and God bless her for that. that's why she really is a hero, not because of some space movies. mental health is still not regarded or treated properly, at least in america, yet. unfortunately there is still no miracle cure for mental problems like, depression, bi-polar, anxiety, ocd, ect.

ATMachine and Anticonformity like this.