main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cartoon better than the movie(s)????

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by El Tom the Jedi of Love, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Tom the Jedi of Love

El Tom the Jedi of Love Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 1999
    Sorry if this has been done a hundred times all ready, but I must ask because I think about it everytime a new chapter comes out. How many of you think these Clone War cartoons are better than the prequel movies? I myself have enjoyed them more. I have definitely enjoyed them more than Episode 2. I liked Episode 1 a lot so I'm not sure if I like the cartoons more than that, but they are definitely better than 2. To me the cartoon has been closer to what I had hoped to see in the prequels. I'm I alone in thinking this or are there others out there?

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I wouldn't say they are better than the movies, but they are still great. I love them to death, mainly because I love all Clone Wars material. I love Clone Troopers, I love ARCs, I love Jedi, I love Clone Wars!!!!

3. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I agree with Gruff.

The cartoons were wonderful - exceeded all my expectations. But they can't compare to the films, and they shouldn't. They are meant to complement the films.

4. shredder133

shredder133 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2004
    I also loved this cartoon series, but part of the reason was because their pace was completely different than that of the movies. These just added lots of action and some cool characters (in a very cool way), but the movies are all about the story. Hopefully there will be a boatload of action in Episode 3, even more than Episode 2. Anyways, Clone Wars was a huge success in my opinion and it was a great addition.

5. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Personally I loved them both. The more Star Wars, the better for me.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Same with me, I like'em them both. The cartoon was made to complement the movies, to an extent, I kinda of liked the cartoon series better than the prequels, especially Episode 2.

7. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    They're just fun little side adventures to the movies. That's how I see them. No one dies in the cartoon, so it can't be taken seriously.

8. Drath

Drath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 1998
    I like them more than prequels, but not more than the originals.

9. Kasai

Kasai Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    Ditto. They are much better than the prequels (especially the first one) but not the original triology.

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    They are better than Ep I, but I think that they are equil to Ep II

11. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The lightsaber duel between Anakin and Ventress was better than the AOTC and ANH fights, but other than that they can't touch the films.

12. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    If anything I think the Clone Wars Cartoon patches up or even improve episode II by a lone shot. but to say that there better...... Noo there not better, but there wonderfully made.

13. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Do I think that they're better than the movies? No. But do I hold them in the same regard and esteem as the movies, and will I always watch "Clone Wars" between AOTC & Episode III whenever I do a Saga Marathon? Hell yes. :)

14. El Tom the Jedi of Love

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm happy to see that there a few people out there that are like me and like the cartoons more. The cartoons are more of what I expected the movies to be. Of course the cartoons can get away with a lot because the movies already established a storyline, but I also thought that the prequels would be about the clone wars. I always imagined the clone wars being the back drop for the story in the prequels(like the rebellion is in the originals) and creating great opportunities for Anakin and Obi-Wan to play out their history. The cartoons can also get away with some outrageous action, like Mace Windu being able to destroy about 500 battle droids at once and one huge flying fortress all in about 2 minutes (makes me wonder why so many Jedi were powerless against Greivous a few episodes later). Yes, it is crazy action, but it is enjoyable to watch. I love em. They are definitely better than episode 2 (in my mind episode 2 was the biggest let down, it puzzles me why so many regard it as one of the best). The cartoons illustrate almost everything better than episode 2 did.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    While I enjoy the cartoons, and think they're a nice supplement to the films, they aren't better than the films themselves. It's basically all action, and little plot. That's fine for 3 minute cartoons, but I'm glad the prequels weren't all like that.

16. jed-eye

jed-eye Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    Well, i hate the prequels so I'm unable to give an unbiased opinion, but i do think that the Cartoon was executed better that Eps I & II. How many cool stuff have we seen in the animated series that we can only dream of seeing in a live action movie? Lightsabers under water! A lone Jedi Master opening a can of whoop-ass to an entire droid army! Raindrops hiting the blades of lightsabers! The animated series is more stylelized that the prequels. And i like it.

17. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I wouldnt expect most films to rival the action sequenses of a cartoon (although Neo VS Smith's succeeds) for it would be costly. Its easier to convey whatever the eye desires through animation. But I do believe the direction of the Cartoon, its characters, its choice of action sequences, and substance, is better than the prequels by far. They should be helping Lucas direct this last film.

In AOTC, a bored and infinitely dry Portman delivers the infamous fish-cold line about whos trying to kill her, ignoring Yoda who was happy to see her alive. It is the nicest thing he has said in the entire saga. Weather it be her dry uninterested in STARWARS acting, bad editing, or bluescreen acting, it comes off rude to Yoda. Fast forward to the CLONEWARS and you have a better devoloped character in Padme with better diolog. Episode 16, she shows concern for the Jedi Master and it is cute that she thinks he may need her help. Because it is innocent. Typho lets her know that Yoda is very capable of getting down on his own, but like her daughter, she goes out anyway. Had this been live-action with Portman, the innocence would have been lost in stiff delivery and once again she would have been displayed as a jerk. Undermining Yoda's abilities and implying that he NEEDS her help. Better directed.

So, to the question the topic is asking. Yes.

18. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    Are the cartoons better than the movies? No

Are the cartoons in the same ballpark as the movies? No

19. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    I think that they are about equal. The story isn't as in depth, but the action is much better.

I do say I'd rather WATCH the cartoons though, just because I dislike the prequels.

20. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I wouldn't say I prefer them over the movies by any means. They have been good fun to watch though.

I really like Leonard_Shelby's idea of watching them between Episode II and III when the great saga home theater marathon is finally possible.

21. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    I enjoyed the cartoons for what they were: Star Wars cartoons. Comparing with the films is easy though: they don't hold a candle. It's just mindless action without any serious character-development, with totally over-the-top actionsequences. I despise Kit's Force bubble (it's ridiculous beyond imagination - not to mention the ridiculous fishmonsters that chew metal and push gigantic machines into abysses). Durge was laughable in chapter 9, and Mace Windu's actions in chapter 12 & 13 are so hilarious it isn't even funny anymore. It totally defies all laws of logic - why didn't the Jedi just force-pull all the bolts out of Grievous?

In the films, the Jedi aren't these over-the-top supermen, but cunning warriors that aren't totally unstoppable (proof: the Jedi-slaughter in the Arena, and Obi having a hard time with Jango, whom he didn't just Force-smack against Tipoca City until he was unconscious enough to transport).

I understand though why the cartoons were exaggerated, and therefore I did like watching them. But the prime reason why I will rewatch the SW films, and not the cartoons, is because in the films (prequels + OT) there's an actual storyline that progresses (more so in the prequels), with interesting character-interaction (impossible to expect from three-minute long chapters, but that's how it is). The cartoons are just filler: Obi-Wan destroyed some droids on Muunilist, Kit Fisto destroyed some droids on Mon Calamari, Mace destroyed some droids on Dantooine, Yoda & Padme destroyed some droids on Illum. The only thing that could be described as a story-element was Anakin bordering on the Dark Side to fight Assaj, but we already got a glimpse of that in AOTC, and will get lots of that in EP3.

Excellent actionfodder, but not comparable with the films, not in a long shot. IMO.

I always imagined the clone wars being the back drop for the story in the prequels(like the rebellion is in the originals) and creating great opportunities for Anakin and Obi-Wan to play out their history.

If that were the case, the PT would have been the OT-rehash to me. I like how the prequels portray a slow descent into darkness, and not an actionfest from the get-go.

In AOTC, a bored and infinitely dry Portman delivers the infamous fish-cold line about whos trying to kill her, ignoring Yoda who was happy to see her alive.

Yeah, she should have hugged him and said "thank you little fella" while a tear rolled out of her eyes. Meh, her reaction (or lack thereof) in AOTC never bothered me. I thought that clone wars episode were she wanted to help Yoda was silly. Liked the Yoda-line "call you I will when assistance I require" though :).

22. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    "It's just mindless action without any serious character-development"

*Cough*

23. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    *Gives Neobaggins a cough drop*

I'd bet the farm that if we actually got the cartoons as the movies, then you guys could find all sorts of things to complain about.
    An easy target would be the superman status of Mace Windu and the Jedi.
    Jedi vs 'lame droids that aren't alive' would still be an issue.
    Lack of character developement would easily be an issue with all except Anakin. Notice it or not, there was character developement and lot's of it in the PT thus far. In CW only Anakin goes through a significant change, or Hell, any change.
    Padme having extremely little interaction with Anakin would be an issue.
    I could go on and on and on.
    The cartoons work simply because of all the groundwork laid in the movies themselves. How many of you can't see that does suprise me a bit. Much like how people still can't see why we need TPM...
    People will continue to say things were unneccessary and wasted until it's something they wanted to see: Vader walking around aimlessly killing Jedi while stormtroopers follow behind blaring the Imperial March on a portable stereo. Now, I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it's not that far from the truth. People were expecting that, and until they get to see that (or a movie or series just featuring the clone wars for example) all the groundwork and set up is pointless and wasted.
    That's certainly what it's striking me as anyway.

24. El Tom the Jedi of Love

Jul 16, 1999
    I do agree that one reason that the cartoons work is because of the story that the Prequels already begun and yes I do believe that the Jedi or too powerful in them. It was fun to watch as a cartoon, but easy to find fault with (after seeing what we have seen Jedi do Greivous should not be a problem at all, even star destroyers shouldn't be that big of a problem). Still I do believe that there is a story and a good one in the cartoons. This story revolves around Anakin and Obi-Wan for the most part and Anakins fall. I believed their interaction with one another so much more in the cartoons. I like that the fact the emperor is getting the dark side to come out of Anaking too (through the use of his agents Dooku and Ventress) and its not just a bunch of sandmen. Still it isn't perfect and I probably would find fault in it if it were a movie, but I think that the cartoon serves as a great rough draft or backbone to what the prequels should have been like. I would add more interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan (and for crying out loud could somebody please show the great friendship that is suppose to exist between them), more romance between Anakin and Padme, less random fights and more dark side seducing by the emperor. Sorry it seems that I have gotten off topic. Let me summarize by saying that the cartoons (with some added elements) are better than episode 2.

25. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    for crying out loud could somebody please show the great friendship that is suppose to exist between them

Anakin called him more than once a "father". Furthermore, he pulled himself together to save Obi's life when Dooku was about to strike him down - that has to count for something, right? Obi was genuinely concerned that something might have happened to him when he couldn't trace him on Naboo. Not exactly the same as big hugs and tears (how appropriate for Jedi), but to me it showed they did consider themselves friends, though their relationship was straining due to Anakin maturing. I'm sure we'll see more of it in EP3 - the PT are still work in progress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.