main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Casting Call for FAN Book Reviewers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AnakinsGirl, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    The2ndQuest and I have decided it would be a superfun idea if the fans got involved in the same type of operation that TF.N's "pro" book reviewers have going on.

Each review gets about 3 people to review it, and we update once every couple months. The point is, we want some quality book reviews that newbies to the forum can see, written by their fellow users and fans. I've browsed the Book Reviews forum and for the most part, many of you have given "It's good. I like the fight scenes." And that's it. And that sucks.

So, for those of you who can form a coherent sentence, who are pretty avid readers of the books, and who want to contribute to and empower our forum fan community, this is the place for you!!! Right now, we are looking for about 8 people: we want a few regulars so that reviews can stay consistent, but we want to rotate our semi-regulars every month or update. That way, we can get a wide variety going and give everyone a chance to participate.

For our first set of reviews, I'd like to stick to the NJO and then expand because it is recent and there are alot of newbies who want to familiarize themselves with it. However, to apply you don't have to review a NJO book.

What we are looking for are people with passion, who can articulate well and who are very opinionated about their Star Wars Universe! You must PM me to apply, but you can post questions here. Please, do not post you apps here.

To apply:

Answer the following in a PM to me:
    * What is you favorite Star Wars book and why?

* Who is your favorite Star Wars character and why?

* What is your favorite aspect of the Universe--and you must choose one of these options:

[]Action (battle scenes, etc)
    []Romance
    []Character Development
    []Politics/Military

* And please, write a good-quality review of either your favorite book or one that you most recently read; we only need a sample of your writing style so it doesn't need to be excessively long. Just write the pros/cons, why this novel exemplifies or undermines your selected favorite aspect of the Universe, etc.

-Applications will be accepted from now into late October, so you have PLENTY of time. If we decide not to accept you, please don't take it personally. I will be sending out automated decline PMs to all of you who may be declined, and please don't PM me back and flame me for not accepting you. If you do, I will take it up with the mods. And we all shake with fear at the mods. *shakes fist*.

SO: Any questions, comments, or concerns??? Please, post them here! And send in your application today!!!

<3

2. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    Up, please????

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    TF.N's "pro" book reviewers

*snort*

4. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Excellent. I don't know how many times I've read those reviews and thought to myself, 'That was crap.' :p

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, those 'pros' who loved the Jedi Apprentice series, but hated the Lando Calrissian trilogy.

Yeah, real 'pros.'

As in 'professional, uh, wrong being people.'

:p

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, I like to think I've written a few good ones in my day. Good, Bad, and Ugly pigeonhole notwithstanding.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Excellence should get the job by default.

8. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I'm sure you have, Coop. :) *Pats head*

9. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    Actually, hasn't Excellence written some really good reviews in the review forum? I was spying on various users a while back to consider candidates...I'm quite sure his name came up. I'll have to approach him.

And I can't tell you all how many times I read those reviews at TF.Nand thought, "man I wish I could review that book, too"! Which is why I started this project.

10. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    In all seriousness, Excellence would be an excellent (no pun intended) candidate for such an endeavor. He just needs to be a bit less cryptic in his writing, although he only does that for our benefit anyhow.

Quick question, because I would be interested in doing this, but what sort of committment is this? Would I be expected to buy and review new books, or would reviews for older ones be done as well? Also, does the annoying Good/Bad/Ugly setup have to be stuck with?

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Only problem is, I wouldn't be flamboyant or turbolaser my dislikes. I'd have to be objective and see the material from all sides.

"Only problem," being the key word. Sigh . . .

:D

Whaddya mean, less cryptic? I've only ever quoted Doctor Who or Star Wars trivia; sometimes Sauron's Mouth, I liked his smug impudence and Draculan accent in LOTR 3. The true Jedi fan, Forceful with the material, conversant in their Star Wars lore, should read my idyosyncracies with perverse ease.

I'd rather see the comics reviewed by TPB. I really needed information before I bought a couple score of them, rather than pester you Columnis back then.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    See, fully ninety percent of the people in this forum have no idea what you just said in that paragraph.

Seriously, this guy would indeed be an excellent reviewer for this project. Intelligence and wit.

13. Grand_Admiral_Gotti

Grand_Admiral_Gotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005
    [[/quote]

See, fully ninety percent of the people in this forum have no idea what you just said in that paragraph.

Seriously, this guy would indeed be an excellent reviewer for this project. Intelligence and wit. [/quote]

LMFAO [face_laugh] I scrolled down to post something along the lines of "Please stop using the "I read my SAT VOCAB book way way way too much" type of LINGO and explain that again please" and then saw your post lol...Yes Excellence would make a superb reviewer..seeing how his posts , at times, make me feel like i am so young and ignorant that i shoudl crawl back up in my mothers womb awaiting a later ERA in which my feeble little mind may be able to co-exist with such characters that amke my typing and commenting skills seem like that of a pre-k student. Now with tha being said.....I am puting these star wars books down and going to read my dictionary.

That combined with my "word of the day" toilet paper and I'll have Excellence Knicked In No time!!!!

14. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    One quick question: You guys are kidding when you say he's hard to decode, right?

15. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    okay, details: reviews will be just about once a month. We'll have a thread whose title will change depending on what book we're reviewing, and the mods will keep it relatively free of clutter as far as people not going of on long random tangents. We will follow a similar format such as "The good, the bad, and the ugly" but I don't want to use these exact terms if I can think of something better.

I'm looking for some diversity; so far all of my applicants share my interest in character development. If you want the reviews to target your interests, become a reviewer or persuade others to become so!!!

16. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Can you give us an update whenever possible of who exactly is on the team?

17. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Dinner_Squadron posted on 9/16/05 2:45pm
    One quick question: You guys are kidding when you say he's hard to decode, right? [hr][/blockquote]

Pretty much. I don't have any trouble understanding Ex, but others apparently do. ;)

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Claim they do. It's the new forum trend, translational requests. Even now they are gathering, like the gathering that pack of trees had in Two Towers just outside a game's fog of war, before I can opine the mystery of Outbound was the ship corridors you only saw of Outbound. Yep, like any other ship corridor. Bullyak's paramour they won't.

It all comes down to Joiner King. They've fed on junk food so long that a bit of quality causes digestive issues. In confusion, and aware Aust is giving hollywood problems, they attempt distraction from Joiner King's assault of superficiality while they shamelessly cuddle their Jedi Trial hardcovers, the way Bart's perusal of Burns' power plant spycams caught Homer's secret shame of flower eating.

Were I to dare mention Skywalker's Welk fight was Star Wars' best written combat through, say, a Sadow metaphor they'd be pumping experience points into constitution to handle the spin when a wisdom modifier would suffice better.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ex isn't that bad, you just have to take extra time reading to understand.

But I do agree, Ex, Joiner King challenged us, much akin to Stovers novels, in my opinion, though Denning outdoes even him in TJK.

And I was not hugging my copy of Jedi Trial so much as strangling it, actually.

Two torpedoes = big flagship boom!!

An overused analog, more so than those Sadows panties you covet....

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I don't covet Sadow panties . . . But Leto liked the Ugnaught nappies. :oops:

21. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm actually going to go for this, beleive it or not.

22. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    I'll post a list of team members so far. But we are still looking for some diversity. OTherwise, you'll all be stuck hearing one-sided reviews.

and we will not feel sorry for you. [face_devil]

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm an Aussie, and I did a unit on reviewing in creative writing. does that count? *is hopeful*

24. AnakinsGirl

Nov 2, 2001
    Heck yes; send in your application!

Okay, so far here's what we have:

Regulars:
    Gladiuus
    Rogue 1/2
    Boba Kareu
    AnakinsGirl

Semi-regulars:
    Big Bad Jedi Man
    GA Ewok

We have two more openings for semi regulars. Unfortunately, I am satisfied with the amount of regulars that we have on board so we are not accepting any more regulars.
    Semi regulars are our alternates. We will have the usual 4 be reviewing every month, but each month we will feature a new S-R. Which means that as a S-R, you will get to review once every 3 or 4 months. And don't worry; hopefully we can keep the reviews going forever and ever, so even the S-R's will get alot of opportunities to show their stuff.

ALSO:
    the system for reviews-
    the Team will send me Their reviews via PM. I'll arrange them, post them, and our lovely mod will change the subject of the thread for us so everyone knows what book we are on. As for the format ("the good, the bad, the ugly" type-concept) I have no clue. Please post your suggestions here. I want something a little more clever than TF.N's and more interesting than "pros vs cons".

Any suggestions would be great. Otherwise, we'll all be stuck with MY idea which will probably suck. So get crackin'!

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Hah! I got it! Doctor Who and Star Wars triva - check. Christopher Lee - check. The true Star Wars fan - check. [face_dancing][:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.