main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Casting Call for NPCs

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Tremaniac, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I've been thinking about this, and I've done this several times in Cyberpunk. Now I'm wondering if anyones done it with StarWars? Put an actor to one of those NPCs that eventually turn up to keep things interesting in games.

High Inquisitor Tremayne - played by Aidan Gillen
    Played Rathbone in Shanghai Knights, and managed to look cool wearing a cape (very rare). Also was a decent sword fighter, which means no problem picturing him with a lightsaber. Plus, he's pale and from the U.K., two things that work for a StarWars villain.

Anyone else have anything? I'm currently keeping an eye open for a Mara Jade fit, as well as trying to picture a Talon Karrde. I have a couple of ideas for director Isard, but I can't pinpoint her age to choose the proper actress.

2. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Shannon Baska is a good Mara Jade in my opinion. Shes even posed in pictures as Mara Jade, very beautiful woman.

Ive always looked at Gary Sinise(sp?) as a good Talon Karrde. Especially from his roll as Lt Dan on Forrest Gump, the long hair, and the facial hair.

[image=http://www.sergioleone.net/dm-40.jpg]

[image=http://www.xwpilots.de/Komponenten/karrde_union1.gif]

3. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    More to the point, Shannon Baksa McRandle is the ?official? Mara Jade.

One SW character I think might be real tough to cast is Jaina, because she is so tiny, only a hair over 4'10" tall.

As far as Karrde goes, Tim Zahn himself has been the official Talon Karrde. all of the photos of Mara with Karrde have Zahn himself as the information broker. Mike Stackpole has also posed for official pics of his character, Corran Horn.

4. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    Tremayne.... have always imagined Jeremy Irons
    Karrde.... I like the Gary Sinise idea
    Palleon... Ian Mckellan

and in my old old campaign, we had an NPC gambler named Bub Wun that was a cross between Lando and Mr. T... in the end we decided that he should be played by Ving Rahmes

5. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I was actually going for younger guys. I get the impression that Tremayne isn't that old, possibly mid to late 30s.
    I do like Gary Sinise as Karrde. It is a casting call after all, and while I can relate to an author fantasizing about the role he'd play in the galactic playground that is StarWars, personally I'm thinking it should be an actual actor.
    I've also seen the girl who was officially dubbed Mara Jade, but I was thinking someone who looks a little more athletic and a lot less model like. I understand Jade was a looker, but she's a killer, first and foremost. A friend suggested the wrestler Lita, and I agree it should be someone along those lines, though I don't know if she's got what it takes.

6. DexRicon

DexRicon Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2003
    "One SW character I think might be real tough to cast is Jaina, because she is so tiny, only a hair over 4'10" tall."

That's where you take a little bit of poetic license. Rachel Leigh Cook would be good as Jaina. She's small but has a fire in her eyes. Although I do have to admit it would be hard to see her in the cockpit of an X-Wing.

Anakin Solo should be played by the kid who played Anakin in TPM, provided he got a few acting lessons.

As for Mara Jade, it needs to be someone with a bit of a gravely voice, sort of like Kate Mulgrew's only sexier. Physically, she needs to be physically strong looking but still very agile. If Christina Ricci were to tone up a bit, I think she could do it.

Gary Sinise would be excellent as Talon Karrde. He brings a level of innate intelligence to whatever role he has.

Thrawn is a bit of a toughie, since there needs to be someone with a cold smoothness to their voice, maybe even with a British accent, but still has a commanding presence. I'm thinking Anthony Stewart Head from Buffy.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Let me the first to say...

Michael Jackson as Nom Anor

8. DexRicon

May 17, 2003
    "Let me the first to say...

Michael Jackson as Nom Anor"

Michael Jackson and the Vong have the same habits of ritual mutilation, why not just have him play all of them in one way or another?

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That's not a bad idea. Not at all.

10. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Actually, I think Jeremy Irons would be a great Thrawn.

11. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? That's where you take a little bit of poetic license. Rachel Leigh Cook would be good as Jaina. She's small but has a fire in her eyes. Although I do have to admit it would be hard to see her in the cockpit of an X-Wing.?
    Dex, how tall is Ms. Cook? Also what movies or shows has she appeared?

As for Mara, I say stick with the Official Mara Jade, Shannon Baksa McRandle. As far as Karrde goes, Zahn didn?t just fanasize about being his character, he became the official Talon Karrde for the Decipher SW CCG. However, if you were to go with an actual actor, I would probably go with someone older than Mr Sinise. I would say someone more like George Hamilton or Edward James Almos.

12. DexRicon

May 17, 2003
    Rachel Leigh Cook is like 4'11. She's best known for playing the "Pretty-Ugly Girl" in She's All That. She was also the star of Josie and the Pussycats (one of the best music movies ever). The Eighteenth Angel, Antitrust, and Texas Rangers are also some others.

I realize, though, that to say a person is bad for a role because "I can't see them behind the controls of an X-Wing" is kind of one-sided. I couldn't see Hadyn Christensen as Anakin Skywalker, but he got the role straight on. A better example is Tobey McGuire for Spider-Man.

13. MethaneDealer

MethaneDealer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    Okay, she's not an actress, but I could definitely see Shirley Manson from Garbage as Mara Jade. She's got the sexy part down pat, she's got the right kind of voice, she looks kind of athletic, and she's a redhead.

I'd have to say that I can see Jeremy Irons as Thrawn. It fits, plain and simple.

Now, the question is, who would play Kyp Durron, Joruus C'baoth, and Xizor?

14. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Off the top of my head I'd go with Stuart Wilson for Xizor. He did a respectable enough job playing Lestat in that god aweful sequel.
    What age are we talking about for Kyp? Post Empire? NJO? Somewhere in the middle?

15. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? Rachel Leigh Cook is like 4'11.? That?s close, but if I were casting, I would look for dead-on height, but that?s just me.
    As for Shirley Manson as Mara goes, the only person who can fill that costume is Shannon Baksa McRandle. It would be like trying to replace Mark Hamil as Luke, or Carry Fisher as Leia. McRandle has already been established as the official Mara Jade Skywalker; there can be no other.

16. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I disagree. The majority of people don't know who she is. She's known to fanboys, not your casual movie viewer.

17. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    gotta agree with ya on that one Trem...

now on to Jorrus.... let me see... Max Von Sydow
    ok.. here's another one to throw into the Thrawn hat..Ralph Fiennes

anyhoo.. as long as we see Jeremy Irons somewhere i am happy...lol

18. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Tremaniac, my point is that she has already been established by LFL as the official Mara Jade, just as Hamil is the official Luke Skywalker, and Carrie Fisher is the offical Leia. Mara is Shannon Baska McRandle?s part, no one elses. Just because the ?casual? fan may not know about her doesn?t mean that she can have her part taken away from her and given to someone else.
    Seriously, the only characters I would even consider speculating about who should play them are those who don?t already have an official face attached to them: Mara, Shannon Baksa McRandle; Karrde, Tim Zahn; Corran, Mike Stackpole; this has been established as the characters? official faces. Characters such as Jacen, Jaina, Anaikin (Solo), Tahiri, Tenel Ka, Jagged Fell, Zekk, Lowie, etc. have no living people officially associated as portraying that character, which means that they are open season for casting, though the actor should at least physically match the description of the character (i.e. The actress for Jaina needs to be just barely over 4'10" tall with brown hair and eyes).

19. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    She's official for purposes of convention appearances and a face on the CCGs. But since Lucas said himself he doesn't consider most of the EU canon, it's hardly official.

20. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    well...

IMO i have to agree with Trem again....

a casting call should be about finding the right actor to embody the look and feel of a character....

here is a good example of an actor not matching up to their print counterpart...

Hugh Jackman.... not nearly as hairy or as short as Wolverine (( ole Wolvie is only 5'3", hugh is a bit taller)) and lets not forget about Michael Keaton as Batman..

now back to Star Wars casting..

Steve Buscemi as Moruth Doole

21. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Damn, that's a good pick DAK. Lets see how he fairs in the Sopranos as a basic primer for the galactic drug trade.

22. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    next ones...

Dash Rendar.... A mid 80s Dennis Quaid, who has been labled the poor mans Harrison Ford. Face it Dash has always been the poor mans Han Solo

Ulic Qel-Droma... Edward Norton

23. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? She's official for purposes of convention appearances and a face on the CCGs. But since Lucas said himself he doesn't consider most of the EU canon, it's hardly official.?

Actually, it is quite ?official?, especially since LFL?s official stance is that everything not Infinities is considered ?canon?. This includes Shannon Baksa McRandle as Mara Jade. This isn?t just for the CCG or Con appearances, but also for any book covers, and everything else. It is Shannon Baska McRandle?s likeness that graces NJO: Edge of Victory II- Rebirth, not some other red-head?s. It is Shannon?s likeness that graces one of the pages of the NJO sourcebook, in the group shot of the Skywalker/Solo clan. You simply can?t replace her. To a lesser extent, the same holds true for Talon Karrde and Corran Horn having already been portrayed by their creators. These men gave their characters each a real face, after having brought them to literary life.

24. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    but Tramp,

what makes her able to portray a character with the complexities of Mara Jade??? what acting credits are on her resume??? what has she done to proove her acting chops at handeling that type of role???

we can all understand that you are attached to the pics of her in question, hell, that makes it harder to cast an actor in the role, but, as i said in an earlier postliterature to movie conversions are often disappointing to those who cannot detach themselves from the images they have from book..

some good examples of this .. Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan. Tom Clancy thought that harrison would be perfect when he wrote the books, however when it came time to film the TC thougth HF was too old for the role. Stephen King was none to thrilled with the casting of Jack Nicolson in The Shining...

that type of list could go on, but i can bet most folks love those movies and that is how they see those characters.. thats what a good casting call can do, change or enforce the perception of the character from book to movie, and i have to believe that is the true spirit of this thread.... so why not sit back and have some fun with this????? by now we all know your feelings on Mara and some of the others,,, why don't you try to play the game and cast someone??? i know that you could have some very good ideas.

25. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Man Tramp, you must love the word official. You seem to highlight it just about every chance you get!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.