main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Casting Call for NPCs

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Tremaniac, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MethaneDealer

MethaneDealer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    I agree, it is much more difficult to cast a character that you already have perceptions of from a book instead of just a "raw" character. For example, I never would have cast Ian McKellan as Gandalf but somehow it just seemed to fit.

Now, with that out of the way, on to an actor to play a non-"official" NPC of mine. In my game, there was this crazy pilot that popped up from time to time named Sobrano. He flew a Z-95 that had its laser cannons replaced with double turbolaser cannons, but because they required so much additional power to fire, he had to disconnect the shield generator. I think the perfect actor for him would have to be Cheech Marin. It's just one of the funniest mental pictures someone could ever have, Cheech flying around blasting stuff to little pieces in a starfighter while saying "Hey, I'm Sobrano, I can do that!"

Okay, back to the real world...

2. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    It?s not just that her appearance has been established, but that she has already been cast. A real person has already been cast as Mara Jade, not as inspiration for the character, but to fill the role of the character. I don?t know if Ms Baksa-McRandle has any acting credentials, but she has already been given the role of Mara Jade. If LFL were to put Mara in the Jabba?s Palace sequence, (Which they probably won?t) then they would use Shannon Baksa McRandle without a doubt.
    Also, Mara doesn?t have the figure of an athlete. Mara has the figure of a dancer. This is specifically stated when she is introduced in HttE. Shannon Baksa McRandle also has a dancer?s figure as well as red hair. The only thing she doesn?t have is green eyes (Shannon?s are grey), so she wore green contact lenses for the photo-shoots, and if she were to be in a film or series, she would also wear the contact lenses. Shannon Baksa McRandle fits the role of Mara Jade skywalker almost perfectly.

3. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Nevertheless, I'm still looking for a replacement for her casting call. Someone casual fans know. After all, that's what casting calls are all about.

4. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    And I?m saying don?t bother. Take her off the list. Let?s instead try to cast characters who don?t already have someone cast in their role; people like Jacen, Jaina, Anakin (Solo), Tahiri, Zekk, Jagged Fel, Dani Quee, Lowie, Kam Solusar, Tionne, Kyp Durron, etc ; not characters who already have real people cast in their roles, like Mara, Talon, and Corran.

On to other characters, Kam Solusar would, IMO, be best played by Bruce Willis. In Star Wars: Union, Kam Looked very much like Willis.

5. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Sorry kiddo, no can do. She's not cast as far as I'm concerned. Ditto for Corran Horn and Talon Karrde.

6. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    It?s not just that her appearance has been established, but that she has already been cast. A real person has already been cast as Mara Jade, not as inspiration for the character, but to fill the role of the character. I don?t know if Ms Baksa-McRandle has any acting credentials, but she has already been given the role of Mara Jade. If LFL were to put Mara in the Jabba?s Palace sequence, (Which they probably won?t) then they would use Shannon Baksa McRandle without a doubt.

originally posted by Tramp

well... another way we can look at it is ...

WE CAN DUB OVER HER VOICE.. ya know ala JEJ over David Prowse... hehheeh

but seriously folks... who could play Mara, hmmmmn.....
    Robin Wright Penn.. she has the acting chops, shes fun to look at.. I think that will have to be my nomination.

Anakin Solo.. Haley Joel Osmont

Winter.. Nicole Kidman

Exar Kun (( spirit or otherwise )) ... Viggo Mortenson

7. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? Sorry kiddo, no can do. She's not cast as far as I'm concerned. Ditto for Corran Horn and Talon Karrde.?

That?s your problem. We might as well re-cast Luke, Leia and Han then, based upon your philosophy.

Shannon Baksa McRandle is Mara Jade. End of Story. She has already been given the part regardless of how you feel about the situation. Instead of trying to re[cast her character. let?s focus on those who haven?t EVER been cast with real people.

8. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    You can highlight all you like, it's not the end of the story. She's a no one. If she has a SAG card, I'd be shocked. A casting call is for EU characters that haven't been cast in the movies! When I see her in one of the six, I'll accept it. Until then, I'd go with DAK and Robin Wright Penn. Though I think she's a little old for it. Perhaps as Mara in the NJO series?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Please move on from McRandle, Tramp.

Given that the recent picture of Mara looked like Jennifer Aniston you have no hope of winning this debate. Also, since there's never been a part of Mara Jade that McRandle has played, you have no hope of winning this debate. Further statements of falsehoods like "she has already been given the part regardless of how you feel about the situation" will be considered trolling. Given everything else that's going on, I'd hate to have to ban someone for something as trivial as this! :)

10. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    hey Trem...

i was shooting for NJO when i had the idea... i figure if we are doing casting.. we need to cast opposite MH and the original cast..

11. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Ok, I'm a bit behind on the NJO series (I stopped after like book six or so), but I can't argue with that. Though I may have to skim through what I have again to come up with ideas for others.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    (I stopped after like book six or so),

Good call. ;)

(now look at my title and tell me why that's funny... ;))

13. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ?Also, since there's never been a part of Mara Jade that McRandle has played, you have no hope of winning this debate. ?

Actually, there are the Decipher cards, the new one being released by WotC, the statements in SW Insider #47, her likeness featured in the NJO Sourcebook, and on a majority of the NJO books which picture Mara on the covers. Ms Mcrandle has been given the title of the official Mara Jade by insiders; by LFL and its licensees. She was chosen in a real casting call to be Mara Jade, and give her a real face. She has a signed contract with LFL stating such. What other proof do you need?

I have already said let?s move beyond Mara Jade to other characters without real faces already attached to them. Tremanec still wants to recast Mara. I maintain ?No.? don?t recast Mara or Corran Horn or Talon Karrde. Leave them alone and move on to someone else.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What other proof do you need?

I dunno -- how about casting in anything REAL. ;)

15. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    What I brought up are real, as is her contract with LFL and its licensees.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What I brought up are real, as is her contract with LFL and its licensees.

Just like the picture of Jennifer Aniston on the cover of Survivor's Quest, my friend.

But since we're talking about casting for TV/movies and her contract doesn't cover that -- you're still barking up the wrong tree. :)

17. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Sure it does. Her contract is for all apearances. She is the official Mara Jade as stated in her contract.

Like I said before though, let?s move on to other characters. I am not going to back down on Mara, Talon, or Corran. There are plenty of other characters without real people?s faces or names already attached to them in any media. Let?s concentrate on them. Please.

18. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Just as I suspected, I ran a search of her through IMDB and came up with squat. I tested my earlier comment on her having a SAG card, and while the SAG homepage doesn't have actor listings, a search on thier site came up with jack as well. She's a no one, and she's not Mara Jade.

19. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    That doesn?t make her a nobody. Her contract with LFL and its licensees makes her the official Mara Jade. Noone else has that contract; she does. Now let us please move on to other characters.

20. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    She has a license to have her likeness on a few objects, which doesn't qualify her as an actor. Ditto for your other two. Writers are not actors!

21. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    in D&D Trolls are destroyed by fire...

anyone have a flamethrower????

gee ya go away for a few hours and ya miss out on all types of funny stuff.

now onto todys character...

from TotJ Warb Null.. Michael Clark Duncan

22. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Ok, I've been thinking about this, I think Jagged Fel could be played by Daniel Cosgrove (Tara Reids tighty whitey boyfriend in Van Wilder). Clean cut, plays by the book, decent build, looks like he's in his early 20's or so. Anyone else who may work better?

23. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Anakin Solo? Elijah Wood (Frodo from Lord of the Rings).

24. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Two if I may.

Costas Mandolore as Exar Kun. The face kind of reminds me of one of the frames from a Sith War comic.
    The second is something I saw today that kind of surprised me. Laura Flynn Boyle with red hair. A decade ago I'd say she had the perfect look for a younger Mara.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Terrance Stamps acting talents were wasted as Valorum when he should've been cast as Tarkin in Ep3?

25. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Lara Flyyn Boyle??? No. First off, she?s too skinny, and doesn?t have the dancer?s figure; Mara is more voluptuous, like Shannon McRandle, the ideal, and official, Mara Jade.

As far as Terrance Stamp as Tarkin goes, he?s too old.

Here?s a challenging casting: Who would you people cast as Tionne, with her silver hair and ?mother-of pearl? eyes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.