main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Casting Call for NPCs

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Tremaniac, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Hmmn, how hard is it to dye ones hair and get false contacts? Take a 20 something actor for the horrific Jedi Academy series, or maybe Gretchen Mol as the middle aged version. Her hair is so blonde it's practically white naturally.
    As for LFB, I did say what I saw was a decade old. Still better than McRandle though. Although now that I think about it, Nikki Cox has a voluptious build and is the right age for a younger Mara Jade. Although for athletic, businesslike persona, Franka Potente (Run Lola Run, Bourne Identity) could work as well. As for Terrance Stamp, how old do you think he is compared to Peter Cushing in Ep4? A little makeup and I think it's easily fixed.

2. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    No one is better than McRandle, that?s why she was chosen in the first place.

As far as Terrance Stamp goes, he is clost to the same age that Cushing was when he played Tarkin. Not only that, but Stamp looks nothing like Peter Cushing.

As far as Gretchin Mol goes? Who is she? ?[face_plain] Never heard of her.

3. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Ok, I think you're just a bit too biased to voice a logical opinion here. She was chosen over a bunch of other nobodies, not serious actors. If they were to somehow reshoot the entire OT, no where in there would you see her as Mara Jade. Not in Jabbas Palace dancing, most likely not even as a face in the crowd. She's not a real actor, get over it.
    As for the age difference between Terrance Stamp and Peter Cushing, you are correct, there isn't much difference between Cushings age as of Ep4 and Stamps age at this current time. However Stamp looks much younger at this age than Cushing did while filming Ep4, and makeup can fix the rest. Now, as to say they look nothing alike, I disagree. The facial structure is similiar (both have similiar jaws) and the hollowed eyes can be recreated with several nights sleep deprivation.
    Gretchen Mol was Matt Damons girlfriend in Rounders, as well as doing movies like the 13th Floor and the short lived TV series Girls Club.

4. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ?Ok, I think you're just a bit too biased to voice a logical opinion here. She was chosen over a bunch of other nobodies, not serious actors. If they were to somehow reshoot the entire OT, no where in there would you see her as Mara Jade. Not in Jabbas Palace dancing, most likely not even as a face in the crowd. She's not a real actor, get over it.?

No, I will not ?get over it. Shannon Baksa McRandle is Mara Jade. She has the contract to portray Mara, no one else. And if LFL were to add Mara in a cameo appearance to the Jabba?s Palace scene in RotJ, (which is all that they would really have to do) they would assuredly use Ms Baksa McRandle; especially since we have pics of her in her ?Arica? disguise, dancing, already; and she looks perfect. It sounds to me that you simply don?t like Shannon Baksa McRandle.

We are never going to agree on this, so let?s just leave Mara out of this and move on. Every time you bring up a different actress for Mara, I will shoot it down; I don?t care who it is. Shannon Baksa McRandle is Mara Jade Skywalker; not because I say so, but because LFL and their licenees did. If you call that bias, oh well. I would be that same way with any character that already has a real person already established as that character; not just Mara Jade.

?As for the age difference between Terrance Stamp and Peter Cushing, you are correct, there isn't much difference between Cushings age as of Ep4 and Stamps age at this current time. However Stamp looks much younger at this age than Cushing did while filming Ep4, and makeup can fix the rest. Now, as to say they look nothing alike, I disagree. The facial structure is similiar (both have similiar jaws) and the hollowed eyes can be recreated with several nights sleep deprivation.?

Stamp and Cushing look nothing alike. Their facial stuctures are completely different. Cushing?s eyes are not only deeper set, but also narrower. His face is also narrower and longer; his chin more pointed. His nose is more ?hawkish?, and his lips almost non-existant. Even the very stucture of his hair is different (not style, but basic structure.) Cushing had much finer and thinner hair than Stamp does. Stamp has wider eyes, a fuller face, smaller, straighter nose, and fuller lips. Also, while movie make-up can make someone appear signifigantly older, it can?t make someone appear significantly younger, especially not twenty years younger.

?Gretchen Mol was Matt Damons girlfriend in Rounders, as well as doing movies like the 13th Floor and the short lived TV series Girls Club.?

I haven?t seen any of those movies, or that series, so I can?t comment one way or the other on Ms Mol.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay -- everyone move past McRandle. If you'd like to keep giving casting ideas for Mara, go ahead, including McRandle. However, there will be no further discussion on any "official" versions of characters beyond those in the existing movies or TV shows.

6. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Fine, then I'm going with Franca Potente. She's the right build, doesn't look like a supermodel instead of killer, and she is an actual actress. See Run Lola Run. Not into foreign stuff, she was Johnny Depps first girlfriend in Blow.

7. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    //sigh

8. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    That crosses the line.

9. Dr_Steven_Magnuts

Dr_Steven_Magnuts Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2004
    Tramp, I would recomend not paying too much attention to Lord Tremayne's opinion on the matter of Ms. Jade - would you knowingly request advice from a Rasta dark Jedi? I think not. Oh yes, he prefers to be referred as "Big T", BTW.

Only Ms. McRandle posseses the right physical build, inner strength, and appropriate life experiences to BE (not play) Ms. Jade. I'm sure Ms. McRandle's years of child rearing and modeling have given her the inner strength to take the Mantle of Ms. Jade's role, and give a triumphant - nay glorious! - performance in any future SW movie roles.

As for Ms. McRandle's lack of a SAG card, since when has Lord Tremanye concerned himself with rebel "Union" groups? Acting ability does not concern me, Inquisitor, McRandle is Jade. Besides, Ep 1 and 2 have demonstrated that acting ability is insignificant compared with the power of Lucas' marketing machine.

However, if by some terrible misfortune Ms. McRandle was unable to assume the life altering role of Mara Jade, may I humbly suggest to the forum the (last case of course!) option of one who also has dancing experience, as well as extensive acting experience, as well as LIFE experience - Chole.

10. Dr_Steven_Magnuts

Mar 8, 2004
    I would have mentioned this with my last post, but being so completely distracted by the subject of the delectible Ms. Jade/McRandle, I simply forgot to make my suggestion for Director Issard, Ms. Andrea Parker.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/7158/pretenderandreaparkerpic.html

11. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Tramp, I will not come out and say your stance is wrong. It is your opinion, and for the sake of your choosing a casting call, that's all that counts. But your arguement is full of holes.

1st, LFL does not concider everything ever put to print or air as Canon. According to Lucas himself. "Only the Movies and official novelizations arte canon. That's what makes this the Extended Universe. Othersies, this would simply be Star Wars.

2nd, Although both ccg card gamed have caste Shannon as Mara Jade, and Zahn as Karrde, and Stockpole as Corran, that does not make them THE OFFICIAL people in these roles. That is why Shannon is no longer able to go to cons dressed as Mara. Somethign she did when she first got the role. they have protrayed these characters for the sake of the games, but they are not the ACTORS that Ludcas has choozen to put into his films and imortalize in these roles.

As lucas has proven with the prequals, nothing in the EU is safe from him deciding it shouldn't exist. nevermind the conficting account of Boba Fett's history, Lucas has rewrote the origin of the Death Star, and even if you look at the predicted timeline of the CANON Star Wars universe, the age of Ben Kenobi as played by Alec Guiness. instead of a warrior in his 70's, he's going to end up being 60 or so. And this is Canon.

Speackign of Boba Fett, The EU has resurected him from certain death in the Sarlocc. This is exactly what Lucas wanted the character dead. but Fans wanted to see him return, so the EU wrote it up. If you were to ask Lucas about the Character, he will tell you point blank that Boba Fett died on Tatooine. THAT is canon.

I myself like Zahn being caste as Karrde. Zahn wrote the character with himself in mind, and that is how I write for my RPG character. and as much as I like Shannon as Mara Jade, I do not think she fits the description that Zahn came up with. She is certainly attractive enough, especially in person, but Mara was described as having an athletic build. Having a bit more muscle mass. Someonme like the wrestler Lita would be closer.

Again, we can argue this all day and all night, just research Lucas' opinion on these things.

12. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Actually, Reaper, If you check other sources, Sue Rostoni for example, you?ll find that LFL?s official line is that anything not marked Infinities, or in SW Tales, is canon. this is clearly stated in SW Gamer #6 on page 113, which states ??Canon refers to an authorative list of books that Lucas Licensing editors consider an authentic part of the official Star Wars history. Our goal is to present a continuous and unified history of the Star Wars galaxy, insofar as that history does not conflict with, or undermine the meaning of Mr. Lucas's Star Wars saga of films and screenplays.? Things that Lucas Licensing does not consider official parts of Star Wars history show an Infinities logo or are contained in Star Wars Tales. everything else is considered canon.? (Star Wars Gamer #6 page 113.)
    Also, Star Wars Galaxy Collector #3, in the Rebel Report on page 2 says ?There is the so-called Star Wars canon, which officially and finally defines anything and everything within the saga?s vast storyline. If a character or weapon or alien or starship or battle isn?t ?canon?, it simply does not exist- officially that is. Lucasfilm ?continuity editors,? Allan Kausch and Sue Rostoni, are the main keepers and arbitors of this hallowed repository, and their dilligence to it has been a tremendous help to the writers, artists, game designers, and even magaizine editors who work within the Star Wars galaxy? (Star Wars Galaxy Collector #3 August 1998). It is she who has stated that if it is a part of official continuity, it is canon; not necessarily on the same level of canon as the movies, but canon none the less.

Therefore, the Decipher cards are canon sources, as are the new WotC cards with McRandle as Mara Jade. these are film sources, granted still photography, but film none the less; and done with the full authorization and approval if LFL.

As far as Shannon no longer appearing in costume, I believe she only wore the costume a couple of times, and stopped on her own, not because she was told that she couldn?t; nor does it take away from her status as the official Mara Jade. If you notice, none of the other SW actors who appear at cons wear costumes. Therefore, it is not too surprising that McRandle stopped wearing the Mara Jade costume to cons as well, especially while she was pregnant with her son, and now only dresses as Mara when when working on an official SW assignment such as posing for new cards. I also believe that Tim Zahn and Mike Stackpole were asked by Decipher to portray their respective characters for the cards,not the other way around; once again with full aproval of LFL.

And remember, Mara is described with a dancer?s figure, not an athletic one. McRandle has a dancer?s figure, Lita does not.
    Now can we leave this little debate alone, and discuss other characters please?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    First off -- I'm not going to entertain a canon debate in here. Next one saying stuff other than movies isn't canon is banned for at LEAST 24 hours. Period.

Second off -- Tramp, you're close to the line again. Don't make me ban you again.

14. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I'd rather not have to pull out my Thrawn Trilogy books again (having already packed them up), so lets look at it from a logical point of view.
    You're the Emperor. Supreme leader of the Galaxy. All bow before you except for Rebels and Pirates. Dealing with said Rebels and Pirates require a certain type for the job. Do you really think a dancer is going to crush the Rebellion? No! Jade has an athletic build for a reason. She's been trained to kill. The military has this little thing called basic training to whip people into shape. They will build mass, tone muscles, lose excess fat. While a dancer would certainly lose the excess and tone muscle, the building mass isn't really a solid idea. Now, during the course of this training, bad things will happen. Accidents, falls, bumps, not being in a makeup chair for 3 hours. All the more reason Jade should be someone more like Lita, and less like McRandle.

15. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    is it me or did dp4m have a very Vaderesque tone to his last post?

hmmmn.. what next?

someone come up with some new characters to cast..
    why not Sean Connery as Garm ?

16. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Tremaniac, Zahn himself described Mara as having a dancer?s figure, not an athletic one. While there are similarities between the two, they are not the same. A dancer has most of her strength in her legs, as do runners and gymnasts. The type of athletic figure that Reaper described (i.e Lita) is more upper body strength. Mara isn?t that strong in the upper body if you look at renderings of her; she might be a little above average in the upper-body strength department. Most of her strength is in the legs. She is also more sleek, yet, at the same time, voluptuous. She is also a trained dancer, which is why she was able to pull of the dancing-girl disguise in Jabba?s Palace. Shannon Baksa McRandle fits all of these qualities, which is why she was hired in the first place.

? someone come up with some new characters to cast..
    why not Sean Connery as Garm ??

Sean Connery would make an excellent Garm bel Iblis. Bravo.

17. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2004
    A generally unnecessary post with borderline flames...

18. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2004
    I didn't say anything that didn't need to be said, but I appreciate the erase of the entire post.

Good to know Tramp can perpetually walk the line and no one, not even the mods, call him on it with any force. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind when I don't bother to post after Tramp's had his say.

19. Dr_Steven_Magnuts

Mar 8, 2004
    You know, Mara should have a dancer's figure. Lita's not right. Should be more like Nikki Cox.

20. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Dancers figure, strippers figure, it's all the same, right?

21. MethaneDealer

MethaneDealer Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2003
    AAAAAAAAAaarrrrrrrrggghhh!!!

Please people, if you're going to argue about something (cough cough, Tramp), at least have the decency to argue logically!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.