main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting for New Female Lead-Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Sep 1, 2015.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i'm kinda interested to see who will be the "Lando" and "Bail" character of episode VIII. They were both introduced in the middle film of their respective trilogies and also had a significant part in the third film.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014

Why is it more likely? It would actually make more sense for Poe to hang out with Finn, because Finn's still at The Resistance base. Finn can't fly either (yet), maybe Finn becomes Poe's co-pilot. Or Poe learns him to fly so he can join his squadron. Boyega also said that alot of responsibility is entrusted to his charachter. Sounds like he'll become some kind of officer for The Resistance at the end of the movie.

3. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't believe Finn joins the Resistance. I don't think he'll be trading one uniform for another; I think he's probably done with the military after TFA. I expect he'll join Maz and/or Chewie and become a smuggler/rogue. If he's Force Sensitive (which I expect), then Maz will teach him the ways of the Force when they're not being scoundrels.

Under your scenario, when do Rey and Poe interact? Or do two members of the trio of leads just never manage to find themselves in the same place?

Han Drolo likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    like has been said by me and others on here the media can be vague about who Is the lead and who is a supporting actor , remember this is only a rumor at this point.

5. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 16, 2001
    Exactly. Also, the trades(such as the one this story came from) are notorious for their annoying overuse of the word "Lead" when describing any casting for a prominent role(don't even get me started on their overuse of the word "shortlist")... even if that role is only a supporting one. Dealing with these sorts of reports is old hat to those of us who are film geeks, which is why many of us are pointing out that this particular story has a distinct click-bate quality to it. I have no doubt this will be an important character, and perhaps even one with a good chunk of screen time, but we already have the primary "leads" for this trilogy.

TK327 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  6. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    I'm convinced that Finn and Chewie pair off and take the Falcon at the end of TFA and that Finn takes the name Solo as a) a tribute to Han and b) because, as a Stormtrooper since he was orphaned, he has no surname.

It makes sense to me that a young woman looking for solo might turn up on his doorstep, but whether she's a daughter... I'm sceptical about how many relatives we need.

Darth_Bertie and Dean Vantis like this.
  7. DeanVantis

DeanVantis Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 30, 2015

I agree. Some time before, I always thought it would be Poe who would inherit the Falcon and take Han's place, seeing how he was the ace pilot and all. However, leaks and et cetera convinced me that it'd be Finn who will join Chewie as a crew of the Falcon. A small part of me also says that Rey could be the next owner of the ship.

I think if Han has indeed a child, and that character debuts in Episode VIII, in a personal opinion I would like it if Olivia Cooke or Tatiana Maslany plays the role. :)

8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Finn taking the name Solo after Han would be amazing.

9. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015
    Finn Solo
    Rey Skywalker
    Poe Dameron
    Kylo Solo?

This, I like! :p

starocean90 and nightangel like this.
  10. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    After a 24hr meeting!? [face_dunno]

Knessa84 and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  11. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015

Spiritually, perhaps it's possible. Finn embraces the Solo name into his heart, or something...[face_thinking]

Although, I'd prefer it if Finn just honors Han in some other way. If there's gonna be a new Solo child, I think it's best if said character debuts in Episode VIII, played by any one of the three rumored actresses.

12. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Sounds more like shoehorning to me.....

Knessa84 and DARTH_MUPPET like this.
  13. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    Which is exactly why it's not gonna happen.

Dean Vantis likes this.
  14. DeanVantis

Apr 30, 2015
    Yeah, I hope so too. Finn may just turn out to be a mysterious character who's surname may not be revealed for a prolonged time and there could be something tragic that happened in his past.

The new female in Episode VIII may lighten up Finn's personality. :)

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I only know of Olivia Cooke from Bates Motel... so, yeah, she'd do good in a Star Wars film.

16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I kind of think Poe fills in the Lando role already in TFA. Smooth, cocky but respected and "legit" with not the most amount of screen time but a crucial role for sure.

This new female lead is likely to be more like Han in ANH. A scoundrel with a checkered past, either Han's actual daughter, or someone looking for him (maybe he owed her a debt, etc.). Maybe, like Han in the original, her arrival really helps kickstart the adventure/action in 8.

17. hilldill

hilldill Jedi Knight

Dec 4, 2013
    Tatiana would be excellent. I've only seen her in Orphan Black though.

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  18. propeller

Dec 4, 2014
    Maybe Han was an orphan who gave himself the name of Solo in lieu of any other - Finn's taking the name could be a symbol of his kinship with Han in this respect.

And don't forget, Han makes a heck of sacrifice and Finn will develop a real deep respect for him quickly.

I love the idea of Han passing the Falcon (and Chewie) on to this new character. The whole idea of the renegade ex-stormtrooper is an old, old Han origin story (I don't know if its in the EU but it was one of those school ground backstories that was doing the rounds when I was at school), so Finn is already taking on parts of his legacy.

19. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    Most of the information we have suggests Rey gets the Falcon(and Chewie).

20. propeller

Dec 4, 2014
    Erm, I don't think I've seen anything which suggests that 'Rey gets the Falcon (and Chewie), have we?

21. DARTH MUPPET

Apr 16, 2001
    Obviously we don't know for certain that she "inherits the Falcon(and maybe Chewie)" and won't until the film is released, but the ending we've heard about in most of the spoilers has her saying her goodbyes to the other characters and traveling alone with Chewie in the Falcon to meet up with Luke. Like I said though, we don't know for certain whether she inherits the Falcon or just gets a ride to Luke's planet, but based on what we do know, it appears to be the former.

22. turnip white

Dec 3, 2014
    Good grief

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  23. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    She's not just "hitching a ride" with Chewie. It's apparently mentioned in the Smuggler's Run book that the Falcon is difficult to fly without a co-pilot. So, if she or Chewie takes the Falcon, they likely need a co-pilot to go with. They are both flying. Yes, Rey did it earlier leaving Jakku but it looks like a wild ride and even she has dialogue about how hard it is without a co-pilot assisting. If she was going to completely mirror Luke and the Falcon plays no role in her life going forward, she would take an x-wing with BB-8 in the back. But she doesn't. So I think she does get the Falcon and Chewie's life debt transfers to her. Finn doesn't fly and that's a big problem if he was going to have Chewie as his new sidekick. He could learn to fly but Rey clearly has a knack for it. I think, in addition to her jedi skills, we'll see her pilot quite a bit.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  24. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    So Rey inherits The Falcon, Chewie, the blaster and the sabre? Not the tad bit excessive? I don't see anything concrete that says Chewie stays there well into VIII aside from assumed speculation.

starocean90 and sterling3763 like this.
  25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Okay, if we're not going to see any training at all ( and I agree that most of it will likely take place before the beginning of episode Viii, but not all), then why have Luke's Jedi order destroyed between trilogies???? Most of the posters on these boards thought that it was fine that Luke's order was purged (I'm not one of them.), because they said that they wanted to see the start of the Jedi order, the training of the first new Jedi, on-screen. If we're not going to see any of that, then I really don't see the point of destroying Luke's order. It didn't need to be large, but I was really hoping to see that Luke had successfully trained a small group of Jedi before TFA.