main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting for New Female Lead-Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Sep 1, 2015.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so if Poe is part Wedge what does that make Gorwyn who is supposedly in all 3 movies, a quarter Wedge.[face_laugh]

Dean Vantis likes this.
  2. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I agree. I just don't see him being that dedicated to the Resistance agenda, he only Team's up with them to potentially save Rey when you really think about it. Finn seems like he'll follow in Han's footsteps and become a Space Pirate. The info dump is probably a favor to Poe and a show of good faith to Leia. But I don't think this is a AnH Luke situations where he became enamored with The Rebels cause. Poe seems like a proper company man.

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Porkins?

starocean90 likes this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Except the dramatic reunion is already set up in TFA and the end of the first act is pretty much the perfect time for it imo. It creates a payoff and we can move onto the plot.

5. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Luke and Leia has to be a climactic reunion cause it's not like one's been frozen in carbonite for a year. It's been like a decade or more since they've seen each other.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  6. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I don't see how a big battle would bring Rey, Luke, Chewbacca and BB-8 back into the fold. Honestly, I think Rey's story will start off with Degobah-ish training and mystical MacGuffins that lead her and Luke to explore more of Skellig Michael's planet or possibly other mysterious planets like the stuff from TCW. That journey eventually leads to them reuniting with Finn and Poe.

Or hell, they might even go full-on LotR and not have Rey reunite with Finn and Poe until the third film.

DARTH_MUPPET and starocean90 like this.
  7. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    The more interesting prospect is how Rey and this new girl will interact when they meet, especially if there is some blood relation there. Or maybe it'll just be like Luke and Lando. Who knows. It does seem like a deliberate choice to have Rey a bit isolated and off on her own, showing that even though there might be other Jedi out there training, her training is ~special~.

8. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Easy. You start off with Poe(and or Finn)being caught up in a horrible battle with the heros losing. Then Rey/Luke/Faclon come in, scoop up the heroes, and save the day.

Why would you start the pacing of a film in a training montage?

9. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Or you could play it smart and start off with the actual plot and let that build to Luke's reunion with Leia. Which is what I would wager Rian Johnson and Co. will be doing in VIII.

I feel very confident that Rey's isolated status at the end of TFA is very much a deliberate move. Her primary relationship in VIII will almost definitely be with Luke as her master/possibly also either father or uncle.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  10. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    You have to show Rey learning at least to some extent, otherwise the pay off when she uses her skills later on won't be there unless we saw her struggle. Like if she suddenly starts whipping out awesome Force moves. It just doesn't seem right to have Luke and Rey leave base just to be in this big opening battle and then go back to training. I mean, Harry Potter spends the first 3/4 of each book learning a bunch of random spells/concepts and then has to finally apply in the end battle.

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It just occurred to me that aside from Chewie the films have had no alien as a main character. What if the new character is an alien? Like, say, a Twi'lek or Togruta (aka Ahsoka's species)?

KDC1972 and starocean90 like this.
  12. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Or you pull an Empire and have Poe and Finn lose that battle and then that defeat launches them into their journey, while Rey's training in the ways of the Force leads her and Luke into a more mystical odyssey.

Who says it'd a training montage? You just throw Rey into the thick of a specific training session and go from there. Empire does that with Luke and Yoda several times through out the film, each different and moves Luke's journey forward in its own way.

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Her training is most likely over. If there is some sort instruction or something of that nature it will probably be in the form of a task that Luke gives her.

I don't think we are going to see any significant training montages in episode 8. Otherwise Rey would have found Luke at some other juncture. I see that stuff is being set up to be inferred ala Anakin.

14. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    I don't think Chewie will stay with BB8 , Rey and Luke. If this new character spends any long periods of screentime with Finn, Poe and likely Maz, I think they'll all be traveling on the Falcon for some special mission for Leia.

15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Yeah but its redundant and pointless. She has already found Luke at the end of TFA. If there is significant time gap that training has probably mostly been finished.

sterling3763 likes this.
  16. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    But then the question is who has been training other jedi? Is there someone out there who survived jedi purges, their students weren't wiped out and they've been more successful than Luke at establishing a new jedi order? That may diminish Luke's triumph at being able to train a single student and continue to pass on what he's learned.

17. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Oh yeah, Chewie and the Falcon are just a taxi service to get Rey to Luke. I think everyone is going back to base except Rey.

18. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Rey is already more along the Finn in the ways of the force it seems , if either of them will still be a little green when VIII, I think it'll be him.

19. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Finns training with someone or at least learning on the job. Whether it's Maz or whoever this girl is.

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I don't think so. I think BB-8 and Chewie are with Luke and Rey. Remember Chewie is freelance at this point. He doesn't work for anybody.

21. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Not necessarily. Besides, it's more rewarding to the audience to see that training and interaction with Luke. Even if it's only for a short while. If Rey's training itself is finished by the time VIII starts, or if it's near completion by that time, then we'll probably see Rey and Luke go off on their own journey that will eventually lead to them crossing paths with Finn and Poe.

It sounds like the new canon is setting up for some very mystical, mysterious Force stuff and it makes sense to have that largely be dealt with by Rey and Luke (at least on the protagonist side of things).

22. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    I think MSW stuff said Rey's just dropped off and sees Luke alone.

23. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    I think it's highly possible Chewie goes with Finn and Maz to do their own thing. I don't think they'll just fall in with the Resistance movement again like the OT,

Most of us just expect them to just because.

24. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Not really. If memory serves me right, it just says that Rey gets off of the Falcon alone and goes to see Luke. Nothing about the Falcon leaving her behind on there.

Knessa84 likes this.
  25. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah, if they're going to introduce new concepts or sides to the force, both Rey and the audience need to see it explained or demonstrated. I mean, Luke must've discovered some stuff during his time off.