main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting for New Female Lead-Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

That doesn't mean he isn't there. I mean whats the point of BB-8 tagging along in the falcon if its just Rey with Luke?

It also solves any potential transportation issues with Luke from a narrative standpoint. I guess we will know if we see the Falcon take off into the horizon or not...

If not, my guess Chewie lingers around.

2. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Chewie just hangs out there for a year or more while Rey does her Jedi classes? I think he would more likely go back to help Leia and other stuff instead of sitting around.

3. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Probably Maz, assuming that she survives the assault on her castle in TFA.

While I disagree when Rey and Luke will reunite the group in VIII, I do agree with you that Chewie and BB-8 are probably still with them by the time VIII starts. After all, they're gonna need a ride and what better a ride than the Falcon?

Toonimator likes this.
  4. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Most likely bb8, but honestly what is Chewie doing there the entire time they train? His character has more bonding with Finn in TFA than Rey from MSW's account.

5. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I think Rey is already going to be trained up at VIII. I think Finn's growth in the force is what we're going to see in that movie.

Momotaros likes this.
  6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

No, he probably just moves back and forth probably just helping Luke. I mean I don't find it a big leap that he would stick around. I'm sure he leaves the planet to do stuff that will never see. Nor does it matter.

The point is we see him leave with Rey and then when we see him again(with Rey/Luke)its connective to the audience.

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I'm not even sure we will see any training from Finn. I think that will probably happen off screen as well(but for episode 9). I think Finn will probably be like Luke in ESB. Jedi in training who is feeling things out. Without the Yoda moments.

8. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    IMO, Chewie just feels out of place in a Jedi training environment that's supposed to be spiritual and deep. It's like suddenly Chewie pops in during meditation with orange slices.

9. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Come on , we'll at least see Maz advising him of course.

10. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Not necessarily. While she has more experience with the Force than Finn does, I don't think she's nearly as skilled as some people might be assuming her to be right now. Since she was seemingly trained by Luke when the Academy slaughter happened, she was almost definitely a little girl at the time. In that case, her training was probably pretty minimal. She might have expanded on her connection with the Force on her own after that, in a rudimentary way, in order to survive on her own on Jakku, but I think she's probably still pretty green.

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Why not? The Jedi order trained people at a temple in a massive city. I don't see how Chewie occasionally dipping in really matters all that much.

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, maybe. Same goes for Rey. I just don't see any Lukesque training periods for these characters on screen. As I said, I think its redundant.

By the way, any type of info about the force or what have you doesn't have to be in the context of training.

13. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

I take it you've never watched Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra? That sort of dynamic happens relatively frequently and it's actually pretty damn awesome.

Skaddix and Toonimator like this.
  14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

She comes off as Luke's level in ESB. If its a two year training period thats several magnitudes more than Luke got in the OT.

Luke got about a months worth of formal instruction and essentially self taught himself.

The way I see it: Rey should be as powerful or more powerful than Luke was ROTJ. Finn should be where Luke was during ESB(maybe a little more advanced depending on how much instruction Maz has given him).

15. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I have seen Oliva Cooke a bit on Bates Hotel, and she left me with the same impression as some of those young gorgeous british actresses they seem to cast for Game of Thrones. There is some kind of unpredictable but very honest and vulnerable attitude there. Cooke is very young too, about Ridleys age, could there be a rivalry between two young women? Because i am not so sure there is much space for a new leading protagonist in Episode 8. There is room for another villain though, it seems like. Maslany and Rodriguez are 10 years older than Cooke though, and although you can get away with like 10 years in Hollywood, it seems a bit strange to me.

Cooke is also up for Spielbergs "Ready Player One" movie btw.
    http://www.thewrap.com/steven-spiel...le-fanning-olivia-cooke-lola-kirke-exclusive/

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i hope it's olivia cooke. not fond of the other two.

17. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

At least several magnitudes more than what was shown of Luke training in the OT. As you said, he largely taught himself in the ways of the Force. That's the only way that you can really justify Luke's massive growth in the ways of the Force by the time RotJ starts, since he clearly never went back to Yoda until after rescuing Han a year after TESB.

Even if Rey doesn't necessarily train very much in VIII, I think we can expect to see her plot be driven by her relationship with Luke and exploring the mysteries of the Force. At least in the first half of the film.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I think Luke is going to have a very serious influence on Rey, Finn, and Kylo....

There was a rumor a while ago that Rian Johnson had people at Lucasfilm watching "12 O'clock high" as inspiration for episode 8. That movie is an ensemble war film about bomber pilots.

My guess is that the falcon becomes the home base for all of our heroes in episode 8. I be willing to bet that episode 8 is probably some form of a road movie revolving around a chase/race to an objective.

19. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

It wasn't a rumor; Rian confirmed that himself. He also had his people watch a Russian survival film called "Letter Never Sent." I'd wager Rey and Luke's storyline will deal more with that.

20. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Yes! Plus, Chewie could look at it as a place of peace, to mourn Han perhaps. And with the Falcon, he could always pop out if necessary, check in on Han's daughter who's got her own ship/job/life that didn't factor into the plot of TFA.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  21. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    With respect to Chewie and the Falcon, I believe the Han Solo book makes reference how difficult the Falcon is to fly without a co-pilot. Yeah, Rey did it but even she makes mention of how hard it is when she's got the force on her side. You can argue that BB-8 could co-pilot but he didn't seem to do that for Rey. So the question is: how DOES chewie leave with the falcon? Maybe some peace and solitude is what chewie needs or wants so he stays. Who knows.

As far as Rey's training, she's been set up as the reluctant jedi so I imagine her frustrations will come out in full force and they will show some of that struggle on screen. Luke got frustrated and he was guns blazing about being a jedi. Her case is different and probably more difficult in her mindset.

As far as finn, I wouldn't be surprised if he also trained on the skellig location with maz, this mystery woman or whoever. However, it sounds as if filming will begin soon there and I doubt they will have the new female role locked down. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see who films there or if it's just Luke and Rey again. Also, I imagine we will see Finn train (location notwithstanding) because the guy isn't a pilot so I don't see what else he can get up to unless he gets involved in politics or military strategy given his background.

22. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    From the way the story sounds, Finn may be a trainee of requirement; not because of sort of ordination. Rey, if she is indeed getting trained, is probably going to be the same level Luke was at the beginning of Jedi. Finn, Luke at the beginning of Empire. Maybe less. That means most of her training will be off screened.

I have no evidence for this, but I think putting Rey on the fast track is to make her some sort of target of the Knights of Ren's influence in VIII. This may lead Finn to train under Luke in the force as a sort of last resort against Ren. Finn isn't training now because I think we will see his progress; like we saw Luke's.

Something tells me Rey is probably going dark at the end of VIII, or dang near Dark; and may even be the Darth Vader in terms of plot ( not action, I don't think she's killing younglings). Kylo is going to stay rotten, and Snoke is probably going to be betrayed.

I say all this because of the importance they put on these two seemingly Force driven primary characters. What kind of dynamic can two force wielders have if not to check each other in the force? It just becomes redundant if no one has a different outlook. Since Rey will be the experienced one I think she's more likely to play that morally ambiguous space. Plus D23 poster anyone?

This may not be the case, but this "female lead" news could be because Rey being setup for the third part requires less screen time in the second. Maybe this new character actually has a bigger role in this film. (I'm not sure I believe this, but it works.)

I know people won't be down with this idea.

Othini likes this.
  23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    While I agree that Rey being pushed to the darkside is a legit possibility. I don't think her screen time is going to be effected at all. As I said, I think this female character is either a villain or a major support character.

24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    She doesn't NEED to. The ST big 3 dynamic doesn't have to be exactly like the OT big 3 dynamic was were all three were really close. Poe could have a relationship with Rey kinda like Luke and Lando's relationship. Which was pretty none existant.

25. Vehgah

May 8, 2014
    Maybe. But it does make sense in some ways you can parse the story. If Finn and Rey are indeed separated for most of VIII, one side is probably going to be favored over the other. If this character is indeed "lead" and that's not some click-bait done in poor taste, then she's going to have a lot of screen time; and chemistry reads suggest a lot of it is with Finn.

I'm not sure how many villains fit that.