Casting irony

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Obi-Ewan, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Ewan Jedi Master

star 4
    With only a few exceptions (those being Palpatine and Wedge), the old trilogy gave us the same actors in all the parts in all three films. The only Luke was Mark Hamill, the only Leia was Carrie Fisher, the only Han was Harrison Ford, the only Anakin was Sebastian Shaw. With the prequels, however, many of the returning character are played by new actors. It is because of the prequels that we must accept Ewan McGregor alongside Alec Guinness, Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen as well as Sebastian Shaw, Bonnie Piesse as well as Shelag Fraser, Joel Edgerton as well as Phil Brown, and Geneveive O'Reillu as well as Caroline Blakiston. Isn't it strange, then, that the trilogy that introduced so many casting changes, is the same trilogy that has many clamoring for Lucas to take the unprecedented step of digitally replacing the original actors with the new ones, in the name of a "continuity" that numerous other characters don't have?
  2. DS615 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    that has many clamoring for Lucas to take the unprecedented step of digitally replacing the original actors with the new ones

I have never heard this, so the "clamoring" can't be too loud. It's a bad idea anyway.

3. Obi-Ewan Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad someone out there agrees with me. But look around, you'll find people saying A) George Lucas should do whatever HE wants, but at the same time B) he MUST replace the ESB hologram with Ian McDiarmid, and he MUST replace Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen--even though they will make no such demand for any of the other characters played by multiple actors.
  4. hansen Jedi Master

star 4
    As far as I know, only the monkey-lady-Palpatine is the thing most people wants fixing, the others are just wanted by a "few people".
  5. DS615 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "fixing" implies that there's something wrong. The OT is just fine the way it is. Besides, the ESB shot was first. So technicaly, the PT should be changed to look like the ESB shot.
    But all in all, I wish people would give a rest to al of their "tie it together" junk. The fact that all six movies have the Star Wars title ties them together just fine.

6. Max Rebo Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Emperor Monkey Lady Thing must go.

and so must ANH SE Jabba. It now makes it look like somewhere between TPM and ROTJ that Jabba contracted some wasting Hutt disease. (Note to EU people, I've already copywritten that idea, so don't go running to turn it into a novel to explain it)
  7. DarthBurns Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Denis Lawson played Wedge in all three films? Could be mistaken, though.
  8. Max Rebo Jedi Youngling

star 3
    he did. I think the original post talks about casting differences between the OT and the PT, not from one OT movie to another.
  9. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Technically, Vader was played by three people in the OT, David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw and James Earl Jones.
  10. Obi-Ewan Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Denis Lawson played Wedge in all three films? Could be mistaken, though.

A scene was written with a pilot that was meant to be Wedge, but shot with another actor. Maybe the effect is supposed to be that it is another pilot; nevertheless, the script does identify him as Wedge, and that is not Denis Lawson. It's in the rebel briefing before the assault on the first death star.

The hologram emperor in ESB is only onscreen for a minute at most, hardly worth worrying over. When the DVDs come out with monkey lady still in place, what will people say then?

Jabba doesn't really need to be in ANH at all; that scene is redundant.
  11. CommanderConrad Jedi Master

star 4
    Technically, Vader was played by three people in the OT, David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw and James Earl Jones.

Wasn't there even another guy who played Vader for the lightsaber duels? Someone who knew how to swordfight?
  12. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    The OT is just fine the way it is. Besides, the ESB shot was first. So technicaly, the PT should be changed to look like the ESB shot.

Well said. I totally agree with you.

I don't really see the big deal in changing the
    emperor in ESB anyway. We've lived with it for over 25 years, why suddenly get the urge to change it now?
  13. DarthBurns Jedi Master

star 4
    A scene was written with a pilot that was meant to be Wedge, but shot with another actor. Maybe the effect is supposed to be that it is another pilot; nevertheless, the script does identify him as Wedge, and that is not Denis Lawson. It's in the rebel briefing before the assault on the first death star.

Are you talking about the guy who questions the size of the target they are supposed to hit?

I'm pretty sure that it was Lawson in The Battle of Yavin. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  14. Obi-Ewan Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, it's Denis Lawson during the actual attack, but someone else in the scene before.
  15. DS615 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The pilot who tells Luke "That's impossible, even for a computer." The script calls that guy Wedge Antilles.

16. Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling

star 1

Actually, it would be David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw, James Earl Jones, and Bob Anderson. ;)
  17. ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "A scene was written with a pilot that was meant to be Wedge, but shot with another actor. Maybe the effect is supposed to be that it is another pilot; nevertheless, the script does identify him as Wedge, and that is not Denis Lawson. It's in the rebel briefing before the assault on the first death star.

Are you talking about the guy who questions the size of the target they are supposed to hit?

I'm pretty sure that it was Lawson in The Battle of Yavin. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong"

In the briefing the character was Wedge but it was a different actor. In the DS attack bit it was Dennis Lawson as Wedge and he played Wedge in the rest of the movies.

18. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Actually, it would be David Prowse, Sebastian Shaw, James Earl Jones, and Bob Anderson.

My bad. I forgot about that one. :p
  19. Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sebastian Shaw didn't play Vader - he played Anakin.

The only reason I want the Palpatine hologram in TESB replaced by McDiarmid is that McDiarmid was Palpatine in ROTJ. Now, he will be Palpatine in Episodes I, II, III, then be replaced by monkey eye-woman with Revill's voice in V, then return in VI? No thank you!
    All the other characters are fine, but this is a case of genuine incontinuity.
    If it doesn't happen, I'll live with that, but if GL wants to make me happy(which I'm sure he does), he will make the change.
  20. rich-narco Jedi Youngling

star 1
    dudes,

If your replacing stuff because it looks a little dodgy, then you should START with the blooming CGI storm(clone)troopers. Seen better renderings on a blooming playstation2 !! Absol attrocious !

Yoda is totally fine as CGI (even though he LOOKS CGI) and the PUPPET should stay in OT. I'm even cool with monkey lady. Agreed about the jabba in ANH SE. But back to CGI - how come the PT has pretty far from the best CGI characters in modern movies? hmmm?

22.5 cents
  21. Dog-Gon_Jinn Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Can I just say, aww come on get over it?

Yes, Obi-Wan and Anakin have been played by different actors. Guiness and Shaw are dead, and even if they weren't you're not going to make them look younger. It's been done within movies, having an actor for the "Young" version in flashbacks (Indiana Jones). The PT HAS to have younger versions of the characters, and that generally means new actors for the roles.

Another case in point. The Bond frachise has gone through many actors for Bond, Blofeld, Felix Lighter (he changed race even). No one really complains about continutiy there.

I am all for replacing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. He looked too old in ROTJ for a 40 year old Vader/Anakin.

As for Monkey Lady, I don't care if ther replace that or not. I would look good, but it's alright as is.

22. Obi-Ewan Jedi Master

star 4
    I am all for replacing Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. He looked too old in ROTJ for a 40 year old Vader/Anakin.

Apparently the word principle is foreign to some people here. You don't retroactively fire an actor 20 years after a movie is released. It matters not who the actor in question is; Sebastian Shaw has as much claim to his scenes as Alec Guinness does to his.
  23. Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    how come the PT has pretty far from the best CGI characters in modern movies?

Simply because that happens to be your opinion.
  24. OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    how come the PT has pretty far from the best CGI characters in modern movies?

I'd like you to name one movie that has better CGI characters than the Star Wars movies...
  25. Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod

star 6
    I can name a couple, but I think Lars' point is that this is really subjective. In your opinion, SW has the best CGI out there. I might agree with you or disagree because CGI, like all art, is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Let's get back on yopic, shall we?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.