main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Casting plaster mold idea

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by TT-0333, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TT-0333

TT-0333 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2007
    OK I have come up with an idea and I want to know if you guys/girls will think this will work or not and I need some tips. Ok my idea is that if you take plaster bandages and apply to say...your arm and let them dry(or at least harden enough) then cut the plaster bandages of from a cut straight down your arms length let it dry over night. Then put it together again by "Duct sealing" it and then apply release agent. Then pour plaster into that and wait for it to dry then take the bandages off then you would have a mold of your arm to use for size , or to sculpt on.

I understand that plaster does get warm and mybe hot with plaster so i'm willing for that part but will it work and if not tell me why and if anyone has ideas please reply

Thank-you

2. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    You'll be better off getting a friend to help and doing the mould in two pieces (top/bottom).Then proceed as planned.

It's relatively safe to apply plaster bandage directly to skin. I've done face casts that way with only a few problems. All I can say is grease the heck out of any body hair you have.

Make the mould at least 4 layers thick and consider using a piece of a wood along the arm for ridgidity. Attach it with more plaster.
    Overlap the bottom over the top by about an inch and grease the part of the bandage where the plaster will overlap.

3. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    Ok thanks and will the wood like help support it? Anyway I was planning to get a release agent from the same site as the bandages. Not only for my arm but to put it inside of the mold to.

Thank-You

4. abodeofthedamned

Dec 30, 2004
    Use Vaseline. Much cheaper.

5. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    You might find that an alginate mold gives you better detail. No matter what you use, I second the vaseline (from experience). If you're going to make something tight fitting from your arm mold, make sure that your arm is flexed when you make it.

6. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    KY jelly also works.

(plus you have the value added bonus of seeing the look on the cashiers face when you're checking out 3 large bottles of store brand KY... making chest casts is fun!)

7. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    what is ky jelly What size containers do they come in same with vaseline but I know what that is.

8. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    KY is an....intemate...lubricant. It comes in smallish bottles. You're better off with the Vaseline.

9. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    thanks alot xath i was looking online for ky but couldnt find sizs....

10. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Yeah do one half at a time, cutting it would be a very bad idea. Shave your arm if you can, or you can use tin foil or saran wrap if you just need rough proportions of your arm.

I've done it by myself a few times, but it wasn't fun. Get a friend.

11. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    So do one half at a time? And I do have a frined to help me.

12. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Yup. Plaster's cheap. You can afford to experiment.

13. abodeofthedamned

Dec 30, 2004
    Another alternitive is to buy a bag of plaster of paris, mix it in a bowl till it's a creamy consistansy and run strips of burlap through it. If detail isn't a priority this is much cheaper.

14. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    I would do that but my craft store doesnt carry the plaster and i cant find much burlap... but thanks for info and just an FYI its not a detail peice i'm just using it for rough sizeing

15. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I think they have burlap at pretty much every fabric store. And you can get plaster at Lowe's. It's like $4 for an 8 lb. bucket.

16. abodeofthedamned

Dec 30, 2004
    Also look to see if you have any sculpture supply stores in your area. They'll often carry different types of Plaster and Gypsum cements suiitable for casting. Also university stores if they have an arts program will often carry plaster as well.

17. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    hmm guess I never thought of that I should expand my search. Thanks for everything guys.....

18. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    I'm thinking about making a clay mask... but I don't really know where to begin. It's similar to that of say an ancient Spartan.

19. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    We bought store brand KY and it came in huge jars for 3$ or something. Really cheap. ~shrug~

I don't know where you are located, but around here (USA) a lot of craft stores (like Micheals) carry the plaster bandages near the clay and plaster of paris...

The burlap suggestion is good too - sounds much cheaper. :)

20. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Cheaper, but doesn't look as nice.

21. TT-0333

Mar 19, 2007
    Cheaper vs. look........I guess cheap but I dont want it to look crappy lol. Of course I giuess it doesn't matter since i'm just using it for size....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.