main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting Rumors 2.0 - Nothing but casting rumors... or else.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mavjade , Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    If Serkis is in the film it will NOT be a big role.He is Directing Animal Farm.So this seems like a fan's wish,but I have seen him a few times at SDCC on the floor walking around and he really is nice to everyone...plus his mo-cap characters aren't bad either.

2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm pretty comfortable with the changes on the script Abrams and Kasdan are rumored to have done. But we haven't heard much of the rumored Skywalker son and Solo girl we probably could expect to be cast.

Maybe they were locked a while ago, specially the Solo girl.

T-R- likes this.
  3. citizenmilton

citizenmilton Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I don't think anyone was surprised. There was a built-in expectation going into the PT that Lucas would revolutionize filmmaking, again. And, he pretty much did, even though he doesn't get as much credit for it since the critical reputation of the PT is so poor.

I don't think anyone's advocating for Abrams to not use new technology: some are simply advocating for balance and restraint, not merely for the sake of balance and restraint, but because new technology has limitations that must be acknowledged and accounted for in your planning.

I don't think that's a fair assessment of the overall impact of the PT aesthetic. The PT was far more virtual than most films of the era, especially Episode I which had an unprecedented amount of greenscreen. The high number of "practical effects" is simply due to the enormous number of effects shots in the PT films to begin with. Even many "practical sets" were really only partially real, and mostly virtual. For example, most of the indoor Coruscant scenes - you might count them as practical sets since "sets" were built, but I'd count them as virtual sets since the audience's eyeballs are drawn to the incessant CGI animation in the backgrounds.

Well, I'd actually want Abrams to use entirely modern effects and methods - but with restraint and good taste. My worry is actually that Abrams will be going too far in the retro direction. For example, the decision to film in 35mm strikes me as odd and I took it as a potential red flag that he's going to overdo the retro approach and make the film awash in nostalgia. For an example, I'd point to the (first) Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings trilogy as an example where a filmmaker got it right - perfectly balancing new technologies with classic techniques and real environments. And the second trilogy, for the Hobbit, as a place where he frequently goes too far - the mines and the Goblins, the impossibly-flying camera, and the 90%-virtual environments - just too far for my tastes.

And to bring this back to the casting rumors, the addition of Andy Serkis, if true, gives reason for optimism - he's someone who has more experience than anyone in the industry who knows how to overcome the challenges of making virtual characters seem real.

4. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I have been reading over the threads on this board for the past few months since there has been little official information released, and as a result, very little to comment on at this point. However, I have to say the fans on these boards are amazing.....it is inevitable that people will be displeased with whatever Disney does with episode VII. Han's role is too large, too small, etc. I have to say, I highly doubt that "gigantic" equates with substantial screen time. I think people are really overreacting to this word "gigantic". I mean realistically, Han was always a secondary character to Luke in the OT anyways, although, his actions did affect/drive the overall story forward (the bounty, frozen in carbonite, etc.). In the end, we will probably just get the the "death" of Han Solo that has been rumored since the advent of ROTJ.

T-R-, The Hellhammer and Satipo like this.
  5. EffieGray

EffieGray Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 25, 2013

I think your information might be slightly behind. Animal Farm', I think, has already been put on hold (unfortunately) in favour of "The Jungle Book". I remember reading something where he made a point of saying how much work he's put into it, and that it's still his intention to do it, but that that will only be as soon as he can AFTER the other. I am not sure how the Star Wars film(s) might affect that schedule.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Spot on again citizenmilton. Jackson got it right with LOTR. Has made the same mistakes as GL by going too far in the Hobbit films.

vinsanity and Ryus like this.
  7. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I probably overreacted when I first heard the "gigantic" rumor, but that's half the fun of speculating, right?:p

8. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    http://www.list.co.uk/article/60516-star-wars-cast-meet-up/

According to the List, a UK arts & entertainment web site. JJ met with Andy Serkis, Adam Driver, Ford, Fisher and Mayhew yesterday for an informal get together at 34 (a restaurant):

Director J.J. Abrams hosted a bonding session at upmarket London restaurant 34, where new cast members Adam Driver and Andy Serkis were joined by three familiar faces from the sci-fi franchise, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Peter Mayhew ahead of a planned script read through later this week.

According to this article the read through is later this week.

Yancy

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    People will always find fault with things but there is nothing wrong with that, some people think the OT ruined Hollywood and turned it into an endless stream of blockbusters and special effects, some people think the PT ruined the OT, some people will think the ST will ruin this or that. Yet we're all still here cause we're fans. As to the size of Han's role, how "gigantic" doesn't equal "substantial" I don't get, unless we are going to redefine what gigantic means.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Harrison had it written into his contract that he wanted to be a Jedi this time. That's why his role is so large. I heard this from my sources.

11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Just about any idea comes to execution in the end, but I have to say, taken in a vacuum, that sounds awful to me. Just terrible.

T-R- likes this.
  12. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008

[​IMG]

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Han Stabs First

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm calling it. Oscar Isaac is playing Luke's kid. a 5'9" tall actor that bears a resemblance to a younger Mark. [face_thinking]

Ryus likes this.
  15. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    He's too old. Plus he has too dark of a complexion and hair is too dark, IMHO.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

16. Tibanna Gas Mine

Tibanna Gas Mine Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012

But he's learned so much.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  17. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
  18. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    MAX VON SYDOW!!!! HOLY HELL!!!!

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Max Von Sydow...??? [face_dancing]

rezpen likes this.
  20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    ibtl - will miss you casting rumour thread

Gallandro likes this.
  22. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Who is that? Never heard of him. /Jango

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

23. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    TFN forums explode in 3... 2... 1...

24. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I guess that's the ultimate "or else" right there. I'll miss you, casting rumors.

25. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    [​IMG]

Hurling your bodies into the void, without the slightest inkling of who or what is out there....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.