main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting Rumors 2.0 - Nothing but casting rumors... or else.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mavjade , Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Interview with Jack O'Connell
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/21/jack-...y-as-to-what-my-fists-can-do-anymore-4671617/

Well at least he acknowledges the rumors [face_dunno]

Pro Scoundrel and TheBBP like this.
  2. SnaggletoothPaste

SnaggletoothPaste Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Couldn't agree more, I have no idea what they were thinking with that bizarre ROTS Chewie suit. I was still happy to see Chewie just because I love the character so much, but man...<shudder>

LunarMoth and Diggs like this.
  3. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I didn't think it looked bad, but it did seem a lot bulkier.

4. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    ;)
    I'm sure it will be a whole new costume, white hairs and all. Face it Chewie is going to look old!

;)

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I wasn't a big fan of the ROTS Chewie suit either.

SnaggletoothPaste likes this.
  6. darkmarc

darkmarc Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 30, 2013
    Yeah, Thor-vibe. But, as some wise soul said, that's cause Thor was tapping into mythic story-telling just like Star Wars does. My only concern with a Plemmons-Boyega fraternity: cries of pc-pandering/racism whichever ends up darksiding. Then again, this movie will get that regardless so long as any humans are cast, I suppose!

Krueger likes this.
  7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Having one of your leads be black doesn't come off as PC pandering to me. I mean this is coming from a guy who can't stand political correctness.

8. darkmarc

Mar 30, 2013
    No no. Not his being the lead, his remaining lightside, I meant. If he goes darkside the cranks may say "racism". If he stays light, others cry "reverse-racism!"

9. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Either some people need to hold up the sarcasm sign or really need to get a life. I haven't been on here long enough to tell which one.

10. darkmarc

Mar 30, 2013
    Me? Zuckuss the Ruckuss? I think we were both being open & straight-up, just not getting each other. We all endured enough deliberate racist claptrap in this thread 1.0 that none of us wants to even think our comments here could be misconstrued that way. This is coming from one member of an adoptive/biological, black/white brother pairing.

EDIT: Apologies to all! I think I'm guilty off the first derailing. Let me just say, the issue is close to my heart. But back on track: should we credit the awesomecon tweet about PM's medical reason for foregoing his appearance...I wanna say "NO! He's filming" (and not just no documentary, neither!)

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think he's actually my favorite male lead rumor so far. Do you remember where that rumor started?

12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Gotta be honest. I couldn't care less if Peter Mayhew reprised his Chewie role or not. Yeah, he's one of the originals, but he's the guy behind the suit. I hope he is well and all, but whether he's the one behind the wookie hair doesn't mean anything to me since we would never know the difference either way.

13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't share your lack of care, but I do agree that it is not a deal-breaker. Granted, if Mayhew is available and able, then by all means, use him for what you can. It would be great if not just for sentimental reasons. But I don't think that it would take much for an actor to study what Mayhew did, if not even learn from him, to allow Chewbacca to carry on in the saga.

14. darkmarc

Mar 30, 2013
    Respectfully disagree with you both. Look at Chewie. I mean really look. Mayhew's eyes convey a TONNE of character. And his shuffling gait IS Chewie's movement. Ask Filoni et al who had him vet their animation for Chewie on TCW season four. That says a lot to me.

15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Hi everyone! I guess I´m the newbie here ;)

I´ve followed this thread for a long while and I´m wondering if all these rumored actors for a lead role are for the late 20s male we heard a few months ago. Since the first leaked cast call they wanted a late teens boy and a late teens girl, but there was always a late 20s man as well. Maybe is one of those actors and the diversified note is because they have already casted a couple of young actors to fill the first roles.

Regarding the black actors debate, I think it should be no surprise at all. I mean, the Star Trek cast includes actors of every race and they fit pretty well. Also, there has been rumors regarding black actors since September: Michael B. Jordan, David Oyelowo, Chiwetel Ejiofor... The former and the latter even confirmed meeting JJ. This lead me to believe there will be a black actor between the three new faces for sure, and I´m fine with that. The only thing I doubt it´s the age of that particular character. Oyelowo and Ejiofor are much older than Jordan or Boyega. Maybe the rumor that talked about a male part that was for a 20 yo actor and that was now for a 40 yo one reffer to this.

Vastor likes this.
  16. darkmarc

Mar 30, 2013
    Aside from perhaps a couple of OT-mandated limitations (it would be hard, in universe, to explain Han & Leia's biologically produced Asian/Black/Aboriginal child), I hope JJ et al choose based on group chemistry not race, ethnicity, gender or whatever

Darkslayer and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I'd eliminate Michael B. Jordan since he had already been cast for Fantastic Four reboot.

Here is an edited list:

Young males:

Strong Possibility (but only 1-2 from the list)
    Jesse Plemons
    Ed Speelers
    Matthew James Thomas
    John Boyega
    Ray Fisher

Less Likely Young Males( but still possible)
    Zac Efron
    Alex Pettyer
    Jack Reynor
    Dominic Monaghan
    Jack O'Connell

Male Villains:
    Adam Driver-not confirmed but reported from several sites

"Older" Males

Gary Oldman-possible but only based on interviews that are cryptic?
    Benedict Cumberbatch-mentioned, forgotten, then mentioned again
    Hugo Weaving-possible
    Michael Fassbender-could be wishful thinking
    David Oyelowo (not likely)
    Chiwetel Ejiofor

Young Females:
    Lupita Nyong'o-rumored by several sites as being "considered"

I'd re-consider any of the following except for Saoirse (unless she was pulling our legs)-I now think that the role for this type of girl was cast back in either December or January but the secret has been kept very well hidden. However, the lack of rumored girls is rather disturbing to say the least.
    Saoirse Ronan-said she didn't get the part and has too many other projects
    Ksenia Solo
    Taissa Farmiga-quick rumor about auditioning back in the fall then NOTHING
    Rachel Hurd-Wood-first female casting rumor back in early summer then NOTHING
    Lily Collins-rumored to have auditioned back in December, but only reported by a less-than-credible site

Darkslayer and Lurknomore like this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    jedijax Yep, there´s been a huge number of actors rumored to be up for a part. But it´s getting weird these last weeks since we have only had rumors of a boy lead, which makes be think two of those 5 actors will be selected for two different roles, or they have already the young boy and girl and the late 20s male is still not casted.

What if the late teens boy was for the Luke son part and this late 20s actors are up for the non-Skywalker/Solo part?

19. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    If the casted actress is a complete unknown, then it's probable that we won't hear any rumors.

20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Well it wouldn't be a complete unknown. It's not like they'd get someone from a high school or college drama club or a daytime waitress who does community theater on the side.

Even if that were the case, someone would probably still have leaked some auditions. My guess is they had this girl cast quite a while ago no matter what her track record.

And my other guess is that the African American guys are up for the role of best buddy, fellow padawan, or cunning pilot friend/guide or something along that line.

I'm just SHOCKED that absolutely nobody picked up on and ran with the whole fast-fleeting Lily Collins rumor, despite the site it was attached to. She'd be someone that the press would at least look into and possibly ask in interviews since she's been rumored for "How To Be Single". And Rachel Hurd-Wood has been completely forgotten. I just think it's weird-very weird.

It's as if nobody has any interest whatsoever in the prospect of a female lead or co-lead in SW. I think Lily and Rachel may be our two best possibilities right now in terms of who's been mentioned.

21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That's a pretty good list. My instinct is that Fassbender is a no though (much as I'd love him to be in SW).

22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    jedijax I would've included John Noble amongst the "older males". Still hoping he gets a role.

Darkslayer and Dra--- like this.
  23. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    With this total lack of information, we're set up for a belter of an April Fool's Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryus, Lurknomore and Krueger like this.
  24. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I will just be expecting lots of April Fools jokes played on us that day with "scoops" and information from sources. Unless one of the trades or official site has something that day, I will take any report from a fan site as being a joke that day.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Lurknomore likes this.
  25. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    For some sites that sounds like business as usual.

SnaggletoothPaste likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.