main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting Rumors 2.0 - Nothing but casting rumors... or else.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mavjade , Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Moreso than Lupita? I think she'd be the perfect one.

Also, how cool would it be for Ksenia Solo to actually play the Solo daughter?

Dra---, Ryus and Vastor like this.
  2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We're talking about 2 clearly different roles. Lupita fits the ethnic girl they were looking for and was rumored as playing a possible sith/villain. Even if she's not up for an actual villain, her possible role is different from the one for which I listed Lily and Rachel. Not saying that it WILL be one of those girls, but we can only base assumptions or predictions on the information that is out there at this time.

I'd love to also, but was he ever rumored? I don't remember. If he was and never completely debunked, then he should indeed be on the list. I just don't recall whether he was an actual rumor or just a dream cast. (kinda like Chloe Moretz who was a lot of people's dream but never an actual legitimate rumor).

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    You know who I'd love to see land a role as a sagely old surviving Jedi from the Old Order?

Scott Wilson
    [​IMG]

We know he can pull it off, after all. I mean, how great was he in the role of Hershel Greene? As much as I love it, the show isn't quite the same without him. I think he'd be perfect for SW.

4. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Very cool !! Anyways love your avatar =D=

5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    They have simply casted everyone except for one lead and they are waiting to have the full cast to announce it. With the first JJ´s Star Trek the last member of the cast (Chris Pine) was announced 3 weeks before they started filming it. Assuming they won´t delay it more than that, we should have the whole cast reveal during the last days of April or the very first ones of May.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    At this rate, they should just wait till May 4th and go with a bang.

Lurknomore, Fastback and Darth_Bertie like this.
  7. EffieGray

EffieGray Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 25, 2013
    That is nonsense! The open casting can't be ignored. Whether they end up using anyone found that way will presumably come out in the wash, but the possibility of the casting of complete unknowns (or very little knowns) can't be written off to preference. And given the ages being looked for, that includes at least the possibility of kids still at college. We have no idea who might have been discovered during that process. The only info to leak has been re that very good looking mixed race Irish boy (better looking than John Boyega or Ray Fisher), after he lost out. And given that the focus for the girls was also apparently more on a mixed race girl, it is interesting that there have been no rumours at all re any equivalent "known" actress (Lupita doesn't come in the same category, because she is too old to play a teenager). It is still very possible that unknowns are in the mix. To all intents and purposes both Ray Fisher and Matthew James Thomas are effectively unknown, with only theatre experience. And that group of "contenders" were only originally quoted as being AMONG those in contention anyway.

8. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    But "open" casting call should truly mean "open". That means it would be open to those who have had some sort of Hollywood experience as well. Open doesn't mean "inexperienced". I remember in Houston when they had very very long lines for their "open" casting call for Selena, eventually going to J-Lo. J-Lo wasn't that well known at the time, but she also wasn't without experience.

But let's not be naive. Just because they open a role to everyone doesn't mean that everyone or anyone will get it. And it also doesn't mean they don't have a list of 30 people in mind for a role and have some inexperienced people they liked given smaller roles.

And yes, Ray Fisher (I have no idea who he is) and Matthew James Thomas, despite not being well known, do not fit my description of a complete unknown who have never had any professional acting experience.

9. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    LOL...thanks, Vastor.

I don't know about hiring college kids. If this trilogy is meant to span a decade or more like the PT, then casting actors in their thirties who *look* like teenagers (like Lupita), then you can make them look like teens in Episode VII, look their age in Episode VIII, and look older in Episode IX.

10. EffieGray

EffieGray Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 25, 2013
    But the age range for the theoretical "Rachel" and Thomas" roles was very young. And when the casting agents were quoted later on re later stages, It became clear they were concentrating on an even younger range than seemed necessary to start with. So unless they have since rethought the ages again, there are two roles that there really haven't been too many rumours to cover.

Absolutely, there will have been plenty of young (with some experience) actors who will have tried out along with the hoards of no hopers. It is not at all impossible that the likes of Ray Fisher and Matthew James Thomas were amongst them, but they're actually older than the search was supposed to be looking for, so maybe not. And even though the young Irish boy purportedly lost out because of his lack of experience, it isn't sensible to completely dismiss out of hand all possibility of inexperienced actors being cast. We just don't know.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

Good call, he would be fantastic. :)

Jim Beaver might be similarly cool.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think Josh Brolin would make for an interesting troubled Jedi.

[​IMG]

13. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want Jaime Lannister (otherwise known as Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) to play a bounty hunter or something. I mean he already has experience with getting his hand cut off so thats an added bonus ;)
    [​IMG]
    I can maybe see him as an older Solo kid

14. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I think this guy should play a Toydarian:

[​IMG]

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yep he was one of the first rumored, about a year ago. He even spoke about it at a convention & said he'd love to do it:

16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Ooohhhh....kaaaay....I don't think this thread was created to become a wishlist thread.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Well the only cast member who has been officially confirmed is R2D2...so what else can the thread be?

JainaSoloYJK and Dra--- like this.
  18. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Of this list, who was just rumored to audition and who was rumored to be "in talks"? I think when a source, especially a trade, uses the words "in talks", that's much more telling than an actor just saying they tried out for the role.

ETA: When I Google "in talks for Star Wars VII", I get: Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o, Gary Oldman, and Zac Efron.

I personally hope Zac takes a pass on this role and chooses to concentrate on his sobriety instead. The recent news about him down in Skid Row has me worried.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Casting RUMORS. It is literally named: Nothing but casting rumors... or else. There are threads for wishlists and wild speculating.
    Everyone: Keep this thread on-topic or find your account logged off.

20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I'd think that anyone who was ever rumored was so because they were at some stage of being in talks at one time or another. But unfortunately we don't even have enough of that information to verify. The thing is-some of the people listed as being rumors may only be so because they didn't deny being in SW. Therefore, certain media sites may have taken that uncertainty and run with it to create their own rumors. I think of Gary Oldman. Out of the blue an interviewer asked him about SW and he seemed to answer in a very mysterious way and said they talked to him. Then, all of a sudden sites report that he's involved.

But until completely verified or debunked, those sorts of things have to be considered rumors-unsubstantiated or not they are rumors until otherwise notified.

So for the time being, my impression of "rumored" is mentioned by someone other than us, despite the quality of the site or source. That's my take but I don't know if that is good enough. If you were to narrow it down to those who are strongly rumored to have gotten roles, the list is frighteningly meager at best.

Lurknomore likes this.
  21. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014
    THR's wording on Adam Driver is:

That, combined with the Lena Dunham tweet, tells me he's pretty much a sure thing.

THR's wording on Lupita Nyong'o is:

Not very strong wording. I'm sure many actors/actresses have met with Abrams personally.

Variety reported on the 5 actors Plemmons, Speleers, Boyega, Fisher, and Thomas, but made sure to say that:
    So, again, all of them are much less certain than the Driver casting.

It looks to me that these were the only casting rumors reported in THR or Variety. So while they may be the strongest, only one of them is actually STRONG.

I doubt Driver's is the only new character who's been cast so far, so they must just be really good at keeping the others secret.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I can picture Driver playing only one type of character — a military commander and descendant of Governor Tarkin. This could mean two things — one is that he comes from a prestigious background, and the other is that he has a score to settle with the heroes of the Rebellion.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Disregard

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Got it.

25. Lurknomore

Mar 18, 2014

I can picture him as nearly any type of villain: Human, non-human, military, non-military, Sith, you name it. Have you seen him in Girls? He's got a menacing quality about him, even when he's supposed to be romantic...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.