main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Casting Rumors 2.0 - Nothing but casting rumors... or else.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by mavjade , Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    "If word gets out..."

Darth_Pevra and The Hellhammer like this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I imagine some of our posts are going to seem very funny in hindsight.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Likely true, but for now we only have current observations to go by.

4. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    But you need to understand that the movie has been casted.....you are currently walking in a world where some people knows that they will play a character in the next SW movie.

It's not as if we had Artoo and Chewie locked in and that's it.

Satipo likes this.
  5. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Well another week comes to a close and we still know nothing. I was hoping for something this week to build some excitement leading up to May 4th. Even if not a casting confirmation, some news or a vague sense of enthusiasm. Instead we hear that there's a breakfast and Horn is flying out to meet face-to-face with Abrams. We're still not sure what that means (and probably won't know).

Trying to change my tune a little. I'm cautiously hopeful that we will get some info next week and particularly the week after that (that will be one week before principle photography begins). If things are going well, there's no reason we wouldn't hear something. If we don't hear something by the first week of May, then we can have a new conversation.

Satipo likes this.
  6. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008

If I'm Disney/Lucasfilm and wanted to build excitement leading to May 4, I'd announce the week before, not two weeks before. Announcing, say, Wednesday of next week lets the announcement build for a few days up to May 4. If they announced this week, the announcement would lose its steam by May 4 given that any announcement at this point will likely just be cast members (I doubt they'll give us a plot outline or anything else this early). Fingers crossed!

7. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    I don't think...at this point...that they want to build some kind of excitement for a casting announcement.....they will announce the line-up when they will be ready.....we are harcore SW fans and we are about 2% of the market for them...it's insignificant.....the rest of the world won't care if there's a big hoopla or not.

2% of the market are SW fans ... waiting anxiously on forum like this one.....then maybe 10 % of hardcore movie lovers are saying "What's up with the new SW movie ? " and they move on a few seconds later...don't get me wrong.......they look at comingsoon.net everyday....not disappointed by the lack of news about SW since they have news about Avengers 2, Guardians of Galaxy......but they will be pleasantly surprised when SW news show up.

About 30%......will read it in a newspaper somewhere...catch it on the news while watching TV....or will hear about it from a friend.

The rest of the world will learn about this movie throughout the movie magazines that you find at the cineplex....through the posters....the teasers...the trailers....

The day that the casting will be announce will be a great day......but it will only be Day 1 of an amazing adventure....

Satipo likes this.
  8. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008

No, I didn't mean build excitement for a casting announcement, a casting announcement would build excitement for May 4 among the fans. It doesn't lead to anything tangible other than a fresh excitement for the new film among fans for Star Wars Day, as trivial as that may be. I don't even think that if they were to make a casting announcement next week that they'd even mention Star Wars Day at all - it would just be a nice, natural tie-in to a day when we'll all be talking about Star Wars anyway.

9. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    I think that SW Day or not.....casting will be unleashed very soon.....and I find it very convenient to have Horn going overseas this week.....

TheBBP and Satipo like this.
  10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Casting announcement can literally happen any day now. Folks just need to stop getting all bent everyday if it doesn't happen.

Dra--- and Satipo like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Official casting announcements may also never actually happen. "Why do we bother to go to the trouble of putting together these closing credits when we already told everyone who is in the film?".

FRAGWAGON and Dra--- like this.
  12. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    This is true.

Of course, movie projects have also been known to get scrapped.

13. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008

Could you imagine the explosion here if Horn came back from London and was like, "Nope, not gonna happen. Sorry, folks." (Obviously will never happen, but yikes.)

14. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Damn-and with SW we have no opening credits. That means you have to wait a whole 2 hours to find out who it is you just saw!

Btw, when is Horn supposed to be going to London? Did he say an exact date or just soon?

15. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    I wouldn't say 100% that is unlikely to happen considering the story here.

The OT had the Rebels vs the Empire along with Luke's journey and his final confrontation with his father.

The PT showed how Anakin fell from grace and how the republic became an Empire.

For years I have often thought just what the real conflict would be for any story after ROTJ.
    The EU presented this well, but still, those stories seemed a bit forced and were not as personal as the stories told in the movies.

I am not surprised they have struggled with the script and even then the casting. Because they had to figure out what the real conflict was for the ST and if it made any sense.

16. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008

Wait, you actually think they may end up cancelling this film?

17. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    I am not certain of that but yes, it is possible.

If the story isn't good; if the casting does not work out; if it feels 'forced' to have some kind of story after ROTJ - then, what is the point?

Disney already has Rebels on the go and they can also focus on the spin off films.

I am speculating and I do hope I am wrong here. But look how long it is taking to get this thing off the ground.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    You're joking, right?

There is no way they are going to cancel the film. Of all the crazy talk on here, this is by far the craziest. They have cast in place, they have sets under construction/ already built at the studios and 2nd unit has already begun. Still seems as if if LFL/ Bad Robot/ Disney not announcing the cast yet is leading some people to think they don't have a cast, which is not the case.

The worst thing I can see happening, and I hesitate to say it for fear of sparking more fear, is that the shoot over runs. But I don't think that will happen.

19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    There's no way this film gets cancelled... the investors would go ballistic and Horn would be looking for a new job. This film is going ahead come Hell or high water. However, what I could possibly see happen:

1) Horn visits London and meets with JJ. While there are still some wrinkles in the script to work out, and one or two parts to cast, they both decide production can still go ahead (likely)
    2) Horn visits London and determines the production is still running behind where they want it to be and calls for a delay until May 2016 (possible, but not likely)
    3) Horn visits London and finds the film lagging behind schedule. Horn decides he has had enough with the delays and moves to replace Abrams (unlikely... bad press)
    4) JJ grows increasingly frustrated with Horn's "interference," and add to the fact he's not terribly keen on having to relocate his family to England for this shoot, so he reluctantly decides he's had enough and drops himself from the production (highly unlikely... dream job, creative control)

This film is happening... barring nuclear disaster, World War III or destruction of the Earth by an asteroid.

Yancy

20. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Yeah I can't see them cancelling this thing. If anything, a delay may occur, but not cancel it. The profit for the film and the ones after it, no matter how good or bad they are, will be worth the 4 billion dollars.

However, if things remain stale in terms of information, the media may start running their own stories about how it may be cancelled, leaving the powers that be to make some decisions on how secret and elusive they want to make it.

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    As you can probably guess, I reckon no 1 is how it will pan out, but I agree - nothing short of the end times is going to wipe out VII at this stage. The delay already happened. There won't be another. And the second the casting announcements hit, all this bad buzz will vanish.

22. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Wow, I have heard of doomsayers on Episode VII,but to go as far as saying they will cancel the movie. There is not a chance in hell that happens. They have put to much effort in these 2 years money and production wise. To just throw thier hands up in the air and say "Screw it let's canceled it." [face_laugh]

Ryus, Gallandro and Satipo like this.
  23. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hi, mostly lurker here.

I definitely not believe that SW Ep. VII is in the risk of being cancelled; however, from Horn's attitude and keywords (as Yancy has been mentioning) they give the sense of nonconformity of how the project is being led. This trip to London may just be to dot some i's in terms of how it will be handled but it may very well turn out into a split.

I honestly hope so, because JJ Abrams' to me, is someone who wants to be a Spielberg/Lucas but has not been able to create that pop-culture defining piece/vision his influences had. He is the one producer/director that would like to make his Star Wars (so not to say steal Star Wars), thus changing the script, cast and generally micromanaging everything. I'd much rather have a (competent) hired gun (like Joe Johnston to give an example) who follows the guidelines established by Lucasfilm (creatively) and Disney (business). Star Wars doesn't need to be redefined nor rediscovered, just continued. Even if it means postponing the release to May 2016, might turn out for the best.

So, the reason I think there are no announcements is that there is a continuous struggle between the production team and the executive team. Abrams is playing Lucas, but he ain't.

FRAGWAGON and Mystery Roach like this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    So do you think they have cast yet, or no cast?

25. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

I imagine this would be Alan Horn's fate in that case:

[​IMG]

I imagine most all of the cast is in place. From the sound of it, based on Horn's comments and rumors, they may be struggling to lock down one or two major roles. Remember for some of these parts it's not just a one year commitment... you're committing 5-6 years of your life. Plus, if you're a serious ac-TOR you run the risk of being typecast, so you may have actors who are waffling at the last minute..

Yancy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.