main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST CASTING RUMORS

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Yensid1974, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Don't understand why LFL and Abrams would step into the hornets nest of mixing Star Wars with Trek. Am I the only person who sees some serious branding problems with this?

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, what's a bigger story Harrison Ford jokes about Star Wars or Harrison Ford has doubts about Star Wars? You'd think they would care about people learning the truth once the actual interview is released but apparently not. [face_shame_on_you]

newdawn12 likes this.
  3. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002

I've had this discussion before, and I just don't think it's really a problem. I mean we had LOTR mix with SW. I think the Trek thing is not as big of a deal. That and I'm sure like many have said he will probably have make up on. Since most of the warrior Sith's in SW are either Robot/Alien, Alien, or Man/Robot (I guess Dooku/Palp were human) but with our bad guys we like a cool flair to them. I'm sure JJ and them thought about this with long thoughts and process. To ensure that it does not feel like that.

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Trek 2009 almost has the same plot as ANH. And the same director. And it's a space movie with starships and laserguns. The risk of brand confusion is already high. ST 2009 has been compared to SW by many. And you want to add CB of all people to that equation?

Besides, so far all we had that supports this inane CB rumor is a bunch of nothing! Nothing, nothing and nothing but smoke and gospel! Two denials don't make an actor more likely to be cast.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. VesperBleu

VesperBleu Jedi Knight

Oct 5, 2013
    I'd also add that Benedict often completely transforms himself for his roles - be it a hairdo, mannerisms, body language, manner of speaking (compare his roles in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Parade's End, Sherlock, Star Trek Into Darkness or his current film The Fifth Estate). He's like a chameleon, so I wouldn't worry about average movie goer confusing his roles in Star Trek and Star Wars. It's only us internet folk that could be bothered by it. Besides Cumberbatch isn't one of the stalwarts of the franchise - like actors playing main roles - his was a guest villain role in one film, which was probably a one-off appareance. Since he's currently a hot name in movie industry and has an enormous worldwide and internet fan following, I'd think that Disney would be very pleased to have him on board.

BTW, where does the rumour about him playing a Sith Lord come from? Maybe he won't play a villain... (IF he's in the movie).

Jedishine and TheStorm like this.
  6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Huh? How on earth do ANH and ST09 have the same plot? Besides being in space, traveling on spaceships, and having lasers, how were the plots remotely similar? And same director? What the....

Echo-07 and Jedishine like this.
  7. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

That's your opinion. To me ST09 is just doing the typical origin story of a hero. Really there are only what 12 stories to tell? So to me I just don't see such a close thing. It's all about tone. I seriously don't understand the fact that it has ships and so forth make it too close to one another. Just as so many films have New York City in it, with cops, does not make the films alike. SW is a fairy tale. So I think the comparisons will be made even if JJ/BC were not a part of SW7. There has always been comparison since the 70's there is no way to avoid it. But if he is good for the part and they have a plan not to make it feel the same more power to them. I trust JJ with casting, it's his strongest aspect I think.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "The way Harrison twitches his eyebrow clearly indicates there is a 78% possibility that he will be in SW."

black_saber and LawJedi like this.
  9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The rumour dropped to bloggers was that BC would be playing a Sith Lord.

VesperBleu likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Both Star Wars and Star Trek are big enough to avoid people confusing the two because an actor appears in both. I doubt many people are going to look at Benedict's name on a poster and assume it's Star Trek just because of that. It's more likely they'll see the big shining letters that spell out STAR WARS or the Millennium Falcon or Harrison Ford or a lightsaber or any other number of things that are distinctly SW and think "cool a new Star Wars movie!!"

Jedishine and TheStorm like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope BC doesn't get typecast to play villains.

Immortiss and Jedishine like this.
  12. VesperBleu

VesperBleu Jedi Knight

Oct 5, 2013

Thanks! That indeed would seem a bit repetitive and confusing after his outing as Khan. Another villain role in another space adventure movie with JJ Abrams as a director. But It'll be exactly 2 years to the point (if SW VII comes out in May 2015, that is) since STID, so I doubt people will remember him that well. Human memory is fickle.

I'd rather picture him as a mentor Jedi type (the casting call from a few months back had a description of 'a wise 30-something male' IIRC and I'd thought back then BC would be perfect for that).

Jedishine and Dra--- like this.
  13. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, not if his appearance and character are completely different. Who knows, he could be heavily made up a la Palpatine or Maul, or even Voldemort.

Though think he would make a great Jedi.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What if we had a villain this time with an American accent?

Jedishine likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    @ TheStorm

Similarities are deeper than just heroes journey. For instance there is a Death Star in both movies, it just looks different.

Young hero/orphan on a god-forsaken place is introduced to an older mentor figure who was a friend of his father and introduces him to his destiny. On his journey he meets a male foil who is basically the complete opposite of himself. Together they gotta stop a planet destroyer.

Seems close enough. Same basic plot. Its why so many have commented on the similarities in reviews.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Interesting.

As long as his 'look' is vastly different to that of him as Khan - then I would be all for it. If he is a Sith - maybe that would work.

17. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Are you his agent? lol

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes. I'm everyone's agent. I'm your agent as well.

dolphin likes this.
  19. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    You're fired because my life sucks.

Echo-07, Immortiss and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You can't fire me though. You signed a contract which specifically said that you cannot fire me under any circumstances.

21. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Wow, you're starting to sound too much like a real agent. I can tell, because I read your body language.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah it's the way I'm using my fingers to type and convey words isn't it? Dammit, I try to be so subtle and I fail every single time!

Darth_Panicius likes this.
  23. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

Yes I'm aware of that, but I still don't think many see that. It will be some that will pull that forth. No matter what similarities will be made even if there are none. There will always be Trek and War similarities it's just how it's been since the beginning.

24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I asked someone this earlier because they brought up Khan. Is Benedict's character Khan in the latest Star Trek movie? I figured I'd wait until it was on pay-per-view but perhaps I shouldn't have waited so long. Is it a remake of Wrath of Khan? I didn't believe the earlier poster because the 2009 version wasn't a remake of the first Star Trek movie per se so I figured JJ Abrams was going in an entirely different direction. Ugh. Didn't see that spoiler coming.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They've never been closer together than today. Babylon 5 or BSG-new had more similarities to Trek than Wars did. In turn Wars is closer to Firefly or Farscape than to old Trek.

But now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.