main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST CASTING RUMORS

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Yensid1974, Sep 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^exactly, there's not much to talk about atm and this seems a topic that will entertain us for the next two weeks or so when open casting ends.

Actually I was more thinking of debating when VII would be set and the requirments to the big three as actors (de-aging cgi, de-aging makeup only, set about as old as big 3 are now, aging via makeup, dead and hologram/forceghost form)... maybe with a poll guessing the time span ranging every 10 years from post RotJ to 60+. Thread would be designed more as a prediction and technicial aspect of doing so, than casting (though I suppose predictions from casting rumors can't be helped :/ ). Thread would close when we have a timeline date is annouced.

Hope I'm being clearer than I was before sorry about my lack of specificity before...

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I can see it already.
    Official Info Big Three To Have Digitally Younger Heads Attached to Younger Bodies of Unknown Actors

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah, OK. Well, I guess that could be its own thread if the timeline aspect is the main angle. I personally don't see them using these actors in anything other than their "real" state, but it could be open to discussion I guess.

Immortiss likes this.
  4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I honestly cannot see them going the Tron Legacy/ Benjamin Button route on this. It seems like the fastest way to instantly polarise the fanbase/ mainstream again, not to mention the massive costs involved and the fact that Kasdan and JJ have hinted at making things fresh and moving forward. It just seems crazy to me.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I would rather not have the Big 3 back than to have them do that.

6. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I just don't buy it for a second.

Darth Chiznuk , Echo-07, T-R- and 3 others like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, I don't think it would work either.

Darth Chiznuk , Echo-07, T-R- and 2 others like this.
  8. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The buzz would be terrible, and every bit of PR so far has hinted at a return to more of a balance between digital and practical. I wouldn't be surprised if they used FX to de-age them a tiny bit (something that I believe is becoming more and more common), but that would be the limit and personally I hope they don't even do that. Get them into the gym and as healthy as they can be and that's it.

9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    But what do we know?

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To lock the door.
    And hope they don't have blasters.

11. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

I could be wrong, but to me it's common sense.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That isn't very reassuring.

13. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    No new news here: Move along:

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It's more uncommon than you think.

Jedi Merkurian , TKT and Diggs like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    There are really two methods, one of which is absolutely valid as a de-aging technique. The first is using CG to create a head of a actor and put it onto the body of the actor. That is the Ben Button/ Tron Legacy route.

The other one is shooting the actual actors and tracking their movements during the shoot and then going in and removing wrinkles, age spots, etc. They used this on X-Men 3 for the early scenes showing a younger Patrick Stewart and Ian MacKellan. They also used it for Ben Button when Cate Blanchette's character is younger.

The Ben Button/Tron Legacy first technique works for shots requiring little movement and expression. I'm sorry but I didn't buy Clu in Tron Legacy as a real actor when he was "acting" for one second. He just looked weird(mostly the eyes). Most of this has to do with the fact it's a 3D object that then has to be animated from scratch. You can use reference material to base the performance off of. But we know the human face so well it's very difficult to pull off.

The latter technique does work and looks impressive because you're essentially using the actual actors face for the majority of the shot, including the eyes and mouth(very important for the performance). You're just going in frame by frame(painstakingly so) and removing age. This technique, when done well, is better than the best practical "young makeup" done.

But whether either of these techniques should be done at all is another question. I think it comes down to what the story requires.

Diggs, Ryus, newdawn12 and 1 other person like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Also a much more simpler answer: Large casting calls for mainstream movies is nothing new, it has been done in various franchise efforts to widen the net (and get cheap actors to boot!) The focus of spin-off publishing materiel about the classic OT generation is because publishing has zero clue where the story for the future of Star Wars is going so they're going to a standard "holding pattern" of using the original heroes in self-contained stories as opposed to set in stone post ROTJ EU that will most likely not mesh at all with the upcoming sequel trilogy. Also, there is absolutely no way this movie will star Han, Leia and Luke Skywalker by using CGI to put the older Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammil's computer de-aged heads on younger bodies because that is an incredibly goofy idea and it would never ever work for a 200 million dollar tentpole film that is meant to restart a franchise. It will not happen. Ever.

17. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Are you sure?:)

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Also, wasn't able to get this in before the edit time expired but let's, for kicks, imagine a scenario wherein they actually do just cast "meat puppets" in the open casting call but for all intents and purposes, it's Carrie Fisher's de-aged CGI head ontop of it. Can you imagine the publicity tour for that one? Fisher pops up on "The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon" to chat about her starring turn in Star Wars episode 7 where she's all like "oh, the girl they cast for my body was fabulous! Do you see the curves on her? Trust me folks, you want to buy a ticket for this one, Leia looks way hotter once they just slapped my face ontop of the girl."
    "So, Carrie, why did they specifically have to cast a someone who had just turned 17?"
    "Hell if I know. But I look downright fantastic!"

See aforementioned response:

Darth Chiznuk and T-R- like this.
  19. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Why can't we all accept that the ST takes place roughly 30-40 years after the OT and the BIG 3 have aged in the same way as their actors? Maybe Obi Wan's ghost told Luke and Leia about a certain diner on their new homeworld Coruscant and they just had a Bantha Ribs All you can eat a bit too often in the last decades...

FRAGWAGON, T-R- and Diggs like this.
  20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I like actors with wrinkles.

21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

Sometimes the blindingly obvious is too much for people to deal with.

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    What Disney is going to have to pay the Big 3 to return only to CGI them is ludicrous!

Will never happen and by that I mean de-aging or CGI'ing or having younger body doubles. It's one of the most absurd theories I've read on here. Sorry, that's just the trutrh.

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah, for a minute I thought good ole SuperS snuck back on the boards. ;)

Darth Chiznuk and Echo-07 like this.
  24. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Yeah that would suck more than Jar Jar

Echo-07 likes this.
  25. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Wait, did you guys just make up your own rumor, and then decided to freak out over it and bash Disney/LFL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.