main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Castle] Late Night Loyalty (Castle, Alexis, implied Beckett) Updated 11/19/09!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005

[b]Title: Late Night Loyalty
    Fandom: [link=http://castletv.net/]Castle[/link] (ABC crime dramedy)
    Characters: Castle, Alexis, implied Beckett
    Genre: dramedy
    Timeframe: Season 2
    Autor Note: This is my second attempt at Castle fan fiction(the first was 2 two 100 word drabbles posted on another site) so be gentle and know that I love this show and want to do it justice. Reviews are welcome and encouraged. Enjoy![/b]

[b]Late Night Loyalty [/b]

When Castle arrived home at 1:15am, he saw the red head protruding from the top of the couch across the room. He was already trying to be quiet, but no manner of stealth would be able to get by his daughter.

?About time, Daddy?? Alexis called back over her shoulder. ?Where have you been??

Castle hung his coat near the door and lumbered across spacious living area to the couch where his daughter was wrapped in a green blanket reading a newly minted galley proof of ?Heat Wave?. He picked up a pillow which had fallen to the floor and, hugging to his chest, plopped down next to her.

?Who?s the parent here?? he said with mock seriousness. ?I?m the one usually waiting up for you.?

She snorted and placed the book on a side table. ?I think the evidence is heavily stacked against you on that one.?

?I know,? he sighed. ?Sorry to make you worry.?

Leaning into him, she laid her head on his shoulder. ?I?m just glad you?re home. Are you working on a tough case??

He didn?t answer immediately. The case was a tough one. He was thankful Alexis hadn?t turned on the news. A woman had been murdered in her home, in her bed. But, it appeared the husband had been drugged and unconscious during the entire attack. It had been a bloody, macabre scene; one Castle was glad he hadn?t thought of himself.

?Daddy?? Alexis added to the silence.

?I?m sorry, dear,? he replied, passively, still morbidly mulling over the crime scene. ?Yeah, it was bad.?

?Are you okay?? she asked, lifting her head from his shoulder and meeting his eyes.

?I?m fine, Honey,? he replied, putting up a brave front for his daughter. The truth was he was disturbed; and not only that but he left the rest of the team at the station working through the night.

?You don?t look fine,? Alexis said, taking his chin her in hand and looking him over. ?You?re distracted, tired, and, Dad, a little scared.?

He looked her solemnly and then let a small smile curl his lip. ?Who made you so smart??

?What?s could be so bad it?s got you scared?? She asked, intently.

?I really don?t want to talk about it. And, it?s not the kind of thing I?d want you to hear.?

?Dad, I?ve read your books,? she offered. ?There?s some pretty twisted stuff in them.?

?Those are my imagination,? he replied, evenly. ?Even if there is some basis in truth, I?m really not going to tell you about this real murder. Just know it?s bad.?

?How is Beckett taking it?? Alexis asked, regrouping after a minor defeat.

?Worse than me,? he said absently.

?Really?? Alexis was beginning to wonder whether she wanted to know if Kate Beckett was s affected as her father.

?No,? he retorted. ?She?s hard as nails. Barely blinked. But it would be nice to see her vulnerable every now and then. You have to have a pretty thick skin to walk off that crime scene without losing your lunch.?

Alexis looked her dad wearily. ?You threw up??

?Nope,? he answered matter of fact. ?But I almost did.?

?Such hard skin,? she replied, rolling her eyes.

?What do you know, Munchkin? Your old man?s been around the block a few times.?

?Yeah, around the block of your publisher?s office.?

?Ouch!? he cried, bringing both hands to his heart. ?You wound me.?

?Where is she now?? Alexis said through a laugh.

?Who?? he replied suddenly confused.

?Beckett?? she said as if the answer was obvious.

?Oh yeah. Back at the office with Ryan and Esposito.?

?You left them at the office,? she said, incredulous. ?Still working??

?Yeah, so? I have to come home sometime. Don?t I??

?I guess so,? she said. ?But i

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    That was sweet! I love Castle so seeing this made me super excited. :D

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hello:

Lovely daddy/daughter moment full of warmth and caring. :D :D

I think you've gotten me curious about another fandom ... dash it all! [face_laugh] :*

I'd love PMs for updates. :)

[:D]

P.S. Castle sounds like a tough-as-nails on top covering pure marshmallow underneath LOL :* I like that type... a lot. [face_love] =P~

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Okay, first off, i love this show. With a capitol 'L' and a capitol 'Ove.' ;) I first started watching it due to serious Firefly withdrawls - love Mal, but anyway . . .

This was adorable. I love his relationship with his daughter - and here it is wonderfully portrayed. His weariness, past his usueal humor, was poignant, and Alexis' insights into her father were particularly touching. @};-

For example:

?I guess so,? she said. ?But if I were Beckett and I had a really bad case on my hands, I?d hope my partner, who happens to be dashingly handsome, and fairly cable at solving crimes as well as writing about them, would stick it out with me.?

Love it! :D

I would definitely read more if you decided writing for this fandom. :D [face_batting]

Those drabbles, could you link them? I'm curious now, gosh darnit. :p

~MJ
    @};-

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Miana Kenobi:: I'm glad to bing a little excitement into your life, Miana. Thank you for reading.

Jade_eyes: If I've intrigued you enough to check out the show, I am highly satisfied. I'm so glad you stopped in. Especially given that you don't know the show. I wanted to focus on the father daughter relationship first, because Castle's home life is as entertaining as his time with the police. And, your assumptions about Castle are not far from the truth. :D

Mira_Jade:: I just discovered the show this season, Mira. I love it. It has the best supporting/ensemble cast of any show I watch. It's even better than NCIS at the moment. Alexis is a treasure, isn't she. Smart, pretty, and insightful. I'm glad that this is another fandom in which I can count on your support.[face_dancing] Per your request, here is the link to my Castle Drabbles at ff.net.

Chatper 2

When Castle exited the elevator, he was surprised by the darkness of the squad room. Beckett was nowhere to be seen, though the light on her desk was on. He saw Ryan on the phone and Esposito seemed to be searching for something on his desk.

Ryan noticed him and nodded. ?What are you doing back here?? he asked. ?I though you went home to bed.?

?Couldn?t sleep,? Castle replied. ?Didn?t seem right; leaving you guys here working.?

Ryan leaned back in his chair and turned toward Esposito. ?Aww, he likes us. He really likes us.?

?Really, Kevin?? Castle retorted. ?Sally Field? You can do better. Where?s Beckett??

Ryan jerked his head toward the break room.

Castle made his way to the small room, raising a hand to salute the detectives as he passed by.

He found Beckett sitting at a Formica table in the middle of the room. Her hands were cupped around a newly full mug of coffee. She stared, intently, at nothing. He watched her for a moment, not fully entering the room and alerting her to his presence. She truly was a thing of beauty. There was something sad in her, the place where her mother?s murder lives, but also something fierce, some compelling drive to right wrongs, or by proxy right the wrong she has never been able to do.

Finally poked his head into the room. ?Hi,? he said, simply.

?Hey,? she replied, surprised by his return. ?What are you doing here??

?What? You?re not glad to see me whenever and wherever I should show up??

?Of course,? she said, easing a foot forward to push out the chair across from her. ?Have a seat.?

?Thanks.? He sat down and placed his hand on the table, meshing his fingers together. ?Anything new in the last hour??

She looked him with tired eyes raised incredulously. ?No.?

?I see,? he replied, not really happy with how the conversation was going so far. He was only getting short answers and he wanted her to say?more. ?Do you mind if I ask you a personal question??

?Go ahead,? she answered, raising the cup of coffee to her lips.

Such a simple motion caused a stir in him and he almost forgot the question her was going to ask. It was really late and his brain was working on things other than murder.

?What are you looking at Castle?? she said, raising her voice a bit and adding some edge.

?Uhm?er?Sorry,? he stammered. ?I?m not sure where my head went. Anyway, how do you do it, Beckett??

?Do what?? she asked, not sure which way this conversation might go. Castle, the man, had as many twists and turns as one of his novels.

?How do you coolly walk onto a crime scene in which a body has been terrible mutilated and not be affected by it. How is that possible??

She looked him with hard, blue eyes. She blinked softening her gaze. ?It?s not like that, Castle. I remember them all.?

?How do you deal with it?? He asked with genuine interest. He didn?t understand how some could stand prolonged exposure to such carnage.

?Experience and training,? said answered matter of fact. ?It wasn?t easy in the beginning, but you get used to it. I park it all in a special place in m

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Perfect. Perfect. PERFECT! [face_dancing]

I think that I have commented on your ability to capture characterizations before, but here they were especially spot on. I could 'hear' the characters perfectly! =D= That is a true talent, to be sure. :)

And thanks for the link! Not also was I happy to find more of your Castle work, but I was thrilled to find more of your work in general. I will be going through all of that as time allows. [face_dancing]

Onto this particular gem:

Such a simple motion caused a stir in him and he almost forgot the question her was going to ask. It was really late and his brain was working on things other than murder.

Great, the inner shipper in me is starting to stir. :p that was the perfect line - a soft implication that didn't hit you over the head. It merely . . . hinted. Well done. =D=

?Experience and training,? said answered matter of fact. ?It wasn?t easy in the beginning, but you get used to it. I park it all in a special place in my brain and leave it there.?

A great way to describe it. And a great look into her character. What a truly nasty, but neccesary line of work. [:D]

?You worried about my mental health??

?Don?t need to worry,? he retorted. ?I already know you?re mental.? He hoped that would break the tension which had risen in the conversation.

That was just so perfectly THEM that the capitol letters had to make an appearence. Wonderful! :D

Castle listened on purpose and soaked up every word, knowing that such moments of trust with Beckett were few and far between.

I am officially grinning like a loon. :D

Wonderfully executed, the whole of it!

Is this the conclusion, or shall you be adding more? [face_batting]

~MJ @};-

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed that. They seem to have a relationship based on respect as colleagues in crime and friends--though it seems Beckett is loath to admit it--but Castle endears himself despite her resisting :D

The mush fanatic in me wants to read romance into their exchanges but LOL!!!!! That's just me! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.