main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Castle] Most Dangerous - Beckett, Castle - Humor - one-post

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by ardavenport, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Most Dangerous
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: First or second season of Castle
    Genre: Humor
    Characters: Detective Kate Beckett, Rick Castle, Detective Esposito, Detective Ryan
    Keywords: Castle, Beckett, writing, laptop, murder
    Summary: Castle brought his laptop to the murder and Beckett wonders why.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my specialty - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to Beacon Pictures, Experimental Pictures or ABC Studios; I am just playing in their sandbox.

Something was wrong.

Castle was being too quiet.

Detective Kate Beckett's eyes suspiciously shifted from her computer screen to the chair at the side of her desk. He looked his usual self, blue shirt, brown jacket, dark pants. But her mystery-novellist/sidekick had his blue eyes fixed on his own screen on his laptop, balanced on his legs, his expression unusually serious and . . . . focused. She glanced at her watch. He had been at it for almost half an hour. Weird.

Resisting the temptation to demand what he was up to, she returned her attention to her own computer screen and cleared the last of the e-mail that she could not ignore. The reminders for court appearances were already on her calendar and she shuffled off the other junk into the trash. . . . Someone had lost their keys downstairs, . . . A memo from the police commissioner related to a harassment case that put the 74nd Precinct in the news last week, . . . A reminder from Captain Mallory about all his detectives signing off on this year's mandatory Homeland Security training. She doubted that those PowerPoint slides were any different from last year, or the year before. But IT support had fiendishly posted the file on the precinct's internal web page so that she had to click through them all before she could sign off on the training. She would do it later.

She finished off the real work ? the questions from the district attorney's office and the request for background information from a detective in Brooklyn about a case he was working on ? and went back to the open case file for the morning murder that she had started when they got back to the precinct. Ryan and Esposito were still out with the uniforms canvassing the building. The APB on the missing wife was still out.

Beckett looked down at her own notes and started typing.

Castle made a noise.

Fingers frozen over her keyboard, Beckett looked at him suspiciously. But he only had eyes for his own screen. He did have a smug smile on his face, as if he was especially proud of something he wrote. That was more like the Castle she knew. But a moment later he was back to serious and intense. Like the writer she imagined he was . . . before she actually got to know him. And discover that behind his boyishly good looks was just a man-sized boy writer. Curbing her curiosity, she went back to the case.

She had gotten the call while still in bed that morning, hurried through her morning routine, thrown on just simple slacks, gray shirt, gun and coat and was out the door without breakfast in fifteen minutes. But Castle arrived, his laptop in a shoulder bag, at the murder scene before she did. He said that he had already been up, woken up early with a brilliant idea about his next book and was striking while his iron was hot and chronic procrastination cold. Beckett had only taken the coffee and donut he had waiting for her without the bait about his hot iron. . . .

"What've we got?"

Ryan shrugged back at her. "Looks kind of self explanatory to me."

It was.

A man, The Victim, Eric Torquin, late twenties, about five feet, nine inches tall, a hundred and seventy pounds, dark blonde hair, brown eye. One brown eye, wide open in shock and quite dead. The other was pierced by a crossbow bolt that had gone clean though his head and pinned his body to the wall.

Breckett glanced

2. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    That.

Was.

Priceless.

I love seeing more Castle stuff on here! It is fantastic. The characters are sound and I could totally see them doing that.

And the suicide note on the body.

[face_laugh]

I loved every bit of this! Keep them coming please!

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love Castle!! :D This was great--I think you captured Castle and Beckett's relationship perfectly :D And Ryan and Esposito were great!! :D

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Master_Jaina1011, NYCitygurl: Thanks for reading and glad you enjoyed it! I like Castle, but murder mysteries are not really my genre (it's just not Castle without a body somewhere). I don't have a lot of ideas for it, so I was glad this one worked out. :)

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Great job Ann!!

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This was awesome! You had everything down pat - the voices for the characters were spot on, and Beckett and Castle were a hoot. [face_laugh] I loved the mental image of him typing onscene, and Beckett's 'wonderings' on what exactly he was writing about really sent me for a laugh.

But this:

"Ooooooh," Beckett sat back. "So, you're a real writer only when you're writing. And the rest of the time," she glanced at the computer screen turned away from him, "maybe most of the time, you're just a guy trying to sneak a peek at a naked suspect on my computer."

He opened his mouth. And paused. Tilted his head and paused again. "Weeeeelllll, writers . . . . sometimes have to do research."

"Ooooooooh, so that's what you call it. And when you don't stay in the car when I tell you, or go through the things at my desk, or invite yourself to a stake-out . . . . that's just research."

The two detectives standing behind him snickered.

Castle drew back. "I brought deli sandwiches for that stake-out. And desert."

So much brilliance that I couldn't quite decide where to par down my quote. [face_laugh]

Thank-you for this gem! =D=[:D]

~MJ @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.