main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Castle] The Sour Taste of Twilight (Castle/Beckett) humor-angst

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by brodiew, Nov 7, 2011.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Author note: This fic is inspired by a prompt from my good friend Mira-Jade. We'll see if it matched her original intent or not. I hope you enjoy.

Castle/Beckett: Mocking Twilight (Except that Richard Castle is the biggest

Stephanie Meyer fanboy evah!)

The Sour Taste of Twilight

"You've been quiet for a while," Castle said to Beckett, who sat opposite him at burger stop near the precinct. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing," she replied, looking away to hide a dawning smile.

"It's not 'nothing'. You look stumped; like you're trying to figure something out. Let me help."

"When it comes to this, you're beyond help, Castle," she replied, coyly. "I would have thought you were more discerning."

He gave her a faux gulp and shrank away from her slightly at the vague rebuke. "Now I really have to know. If you're challenging my judgment, I must be able to defend myself. "

"If you ask me, there is no defense," she deadpanned, narrowing he eyes and leaning forward to press the effect of her statement.

Castle leaned forward as well, matching her mock intensity. "You. Are. Killing. Me. Smalls."

Beckett's façade cracked and she laughed out loud. "Touche, Castle. But, the fact remains."

"Yes, and?"

"Stephanie Meyer."

Castle's flippancy came to an abrupt end. He stared at Beckett, daring her to say it. "Tread lightly, Detective. But, go on."

"Hack."

Castle pulled in a deep breath and covered his mouth in shock. "Blasphemy!"

"I know the truth hurts, but someone really needs to set you straight about what's good and what's?not."

Consternation pinched Castle's face as he considered his retort. "Who made you judge?" was all he could summon.

"Really, Castle?" Beckett baited. "Twilight is adolescent fantasy at best and a badly written journal of infatuation at worst. The vampires are incidental."

Castle's face moved from mild discomfort to outright horror at her words. He opened his mouth but sputtered in getting out a coherent thought. "How can you say that?" he finally managed.

"With pride," she said, raising her eyes in amusement at his reaction. "Your pantomime of offence really hasn't offered much a counter interpretation. I feel like I'm a hammer and you're a nail. Come on, Rick. Skin glistening in the sun like diamonds? Your writing puts hers to shame."

Castle straightened his coat by pulling smartly on the lapels. "You, Madame, are a harsh critic. While I am thankful that you are a fan, I would not want to be on the receiving end of such a character assassination."

Kate chuckled, unwilling to let his deflections be the end of it. "Prove me wrong, Castle. Tell me where I've erred in my judgment."

Tucking away his outrage, Castle simply replied: "It's a love story. It's about a girl who has tremendous faith in the man she loves. That appeals to me."

Beckett huffed. "A more accurate statement would be that she has blind, obsessive faith in the guy and is so captivated by his beauty that nothing else matters."

"You seem to be getting upset, Kate," Castle replied. "Why does Twilight get you so fire up?"

Beckett ignored him and pressed on. "The writing is so sophomoric, Bella's voice is laced with desperate loneliness, and her actions are almost exclusively self-centered."

Castle tilted his slightly. "Is there something wrong with wanting to be taken care of?"

"What?" Beckett asked, momentarily nonplussed. "No, not in and of itself. But Bella?Bella, she's so?"

"More like you than you'd like to admit?" Castle said, softly, but with a serious edge.

"No!" Beckett responded with a mixture of shock, incredulity, and anger lacing her voice. "I would never throw myself completely into something so dangerous and unpredictable."

"What I hear you saying is that she, the fictional character, is willing to take a risk, for love, and you are not."

Beckett flushed, feeling the heat rise in her neck and cheeks. Castle was twisting her words; deliberately ignoring her point. He was also getting personal; a place she never wanted t

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    THIS. :cool:

I wasn't sure what I wanted with this prompt, but the mental image of Richard Castle aghast and aglow over the glory of Twilight was one of them. And you certainly delivered that. :D

And then you also managed to create something profound of it. Something with an emotional center - more than just banter (which I will still take any day, mind you. ;)) Well done, you clever author. =D=

Some personal favorites:

Castle leaned forward as well, matching her mock intensity. "You. Are. Killing. Me. Smalls."

[face_laugh]

Best childhood movie ever, and it tickled me to see that line here. [face_love]

"Stephanie Meyer."

Castle's flippancy came to an abrupt end. He stared at Beckett, daring her to say it. "Tread lightly, Detective. But, go on."

"Hack."

Castle pulled in a deep breath and covered his mouth in shock. "Blasphemy!"

Everything I wanted from this prompt in four lines flat. [face_laugh]

The flow of the language here was perfect, on top of that - so very Castle and Kate!

"With pride," she said, raising her eyes in amusement at his reaction. "Your pantomime of offence really hasn't offered much a counter interpretation. I feel like I'm a hammer and you're a nail. Come on, Rick. Skin glistening in the sun like diamonds? Your writing puts hers to shame."

Amen to that. :p

That aside, I loved how she managed to work in a compliment, even while destroying his point of view. [face_laugh]

Castle tilted his slightly. "Is there something wrong with wanting to be taken care of?"

"What?" Beckett asked, momentarily nonplussed. "No, not in and of itself. But Bella?Bella, she's so?"

"More like you than you'd like to admit?" Castle said, softly, but with a serious edge

Ouch. :oops:

Wonderful comparison, though. One I never thought to make before, and hopefully one I will never need to make again. :p

"I started out defending Stephanie, but your comments rang so true. Not about her writing or Bella's naiveté, but your own loneliness and obsession with your mother's death. You call Bella selfish, but you've built walls so high and thick around yourself that you simply exist. You're not living, Kate. No one can truly love you. And you can't genuinely love them either. You won't allow yourself to love because you can't stand even the thought of losing someone like you lost your mother."

Ow . . .

Beautifully expressed, and truly so. :(

"For right now, yes."

She turned and walked out of the restaurant.

And that is kinda their problem in a nutshell. :(

Again, this was a great piece, brodie! Thanks for sharing. [:D]

~MJ @};-

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This was funny and sweet and sad. I loved Castle being a Twilight fan :D And poor Beckett :(