main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Castlevania

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Axle-Starweilder, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i have noticed that this games zone is completely without any threads paying homage to the castlevania series. perhaps i'm wrong, or perhaps the directory is innactuate. either way, i play castlevania games, i know that some of you do. i hear there's some new ones coming out, and i've also heard that there's a few in 3D!

but what i really wanna know about is that aria of sorrow game. is it really the best gameboy one? is it really too short? why does a new copy cost so much?

2. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Aria of Sorrow is definitely the best GBA CastleVania game. Harmony of Dissonance and Circle of the Moon were good, but they didn't have the originality that AoS had. AoS was like a whole new game with a little bit of classic CV mixed in. The abilities, the lack of whips, the plot (30 years in the future as opposed to hundreds of years in the past). It's all so fresh and yet so familiar.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Did they ever bring back Simon for a fourth game?

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There was a Castlevania for the N64. The box never said you needed to BUY AND ACCESSORY just so you could SAVE YOUR GAME PROGRESS. I was so furious, you could have omletted eggs on my forehead like a Disney toon . . . that's not funny. Unbeliveably awkward game play too; and you didn't autojump like Zelda games.

It was returned the next day. The Symphony game?

I hired the second NES game once for a day or two. But I remember the original NES. Managed to beat Dracula once, but with 4 hits to die you had to conend with that jumping gargoyle right after.

I . . . didn't jump well.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there were quite a few N64 titles that relied on the memory card for saving, especially in the first few years of the system's life. Blast Corps and Turok come to mind.

If the box didn't mention battery-backup for saving, then the game most likely didn't have battery-backup for saving ;)

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I still haven't beaten the first one.

7. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    somehow, i don't think many have.
    what was the first game alucard was in anyway?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. I believe the characetrs you played as were Trevor Belmont, Alucard, Sypha and Grant.

9. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Circle of the Moon" for the GBA bored me, so i actually skipped "Aria of Sorrow".

Regretting that now, as "Dawn of Sorrow" for the DS is absolutely FANtastic. Best game i've played in the series.

I'm interested in going back at some point to pick up "Aria of Sorrow" just to get the background on all of these characters.

I have heard it's a tough game to find, though..

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Alucard was Dracula spelled backwards, I remember.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He's supposed to be his son, IIRC.

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Besides the 64 version, I don't think there was a single Castlevania I have disliked. The first I played was Castlevania II, and I was hooked on that. Then I went back and got Castlevania, and was completely confused at how different it was. But after that I just kept playing them. I think they get better with time, myself. With maybe SotN being a bit better than the rest.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Castlevania IV was my favorite of the earlier titles- that one room that rotated around you while you had to platform jumpa cross made things really tricky since it messed with your mind's perception of things. Loved that challenge and experience.

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Hmm.

I had a whole response typed out for this 2 days ago, well more aof a rant about how Castlevania doesn't work in 3-d and I'm sick of Konami wasting time with 3-d games, and how there should be a home console 2-d game, but apperently it didn't go through.

And now I don't have it in me for another.

15. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    The one for PS2 wasn't bad, though completely different. I liked it quite a bit really, it's no DMC, but it was something. Not to mention it was nice to see a Belmont again. And Konami abandon 3-D...? I still need more Metal Gear Solid, but I understand what you mean. Contra: Shattered Soldier was a good show of how a good 2-D game could still be made in a 3-D world, IMO.

16. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think they need to try a graphical style akin to Yoshi's story. 3D environment, but with 2D mechanics. IMO (and probably a few million other people's opinions), CV is one of the most well-done 2D series, but obviously 2D graphics haven't gone too far forward.

And I haven't played CoD yet, but I expect it can't be as bad as trying to operate a whip in 3D like in LoI or 64.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ya know, the Revolution's controller might actually make 3D whip mechanics both feasible and practical. [face_thinking]

18. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    i actually just ordered a copy of aria of sorrow as i'm to recieve the DS version and a DS for christmas. i also wanted to get the backstory and all of that, however the cheapest copy i could find was $38 and it was used. on amazon they have new copies, but they range from $86 to $116 or something. just ridiculous.

and as far as i'm concerned the very best castlevania so far would have to be symphony of the night. they really nailed it with that one. it's actually been awhile since i've played it and i'm tempted to start another character, with the uber-luck/keep your armour code. that's why i've liked the gameboy titles so far is that they resemble that one so much. i've heard that aria of sorrow is the closest match to it yet. well, that and the DS one... whatever it's called.

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Oh my...

Holy ****

DoS spoilers

Aikido is Alucard? WHAT IN BLAZES?!!

20. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    so i just got my aria of sorrow in the mail today!!!
    but it's used, therefore no manwell!!! [face_frustrated]
    it's a great game, the gameplay is so much like SOtN that it's eerie. but it's a castlevania game, so it's supposed to be eerie!. or is it erie? anyhow, it is a fine title, the best gameboy one so far (with the possible exception of the DS version, which i have not yet played). i love how this one finally lets you get multiple weapons and doesnt just stick you with the whip. though the whip sword is one of the best i've found yet. the soul system is totally rad also.

for those of you who've played, is the soul system on the DS the same, or has it been re-vamped? (no pun intended)

21. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I am a huge fan of the series.

My favorite of the classic Castlevania is part 3 for the NES which is pretty much the basis for modern Castlevania with differemnt characters, special abilities and a non linear adventure.

Super Castlevania for the SNES was amazing and I too remember the rotating room :D

But I will have to say... Dawn of Sorrow for the DS is just amazing. The visuals, music and the various play options. It beats Symphony of the Night by a long shot in every area except the music,

22. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    awesome, that's truly what i've been hoping for. though for such sweetness, i must wait until christmas.

23. Therren_Cragan

Therren_Cragan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2005
    I have to admit that I enjoyed playing Lament of Innocence on PS2. It doesnt have the classic feel of the 2d games sure, but its fun in terms of pretty straight up action. The only problem that I really had with it was that it seemed a little to similar to Devil May Cry in terms of the way it was designed (not that that is a bad thing, its just not very original in the sense that its so basic of an action game). Honestly I also found The New Generation on Sega Genesis to be somewhat fun, though it really didnt have any plot or story to it. Just alot of fighting (unfortunatley the character with the whip sucks in that game too).

24. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    aria of sorrow question: firstly, i just killed the headhunter, best boss in the game thus far. the unusual thing about this is, i stole he/she/it's soul after the battle was over!! now, i've never stolen a boss' soul before, but have noticed that in the info page about them, each has a little box in the corner for a red check. that meaning of course, that gets checked when you've stolen a soul. so, my question is; can you steal the soul of any boss in the game!?!?!?!?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    On an unrelated note- I was reading about this hidden bit in DoS: apparently if you start a new game for Dawn of Sorrow while you have Aria of Sorrow in the GBA slot, you start the game with the Rare Ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.